Author Topic: 2016 "Summer in the South" An AH get together; sponsored byt the 49thFG  (Read 3364 times)

Offline 49MERLIN

• Zinc Member
<S> All,                    THIS IS A PRELIMINARY POST TO GAGE INTEREST!!!

The 49thFG would like to cordially invite ALL current & former AH players to attend our "Summer in the South 2016" event.  Recently there has been a great interest within the 49thFG for our squad to get together and, "commune", in person.  However, the level of interest was so overwhelming that we decided to invite everyone in the AH community that can make the trip!  This event will be held on July 9th & 10th, with the expectation that most everyone will arrive the evening of Friday, July 8th.  Please, realize that we have NEVER done this before and that this is still in a VERY preliminary phase of planning.  Venues have been inquired upon, and finding outlets for entertainment are varied in this region.  We are obviously trying to keep the costs to a minimum, while taking the FUN & entertainment to a maximum. 
     This event will be held in "The Heart of Dixie", The GREAT STATE of ALABAMA!!!  The city will either be Huntsville, which has an international airport for you to fly in to, or in Guntersville, (about 40 minutes drive from Huntsville).  If you read this and then go look for flights to Huntsville, please know that it would most likely be much cheaper to fly in to Birmingham, Alabama, or Nashville, Tennessee and then rent a car to Huntsville for the weekend. 
     We, the 49ers, are looking to cram as much fun & entertainment into one weekend as is humanly possible!  If you are interested please reply to this post so that we may better gauge the community interest in this event.  Expect more threads concerning this topic as we iron out the details of this highly anticipated extravaganza.

<S> 49 MERLIN & 49Dundee
                CO & XO
                 49thFG

Offline BFOOT1

• Silver Member
I'm from North Carolina myself, and I'd be interested in attending!
Member of G3MF
III Gruppe, 8 Staffel, JG52, flying Black 12 (Kuban Scenario)

Offline LilMak

• Silver Member
Well both of those towns have an airport I can land my plane. If the date comes around and I don't have any plans, I might make a cameo.
"When caught by the enemy in large force the best policy is to fight like hell until you can decide what to do next."
~Hub Zemke
P-47 pilot 56th Fighter Group.

Offline DubiousKB

• Silver Member
Well both of those towns have an airport I can land my plane. If the date comes around and I don't have any plans, I might make a cameo.

Swing by Saskatchewan in the great white north on your way down Lilmak?  :pray  Interesting idea 49's, hope you get lots of people and no one get's a night in the slammer!  :police: :police:
56th Fighter Group -  Jug Life

Offline Dundee

• Persona Non Grata
  • Nickel Member
Hell Yes...........I'll be there for sure. I hope to meet the people I talk to on channel. Also looking forward to meeting those who are on the 200 channel as well. I'm glad we opened this up for everyone. If you plan on showing up for a day or a couple of days.....reply to this thread and let us know so we can plan the event better knowing how many intend on showing up.

49Dundee

Offline Ramesis

• Silver Member
jeez... I live in Millbrook, Al and would love to attend but
the neurologist has forbidden me driving on interstates  :bhead
Ya'll have fun  :salute
O
"Would you tell me, please,
 which way I ought to go from here?
 That depends a good deal on where
 you want to get to. Said the cat."
    Charles Lutwidge Dodgson a.k.a. Lewis Carroll

Offline Dundee

• Persona Non Grata
  • Nickel Member
<S> All,                    THIS IS A PRELIMINARY POST TO GAGE INTEREST!!!

The 49thFG would like to cordially invite ALL current & former AH players to attend our "Summer in the South 2016" event.  Recently there has been a great interest within the 49thFG for our squad to get together and, "commune", in person.  However, the level of interest was so overwhelming that we decided to invite everyone in the AH community that can make the trip!  This event will be held on July 9th & 10th, with the expectation that most everyone will arrive the evening of Friday, July 8th.  Please, realize that we have NEVER done this before and that this is still in a VERY preliminary phase of planning.  Venues have been inquired upon, and finding outlets for entertainment are varied in this region.  We are obviously trying to keep the costs to a minimum, while taking the FUN & entertainment to a maximum. 
     This event will be held in "The Heart of Dixie", The GREAT STATE of ALABAMA!!!  The city will either be Huntsville, which has an international airport for you to fly in to, or in Guntersville, (about 40 minutes drive from Huntsville).  If you read this and then go look for flights to Huntsville, please know that it would most likely be much cheaper to fly in to Birmingham, Alabama, or Nashville, Tennessee and then rent a car to Huntsville for the weekend. 
     We, the 49ers, are looking to cram as much fun & entertainment into one weekend as is humanly possible!  If you are interested please reply to this post so that we may better gauge the community interest in this event.  Expect more threads concerning this topic as we iron out the details of this highly anticipated extravaganza.

<S> 49 MERLIN & 49Dundee
                CO & XO
                 49thFG

Some of the attractions in Huntsville, AL.

« Last Edit: March 10, 2016, 04:39:03 PM by Dundee »

Offline 1MADDOG1

• Silver Member
Hmmm, very interesting. :noid Not too far from Pensacola. Me and my alter ego's might have an interest in crashing the party.
:old: SM1/E-6 USN 1980-1991 (100% Disabled Vet) Served on FFG-11, FFG-13, FF-1047, LHD-1, HC-16, NAS Pensacola (Navy Police)
Multi AHXARL Season & Finale Champion, Having Fun Since Tour #76
I'm also PorkyPig, DickWeed, 1CASPER1 & Calypso

Offline Ramesis

• Silver Member
I used to go to Guntersville to install and sercice several MRIs.
Maybe I'm wrong but isn't there a small airpot between Guntersville and
Huntsville that houses a WW1 era museum including WWI aircraft?
"Would you tell me, please,
 which way I ought to go from here?
 That depends a good deal on where
 you want to get to. Said the cat."
    Charles Lutwidge Dodgson a.k.a. Lewis Carroll

Offline Dundee

• Persona Non Grata
  • Nickel Member
I used to go to Guntersville to install and sercice several MRIs.
Maybe I'm wrong but isn't there a small airpot between Guntersville and
Huntsville that houses a WW1 era museum including WWI aircraft?

Yes there is and we are looking into contacting that place to maybe arrange rides in some of those WW I aircraft that weekend, trying to work out a deal.........more to follow

Offline JimmyC

• Platinum Member
Re: 2016 "Summer in the South" An AH get together; sponsored byt the 49thFG
« Reply #10 on: March 12, 2016, 01:30:20 PM »
It all sounds mighty fine..
But why can I hear banjos in the background......
CO 71 "Eagle" Squadron RAF
"I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy."

Offline MrKrabs

• Gold Member
      • AH-Freebirds.com
« Reply #11 on: March 12, 2016, 06:45:04 PM »
Are pants required?  :old:

This is an important question many want to ask.  :old:
The boiling pot is put away and the crab has gone back to sea...

Offline scott66

• Gold Member
« Reply #12 on: March 13, 2016, 12:27:52 PM »
^^^^^^^ this :devil
"scott66"        
 XO ThunderHorse Squadron.    

"This place is a psychologist's wet dream".... FishBait

Offline JVboob

• Nickel Member
« Reply #13 on: March 15, 2016, 06:25:34 PM »
So if anyone goes to jail whos gonna start a go fund me?
"Sighhhhhhhhhh, office closed do to ice for a day, And I miss a thread like this.."HiTech
Armed N Hammered 2002-2003
JG44 Night Hawks/JV44 Butcher Birds 2003-2009
49th Fighter Group fightn' 49ers Feb2012-present
138th FW Tulsa, OK 2009-2015

Offline Changeup

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
      • Das Muppets
« Reply #14 on: March 16, 2016, 08:55:32 PM »
Low country boil?

IN
"Such is the nature of war.  By protecting others, you save yourself."

"Those who are skilled in combat do not become angered.  Those who are skilled at winning do not become afraid.  Thus, the wise win before the fight, while the ignorant fight to win." - Morihei Ueshiba