Author Topic: wildcat1  (Read 2961 times)

Offline Arlo

• Radioactive Member
Re: wildcat1
« Reply #15 on: March 04, 2016, 07:01:51 AM »
 :salute

Offline Molsman

• Aces High CM Retired
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #16 on: March 04, 2016, 07:20:09 AM »
Molsman, Crazy8s , Crazyman
JG11, DerWanderZirkus, -The Flying Clowns-
               Wait n Bleed

Offline Zoney

• Platinum Member
« Reply #17 on: March 04, 2016, 07:45:38 AM »
Wag more, bark less.

Offline nooby52

• Silver Member
« Reply #18 on: March 04, 2016, 08:03:17 AM »

Flying as "South52" for VF-17 Jolly Rogers
17 Squadron - The Hardest Day Battle of Britain
204 Kokutai - Target Rabaul
610 Squadron -TFT Battle of Britain

Offline DubiousKB

• Silver Member
« Reply #19 on: March 04, 2016, 08:41:13 AM »
Not why I come to BBS....  Clear skies and fair winds...  :salute
56th Fighter Group -  Jug Life

Offline jimbo71

• Nickel Member
« Reply #20 on: March 04, 2016, 12:21:32 PM »
Winter Park, Florida.......I believe.

That's all I got.

Very old age

First of all, I'll share my Wildcat1 story

One night a few years ago was flying along in the MA (I think I was in a KI) and came across a co-alt FM2.  We merged and engaged.  After the first 3 turns I realized I had my hands full.  I think I used every ACM I've ever learned and a couple of improvised ones.  I was one of those white-knuckle fights you remember.   One of the rare ones that someone else is not around to jump into the mix for a pick, friendly or otherwise. 
When the fight was over; rather than send a simple salute or "good fight" on ch. 200, I sent him a PM.

Me: Damn good fight Wildcat1, you flew the hell out of that FM2!

Wildcat1: Thank you.  I should know a thing or two about em.  I used to fly them in WW2.

He told my about the Navy fighter groups he had been assigned to and the CV's they flew off of. I think he said he had about 6-8 confirmed kills.  Said he started with the F4F, then the FM2, then got the F6F's.  He went on to say that he played Aces High to help him with PTSD.  His PTSD wasn't due to the war.  And this is the part that kind of touched me.  After the WW2, he said he was pressured by his higher-ups to "volunteer" for testing of ejection seats.   He said doing those ejection seat tests made him 10x more nervous than any combat sortie he ever flew.

I did some digging, looking for recent obituaries in Winter Park, FL crossed referenced with WW2 vet and found this.  Not sure if this is Wildcat1 but it sure fits the bill.
Either way,  :salute Wildcat1   We appreciate your service Sir.   

WHITAKER, JOHN J, 102, of Orlando, FL, passed away on February 22, 2016, at the Lake Nona VA CLC, Orlando, FL. John was born June 8, 1913, in Columbia, AL and came by train to Winter Park with his family in 1923. John went to the Park Avenue School through grade 9 and began work early At age 14 he was hauled ice to homes off Park Avenue. In the early 1930‘s he was a member of the the Winter Park Volunteer Fire Department and later was a chauffeur to the Withers who wintered in Winter Park and summered near Granville Ferry, Nova Scotia. It is there where he first met his future wife. In 1940 when many of his Canadian friends were already off to Europe to fight in World War II, he enlisted in the US Navy. On December 7, 1941, he was a witness to the attack on Pearl Harbor. His ship, the USS Vega, was in Honolulu Harbor and opened fire on Japanese aircraft as they swept over and circled the city. Military operations included: Occupation of Amchitka Island, Aleutians, Alaska, Luzon, Lingayen, Iwo Jima and Okinawa. He also served during the Korean Conflict Era and in Peacetime. Duty stations included: USS Vega (AK-17), USS Moale (DD-693), USS Lejuene (AP-74) NATTC Jacksonville, FL, NATTC Memphis, TN, USS Stockham (DD-683), Newport, RI, USS Spokane (CL-120), USS Greenwich Bay (AVP-41) and Fleet Air Wing II, NAS Jacksonville, FL. He was authorized to wear the following military ribbons and medals: American Area, American Defense with 1 Bronze Star, Asiatic Pacific Campaign with 4 Bronze Stars, Good Conduct Medal with 4 stars, Philippine Liberation with 1 Bronze Star, World War II Victory, European Occupation and National Defense Medal. He married Dorothy Kathleen How in Annapolis Royal, Nova Scotia, in 1956. Upon retirement from the Navy, rank BM1, in 1960 he opened Whitaker’s Shoe Repair in Maitland, FL . There he enjoyed spending time talking with customers and he became a well-known fixture in the small community. He closed shop and formerly retired in 1994. For the last year he resided at the VA Community Living Center at Lake Nona, Orlando, FL. He was a member of the Fleet Reserve Association, Branch 117, and the Half Century Club of Winter Park. In his early years he loved driving, fishing, golf and softball. Later in life he enjoyed going on drives, exercising, visiting the Winter Park Fire Department, visits from family and feeding squirrels and birds. In the last few years he enjoyed the company of his caregiver, Lakeisha Dunbar, who took him on drives and, with her, he rode SunRail twice. He was the son of the late James Marvin and Mary Caroline Whitaker of Winter Park, FL. He was predeceased by his wife, Dorothy, brothers, Charlie, Robert, and Alfred and sisters Elma, Jeanette and Allie. He is survived by his daughter, Sarah, and many well loved nieces and nephews. He worked hard, was a good man, a wonderful father and will be fondly remembered and greatly missed. The Stars and Stripes Medal was posthumously awarded at a service held at the Orlando VA CLC. Donations in his memory may be made to the American Cancer Society at cancer.org or to the Veterans of Foreign Wars at vfw.org.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2016, 12:23:15 PM by jimbo71 »
xxxJCxxx

Skill, Altitude, Airspeed: You need 2 out of 3...

Offline Zoney

• Platinum Member
« Reply #21 on: March 04, 2016, 01:12:29 PM »
thanks JC
Wag more, bark less.

Offline LCADolby

• Platinum Member
« Reply #22 on: March 04, 2016, 02:15:21 PM »
JG5 "Eismeer"
YouTube+Twitch - 20Dolby10

"BE a man and shoot me in the back" - pez

Offline Tracerfi

• Silver Member
« Reply #23 on: March 04, 2016, 02:16:03 PM »
 R.I.P.
You cannot beat savages by becoming one.

He who must not be named

Offline Ramesis

• Silver Member
« Reply #24 on: March 04, 2016, 02:40:39 PM »
"Would you tell me, please,
 which way I ought to go from here?
 That depends a good deal on where
 you want to get to. Said the cat."
    Charles Lutwidge Dodgson a.k.a. Lewis Carroll

Offline SIK1

• AH Training Corps
  • Gold Member
« Reply #25 on: March 04, 2016, 03:12:20 PM »
444th Air Mafia since Air Warrior
Proudly flying with VF-17

"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG54

Offline scott66

• Gold Member
« Reply #26 on: March 04, 2016, 03:14:44 PM »
 :salute :salute :salute R.I.P.
"scott66"        
 XO ThunderHorse Squadron.    

"This place is a psychologist's wet dream".... FishBait

Offline Someguy63

• Gold Member
« Reply #27 on: March 04, 2016, 05:32:57 PM »
First of all, I'll share my Wildcat1 story

One night a few years ago was flying along in the MA (I think I was in a KI) and came across a co-alt FM2.  We merged and engaged.  After the first 3 turns I realized I had my hands full.  I think I used every ACM I've ever learned and a couple of improvised ones.  I was one of those white-knuckle fights you remember.   One of the rare ones that someone else is not around to jump into the mix for a pick, friendly or otherwise. 
When the fight was over; rather than send a simple salute or "good fight" on ch. 200, I sent him a PM.

Me: Damn good fight Wildcat1, you flew the hell out of that FM2!

Wildcat1: Thank you.  I should know a thing or two about em.  I used to fly them in WW2.

He told my about the Navy fighter groups he had been assigned to and the CV's they flew off of. I think he said he had about 6-8 confirmed kills.  Said he started with the F4F, then the FM2, then got the F6F's.  He went on to say that he played Aces High to help him with PTSD.  His PTSD wasn't due to the war.  And this is the part that kind of touched me.  After the WW2, he said he was pressured by his higher-ups to "volunteer" for testing of ejection seats.   He said doing those ejection seat tests made him 10x more nervous than any combat sortie he ever flew.

I did some digging, looking for recent obituaries in Winter Park, FL crossed referenced with WW2 vet and found this.  Not sure if this is Wildcat1 but it sure fits the bill.
Either way,  :salute Wildcat1   We appreciate your service Sir.   

(Image removed from quote.)

WHITAKER, JOHN J, 102, of Orlando, FL, passed away on February 22, 2016, at the Lake Nona VA CLC, Orlando, FL. John was born June 8, 1913, in Columbia, AL and came by train to Winter Park with his family in 1923. John went to the Park Avenue School through grade 9 and began work early At age 14 he was hauled ice to homes off Park Avenue. In the early 1930‘s he was a member of the the Winter Park Volunteer Fire Department and later was a chauffeur to the Withers who wintered in Winter Park and summered near Granville Ferry, Nova Scotia. It is there where he first met his future wife. In 1940 when many of his Canadian friends were already off to Europe to fight in World War II, he enlisted in the US Navy. On December 7, 1941, he was a witness to the attack on Pearl Harbor. His ship, the USS Vega, was in Honolulu Harbor and opened fire on Japanese aircraft as they swept over and circled the city. Military operations included: Occupation of Amchitka Island, Aleutians, Alaska, Luzon, Lingayen, Iwo Jima and Okinawa. He also served during the Korean Conflict Era and in Peacetime. Duty stations included: USS Vega (AK-17), USS Moale (DD-693), USS Lejuene (AP-74) NATTC Jacksonville, FL, NATTC Memphis, TN, USS Stockham (DD-683), Newport, RI, USS Spokane (CL-120), USS Greenwich Bay (AVP-41) and Fleet Air Wing II, NAS Jacksonville, FL. He was authorized to wear the following military ribbons and medals: American Area, American Defense with 1 Bronze Star, Asiatic Pacific Campaign with 4 Bronze Stars, Good Conduct Medal with 4 stars, Philippine Liberation with 1 Bronze Star, World War II Victory, European Occupation and National Defense Medal. He married Dorothy Kathleen How in Annapolis Royal, Nova Scotia, in 1956. Upon retirement from the Navy, rank BM1, in 1960 he opened Whitaker’s Shoe Repair in Maitland, FL . There he enjoyed spending time talking with customers and he became a well-known fixture in the small community. He closed shop and formerly retired in 1994. For the last year he resided at the VA Community Living Center at Lake Nona, Orlando, FL. He was a member of the Fleet Reserve Association, Branch 117, and the Half Century Club of Winter Park. In his early years he loved driving, fishing, golf and softball. Later in life he enjoyed going on drives, exercising, visiting the Winter Park Fire Department, visits from family and feeding squirrels and birds. In the last few years he enjoyed the company of his caregiver, Lakeisha Dunbar, who took him on drives and, with her, he rode SunRail twice. He was the son of the late James Marvin and Mary Caroline Whitaker of Winter Park, FL. He was predeceased by his wife, Dorothy, brothers, Charlie, Robert, and Alfred and sisters Elma, Jeanette and Allie. He is survived by his daughter, Sarah, and many well loved nieces and nephews. He worked hard, was a good man, a wonderful father and will be fondly remembered and greatly missed. The Stars and Stripes Medal was posthumously awarded at a service held at the Orlando VA CLC. Donations in his memory may be made to the American Cancer Society at cancer.org or to the Veterans of Foreign Wars at vfw.org.

I don't see anything about him flying an FM2.
Anarchy
#Taterz
-=Army of Muppets=-
"Imagination rules the world"

Offline 1701E

• Silver Member
      • VBF-18 Bearcats
« Reply #28 on: March 04, 2016, 06:24:56 PM »
ID: Xcelsior
R.I.P. Fallen Friends & Family

"The only ones who should kill are those prepared to be killed"

Offline Arlo

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #29 on: March 04, 2016, 09:25:36 PM »
I don't see anything about him flying an FM2.

Given the circumstance, I didn't see the value of mentioning that. Just sayin'.  :old: