Author Topic: Oculus Rift use...  (Read 20756 times)

Offline Mister Fork

• AvA Staff Member
  • Platinum Member
Oculus Rift use...
« on: March 14, 2016, 11:57:11 AM »
So... any idea how we get the Oculus rift to work with Beta?  Hitech? Pyro?  Picking up a DK2 tomorrow.
"Games are meant to be fun and fair but fighting a war is neither." - HiTech

Offline Chilli

• Platinum Member
Re: Oculus Rift use...
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2016, 12:53:05 PM »
According to HiTech, it is not ready for prime time, but you can see here, it is a work in progress:

Got occullas t all up and working in game Sunday. I all ready see things like the clip board and other gui elements should be fixed in 3d space.
Others like the stuff in the corners should not because they are meant to always be in view.

Did a bunch of test gui work, things like 3d cursor and such. Not ready for prime time, but gave me the basics for what needs to be done.

HiTEech

Offline hitech

• Administrator
  • Administrator
      • http://www.hitechcreations.com
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2016, 01:13:23 PM »
Did more work yesterday and have the GUI displaying correctly.

I hate the thing, It gives me an incredible headache after just a few minutes that last for 3 hours.
I think I would be more interested in 3d glasses along with eye tracking.

Also I am not sure if I have there lag/predicative smoothing set up correctly yet.

HiTech

Offline Wraith_TMS

• Copper Member
      • My Web Depot
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2016, 01:57:09 PM »
Did more work yesterday and have the GUI displaying correctly.

I hate the thing, It gives me an incredible headache after just a few minutes that last for 3 hours.
I think I would be more interested in 3d glasses along with eye tracking.

Also I am not sure if I have there lag/predicative smoothing set up correctly yet.

HiTech

Hitech, it could be that your Rift isn't set up for your correct intra-pupilary distance (IPD).  Setting the IPD correctly to match the horizontal distance (in millimeters) between the pupils of your eyes is what prevents eye strain, headaches or blurred vision. Minutely incorrect settings are enough to cause discomfort.  Setting this correctly may also improve the 3D effect.  See this Oculus article about improving comfort from various discomforts (see item #7 on the list):  http://riftinfo.com/oculus-rift-motion-sickness-11-techniques-to-prevent-it.

BTW, the consumer version (CV1) of the Rift coming out in a couple of weeks will have an easy way to dial in correct IPD settings.

FWIW,
o--[--Wraith----   
The Musketeers 
(In-game: Wraithe)
"Never try to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and it annoys the pig." -- R. A. Heinlein

Offline hitech

• Administrator
  • Administrator
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2016, 02:04:00 PM »
Hitech, it could be that your Rift isn't set up for your correct intra-pupilary distance (IPD).  Setting the IPD correctly to match the horizontal distance (in millimeters) between the pupils of your eyes is what prevents eye strain, headaches or blurred vision. Minutely incorrect settings are enough to cause discomfort.  Setting this correctly may also improve the 3D effect.  See this Oculus article about improving comfort from various discomforts (see item #7 on the list):  http://riftinfo.com/oculus-rift-motion-sickness-11-techniques-to-prevent-it.

BTW, the consumer version (CV1) of the Rift coming out in a couple of weeks will have an easy way to dial in correct IPD settings.

FWIW,
I'll give it a try.

Strange thing is I am not prone to regular motion sickness. But my first experience with game sickness was with wolfenstine 3d.
Didn't realize it until the 3 day connecting the headache with the game.

Online Bizman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2016, 02:10:12 PM »
I'll give it a try.

Strange thing is I am not prone to regular motion sickness. But my first experience with game sickness was with wolfenstine 3d.

You might like to try ginger to help with the virtual motion sickness. It's cheap, easily available as fresh, powder and pills, and most importantly it doesn't make you dizzy!
Quote from: BaldEagl, applies to myself, too
I've got an older system by today's standards that still runs the game well by my standards.

Kotisivuni

Offline Wraith_TMS

• Copper Member
      • My Web Depot
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2016, 03:11:00 PM »
I'll give it a try.

Hope that helps. 

This VR stuff is new enough that some of the "rules" for it are works in progress, I think.  And now that GVS (galvanic vestibular stimulation) is being worked on... well, all I can say is... when that finally hits prime-time... always have a bag ready.  Usable GVS was thought to be a ways off; but then again... maybe not so far.  It appears that Samsung is serious about it: http://www.theverge.com/2016/3/14/11220836/samsung-etrim-4d-headphones-movement-vr-inner-ear

FWIW,
o--[--Wraith----   
The Musketeers 
(In-game: Wraithe)
"Never try to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and it annoys the pig." -- R. A. Heinlein

Offline Wiley

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2016, 03:20:46 PM »
Hope that helps. 

This VR stuff is new enough that some of the "rules" for it are works in progress, I think.  And now that GVS (galvanic vestibular stimulation) is being worked on... well, all I can say is... when that finally hits prime-time... always have a bag ready.  Usable GVS was thought to be a ways off; but then again... maybe not so far.  It appears that Samsung is serious about it: http://www.theverge.com/2016/3/14/11220836/samsung-etrim-4d-headphones-movement-vr-inner-ear

FWIW,

:confused:

Wow...  Could we make that attachment mandatory for the negative-G stick stirrers?

Neat stuff.  Not sure I want it in my flight simming experience. ;)  "It works, but heart attacks during play are up."

Wiley.
If you think you are having a 1v1 in the Main Arena, your SA has failed you.

JG11

Online Gman

• Gold Member
« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2016, 04:41:51 PM »
I wonder if the CV1's better resolution will be better or worse for motion sickness/headaches with the Rift/Vive/Etc.  Seeing HT pull the maneuvers he does in his Rv8 makes me a little concerned - if he can do that stuff and not get motion sick/headaches/etc, yet the Rift gives it to him - again, for people pre disposed to such issues, it makes me wonder how common an issue this is going to be with VR...

I was going to buy a DK2 cheap as well, but considering that the retail version is out soon and is far more advanced - including not just the res but the ability to set things like the pupil distances/etc and other tweaks better, I'm just going to wait for my pre order.

I've not tried VR with any flight sims, but the guys using DK2 with DCS have raved about it, and I know what a difference TiR makes with AH - I bet with AH3 it'll look pretty incredible on the Rift.

Offline hitech

• Administrator
  • Administrator
« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2016, 05:00:33 PM »
I know what a difference TiR makes with AH.
TIR also makes me sick very quickly.

HiTech

Online Gman

• Gold Member
« Reply #10 on: March 14, 2016, 11:59:10 PM »
While I don't get sick from TiR, it does cause a pain in my neck sometimes, even after just short use.  Mostly from trying to hold still and keep the view in center/front and the sky in view I think, no matter how I set it up I find it moves around when I don't want it to, causing me to subconsiously try and hold my neck still.  I use the center/pause button a lot for TiR, but even just dropping my jaw/relaxing my head a bit, boom, view moves to where I can't see, so I have to hit the re center button again constantly.  If I move the deadzones away from the center a lot to keep this from happening, then TiR moves like crap for tracking cons, so then what's the point...

This is my specific concern with VR having never tried it - most of my AH experience is getting into fights with a lot of contacts around, which means a lot of rapid view movement - so rapid that I still flick TiR off as my thumb/hat use for the last 25 years will always be faster than using TiR for me, and more intuitive as well.

I'm happy you're working on it though at HTC for AH, one thing I think AH always has done better (not just one thing) than everyone else is the view system, how it works and how configurable it is, while still being straight forward.  I wish other sims would just buy it from HTC, along with the keyboard/stick config system.  Anyhow, TiR works incredibly well (even though I'm not that great with it) with AH view systems, so I'm confident VR/Rift will too.

Offline Vulcan

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #11 on: March 15, 2016, 04:45:33 AM »
I can play for hours on end with no side effects and I do :)

As above you need to get the IPD sorted.

I use the Vorpx drivers with Opentrack to use the DK2 with AH (2d only with the current build, though I did have 3D for a while using tridef with the DK1).

Offline Randy1

• Platinum Member
« Reply #12 on: March 15, 2016, 06:30:55 AM »
Some evidence, although far from conclusive, is that eye exercises could be good for your eyes.  Trackir really works your eye movement.

Offline terrydew

• Copper Member
« Reply #13 on: March 15, 2016, 08:14:13 AM »
Hitech take a look at this implementation. It is the best I have seen for sim use.

https://flyinside-fsx.com

Terry

Offline Mister Fork

• AvA Staff Member
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #14 on: March 23, 2016, 02:09:29 PM »
I now have the Rift but having issues getting the Rift to work. I have software the emulates the TrackIR use - but nothing yet for actual VR integration. 
"Games are meant to be fun and fair but fighting a war is neither." - HiTech