Author Topic: P 38/ twin engine pilots  (Read 3157 times)

Offline MADe

• Silver Member
P 38/ twin engine pilots
« on: March 19, 2016, 09:38:30 PM »
Pointed at P 38 pilots,
I'm gonna redo my throttle unit. One thing I always wanted was a multiple engine throttle unit, 4 pots.
The mechanics are a bit tuff, layering in the handles, but since I am really using a pc, the throttle unit comes with a lot of buttons and hat switch, which on a real throttle would be absent. The acquired extra inputs change how you would make a throttle for pc, so they are generally 1 pot for engine axis.

The current unit I use works fine, but I could clean it up design wise, add more pots, revamp my hat switch and redo the over all controller electronics. So if I go there, I want to make it possible to add multiple throttle axis's, specifically 2 or 3.

My question is how do you gents deal with multi-engine control on say a HOTAS setup?
Just buttons?

Its about turning and individual throttle management in a turn, how do you use your hardware to achieve this?

I have my own ideas but I need input from a habitual P38 driver, as to technique in use of hardware.
 :salute

ps: been home brewing flight gear for years so I am serious here.
ASROCK X99 Taichi, INTEL i7 6850@4.5GHz, GIGABYTE GTX 1070G1, Kingston HyperX 3000MHz DDR4, OCZ 256GB RD400, Seasonic 750W PSU, SONY BRAVIA 48W600B, Windows 10 Pro /64

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
Re: P 38/ twin engine pilots
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2016, 09:59:35 PM »
How do you think individual throttles help turning?  Turning is thrust vs drag. Reducing thrust on one side doesn't help with that. The only thing individual throttles help with is spin control and hammerheads.

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2016, 12:11:37 AM »
I have the dual throttles on the X55 set I have. Don't see much help in one throttle over two. Best so far is when I lose a wing tip it helps to level out for the slow flight home. I've heard that in the top of a loop/hammer head stall it helps to bring it over a bit quicker, but how often do you get there?

Don't really think its worth the effort.

Offline SIK1

• AH Training Corps
  • Gold Member
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2016, 02:31:18 AM »
You can do really great doughnuts on the ground with dual throttles.  :rock
444th Air Mafia since Air Warrior
Proudly flying with VF-17

"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG54

Offline Randy1

• Platinum Member
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2016, 06:39:34 AM »
Dual throttles are cool.  It makes it easier to turn a P-38 around on a carrier and reload.  I worked on different techniques for dual throttle control, but never found an absolute advantage.  There is a technique where in a spiraling climb, you cut one engine and the p38 flips around.  Now this works but it is hard to control the flip for a reverse six shot.  At least for me it is.

One thing I use more is switches for engine start and stop selection.  If one engine is oiled, you can select it then shut it down to cool and save it for when you need it.

Offline Masherbrum

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2016, 10:34:48 AM »
Delirium had one and stopped using it, IIRC.  That should be indicator enough.
-=Most Wanted=-

FSO Squad 412th FNVG
http://worldfamousfridaynighters.com/
Co-Founder of DFC

Offline Drano

• Platinum Member
« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2016, 11:04:46 AM »
Why would you turn around on a carrier? Just back up. You know you can do that right?

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

"Drano"
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

FSO flying with the 412th Friday Night Volunteer Group

Offline Masherbrum

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2016, 11:48:03 AM »
Why would you turn around on a carrier? Just back up. You know you can do that right?

:rofl
-=Most Wanted=-

FSO Squad 412th FNVG
http://worldfamousfridaynighters.com/
Co-Founder of DFC

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2016, 01:58:00 PM »
Many years ago I tested out for a few tours a F-15 Suncom dual throttle, to see if having a dual throttle would be of any benefit over a single throttle like the CH Pro Throttle.  In combat, it wasn't of any real benefit.  It didn't make me turn any tighter than I already could with a single throttle, and in fact it was a little bit of a pain in the arse at times.  It was easy to get into a spin caused by asymmetrical power if you didn't advance both throttles at the same time to full power or WEP (just like the real P-38).  The only areas where it was helpful was in recovering from certain type of spins in the P-38, especially the spin caused by the flaps auto-retracting while in a hard turn, the other area was the immersion factor.  After about 4-5 tours with the Suncom throttle, I went back to my trusty Pro Throttle and never used anything else since.

Funny thing is people don't believe me that I use a single throttle, some are convinced I'm lying and really using a dual throttle.
"If Jesus came back as an airplane, he would be a P-38." - WW2 P-38 pilot
Elite Top Aces +1 Mexican Official Squadron Song

Offline MADe

• Silver Member
« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2016, 05:30:45 PM »
hmmmm tanx gents

My original thought was to just have a single axis throttle, with the proper physical movement, and add either 2 buttons or 2 pots as dials, somewhere on the unit and do it cheaply. Basically what I have now, with 2 additional pots added for thumb actuation. 2 buttons could be used on/off but it all depends on how 38 drivers would manipulate the engines in 1st place. Some are now also disputing its viability as well......................... ..........

I guess what I really want to understand is how 38 drivers work the 38 with the HOSTAS and keyboard. The basic throttle is ez, its the button layout, home made hat switch that's the be-otch, its getting me interfaced with pc in a way that's 2nd nature. ie: button layout maps my hand

I began wondering about a "tankers" setup. The electronics would be the same approach. Its the tankers control movements being mimicked and translated to PC that would matter. Thing is I do not really ever drive GV's............................ ..........
ASROCK X99 Taichi, INTEL i7 6850@4.5GHz, GIGABYTE GTX 1070G1, Kingston HyperX 3000MHz DDR4, OCZ 256GB RD400, Seasonic 750W PSU, SONY BRAVIA 48W600B, Windows 10 Pro /64

Offline JunkyII

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #10 on: March 20, 2016, 06:00:52 PM »
Personally I think one of the best attributes of the 38 is it doesn't have torque working against a certain direction. Makes you more unpredictable IMO
DFC Member
Proud Member of Pigs on the Wing
"Yikes"

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
« Reply #11 on: March 20, 2016, 08:15:16 PM »
I guess what I really want to understand is how 38 drivers work the 38 with the HOSTAS and keyboard. The basic throttle is ez, its the button layout, home made hat switch that's the be-otch, its getting me interfaced with pc in a way that's 2nd nature. ie: button layout maps my hand

I don't use the keyboard for any flight related stuff, only for chatting and setting stuff like salvo.  All flight related KB controls are programmed into either my Pro Throttle or Combat Stick, so I can keep my hands on the controls at all times during the fight. 
"If Jesus came back as an airplane, he would be a P-38." - WW2 P-38 pilot
Elite Top Aces +1 Mexican Official Squadron Song

Offline Drano

• Platinum Member
« Reply #12 on: March 20, 2016, 08:21:13 PM »
Yeah I never go to the keyboard for much. Like AKAK, nothing to do with actual flying. Same stick setup he has. I just have the usual suspects mapped to buttons and hats.

"Drano"
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

FSO flying with the 412th Friday Night Volunteer Group

Offline Randy1

• Platinum Member
« Reply #13 on: March 21, 2016, 07:38:47 AM »
I don't use the keyboard for any flight related stuff, only for chatting and setting stuff like salvo.  All flight related KB controls are programmed into either my Pro Throttle or Combat Stick, so I can keep my hands on the controls at all times during the fight.

Same here. 

The thrustmaster cougar panel is a big help as well for setting common keyboard use like salvo settings, climb speeds, radio setting and so forth.

Offline Lab Rat 3947

• Silver Member
« Reply #14 on: March 22, 2016, 12:42:45 AM »

I only fly P-38s and this is how my throttle is mapped.
Cutting one engine "seems" to help in a hammerhead turn, but then I could be imagining it.

For everything else I use Voice Attack. An $18.00 VOX command program.
I have 61 commands, so far, for everything I use; changing salvos, comms, move, locate, etc.

I only use my keyboard for typing messages.

« Last Edit: March 22, 2016, 12:46:19 AM by Lab Rat 3947 »
LtngRydr
14th FG Grounded

80th FS "Headhunters"