Author Topic: Oculus Rift use...  (Read 20760 times)

Offline Vulcan

• Plutonium Member
Re: Oculus Rift use...
« Reply #30 on: March 28, 2016, 09:07:10 AM »
So this means you wish to help me with alpha testing next week? :devil

HiTech

yup!

Offline Wraith_TMS

• Copper Member
      • My Web Depot
« Reply #31 on: March 28, 2016, 01:40:16 PM »
So this means you wish to help me with alpha testing next week? :devil

HiTech

That's great progress!   Unfortunately, all I can do is add to the VR hype train, so...

The Rift consumer version (CV1) started shipping today, so there’s lots of buzz in VR circles right now.  There was an embargo on reviews and such until today, so here’s a few links for any who are interested.   Unless any of you are going to buy second-hand Dev Kit units, the CV unit is what you’ll be ordering (although there's a backlog, apparently--they're out of stock for weeks/months).

First is Tom’s Hardware Oculus Rift Review of the CV1.  Fairly lengthy and in-depth, includes recommended PC – VR specs:
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/oculus-rift-virtual-reality-hmd,4506.html

Here is Polygon’s review, less tech/specs-oriented but fairly thorough:
http://www.polygon.com/2016/3/28/11306708/oculus-rift-review

Here is info that may be eventually be applicable to AH as an independent game, because even though Oculus has set up its online Store to sell VR games/apps, developers are still free to distribute games outside of it.  Yet it appears that there are still details to know about how to run such non-Oculus Store sourced games on the Rifts: https://support.oculus.com/878170922281071

FWIW,

o--[--Wraith----   
The Musketeers 
(In-game: Wraithe)
"Never try to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and it annoys the pig." -- R. A. Heinlein

Offline Vulcan

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #32 on: March 29, 2016, 07:36:49 PM »
It's ummm next week HT... where's the test code  :devil

Offline Waffle

• HTC Staff Member
  • Administrator
      • HiTech Creations Inc. Aces High
« Reply #33 on: March 29, 2016, 09:15:45 PM »
It's ummm next week HT... where's the test code  :devil
I almost threw up a few lines of it after 30 seconds of testing.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

Offline Vulcan

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #34 on: March 30, 2016, 02:21:45 AM »

It certainly separates the men from the lady-boys.

Offline Mister Fork

• AvA Staff Member
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #35 on: March 30, 2016, 09:35:31 AM »

Change how far the eyepiece is from your face Waffle - I ended up having it super close to my face to avoid 'that' feeling of being spun on a tire swing.  Then again, I don't get motion sickness at all - one would say I have very good sea legs. :D
"Games are meant to be fun and fair but fighting a war is neither." - HiTech

Offline Wraith_TMS

• Copper Member
      • My Web Depot
« Reply #36 on: March 30, 2016, 02:28:28 PM »
Change how far the eyepiece is from your face Waffle - I ended up having it super close to my face to avoid 'that' feeling of being spun on a tire swing.  Then again, I don't get motion sickness at all - one would say I have very good sea legs. :D

This begs what may be a premature question, since it's early days with VR work but:

At what point—if at all—would it be appropriate to announce that VR is officially in development for AH3, so that a larger pool of alpha/beta testers who own headsets, including CV1 and Vive owners, might be recruited, maybe from sources like Reddit’s r/Oculus forum membership?

Many of those folks also have their “sea legs”, know VR enough to spot what needs attention and therefore might offer valuable insights or suggestions to improve VR functionality/experience in AH3, and lastly, might help as first adopters of “AH VR” to champion the game to that community.

FWIW,
o--[--Wraith----   
The Musketeers 
(In-game: Wraithe)
"Never try to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and it annoys the pig." -- R. A. Heinlein

Offline hitech

• Administrator
  • Administrator
      • http://www.hitechcreations.com
« Reply #37 on: March 30, 2016, 02:39:46 PM »
This begs what may be a premature question, since it's early days with VR work but:

At what point—if at all—would it be appropriate to announce that VR is officially in development for AH3, so that a larger pool of alpha/beta testers who own headsets, including CV1 and Vive owners, might be recruited, maybe from sources like Reddit’s r/Oculus forum membership?

Many of those folks also have their “sea legs”, know VR enough to spot what needs attention and therefore might offer valuable insights or suggestions to improve VR functionality/experience in AH3, and lastly, might help as first adopters of “AH VR” to champion the game to that community.

FWIW,

With luck mid next week, shipped the first alpha today.
Most is working. There are a few up down glitches need more work.

I am now working on the ability to move fixed display items like FPS info at the top of the screen to be user moveable both for VR and non VR users.

All the fixed position clip board and fixed position window GUI along with 3d cursor is complete, need to write a simple configuration to be able to sets it's size and depth.

HiTech

Offline Vulcan

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #38 on: March 30, 2016, 03:40:39 PM »
The clip at the top of the clipboard is 3D.... that blew my mind.

Offline Hungry

• Nickel Member
« Reply #39 on: March 30, 2016, 06:03:50 PM »
364.72 the newest Nvidia Driver Released 3-28-2016

For what its worth

Virtual Reality
Virtual reality is here! This Game Ready driver brings full support for the Oculus Rift virtual reality headset, optimizations and enhancements for virtual reality games such as EVE: Valkyrie, Chronos, and Elite Dangerous, and the latest support for NVIDIA VRWorks. Make sure your PC is GeForce GTX VR Ready before stepping into the Rift!
The new driver also brings the latest support and enhancements for the upcoming HTC Vive headset.
"I would gladly pay you Tuesday for a Hamburger today"

Offline GrandpaChaps

• Copper Member
« Reply #40 on: March 30, 2016, 07:25:56 PM »
Wait, what?  Back the truck  up?  Where's the link to info on AH having support for OR?  I thought it wasn't????!?!?!?  I must be missing the boat big time. 
Uncle Fred

Offline Vulcan

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #41 on: March 30, 2016, 07:54:55 PM »
Wait, what?  Back the truck  up?  Where's the link to info on AH having support for OR?  I thought it wasn't????!?!?!?  I must be missing the boat big time.

It's a work in progress. HT always said he'd wait until the consumer versions hit the market before they decided to jump into it.

Offline GrandpaChaps

• Copper Member
« Reply #42 on: March 30, 2016, 07:58:38 PM »
It's a work in progress. HT always said he'd wait until the consumer versions hit the market before they decided to jump into it.

They hit the market.  ;-)

http://www.engadget.com/2016/03/24/oculus-rift-ships/
Uncle Fred

Offline Nefarious

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #43 on: March 30, 2016, 08:52:45 PM »
I wish I could find somwhere to try before I buy.
There must also be a flyable computer available for Nefarious to do FSO. So he doesn't keep talking about it for eight and a half hours on Friday night!

Offline hitech

• Administrator
  • Administrator
      • http://www.hitechcreations.com
« Reply #44 on: March 30, 2016, 10:10:45 PM »
I wish I could find somwhere to try before I buy.

You're welcome to stop by the office