Author Topic: Get higher frame rates  (Read 6352 times)

Offline Chilli

• Platinum Member
Re: Get higher frame rates
« Reply #30 on: March 28, 2016, 02:36:29 PM »
Skuzzy,

Is it my imagination, or do framerates get better the longer you are logged in or actively moving about?  I ask, because it is almost like new items are being stored in memory (or whatever magic) and after a while my framerates improve by about 10 to 15 fps.  Note, this is with vsync disabled for testing.

Another question/ observation:  Does it seem to anyone else that framerate in Beta does not interfere with smoothness of graphics down to the low 20s?  Below that maybe some, but nowhere near as bad as with the AH2 game play stutter / warp, etc..  I mean, I have only had problems once, and that was with the bomber mission with tons of AI in the clouds, and several patches ago.

Offline hitech

• Administrator
  • Administrator
      • http://www.hitechcreations.com
« Reply #31 on: March 28, 2016, 04:35:43 PM »
Skuzzy,

Is it my imagination, or do framerates get better the longer you are logged in or actively moving about?  I ask, because it is almost like new items are being stored in memory (or whatever magic) and after a while my framerates improve by about 10 to 15 fps.  Note, this is with vsync disabled for testing.

Another question/ observation:  Does it seem to anyone else that framerate in Beta does not interfere with smoothness of graphics down to the low 20s?  Below that maybe some, but nowhere near as bad as with the AH2 game play stutter / warp, etc..  I mean, I have only had problems once, and that was with the bomber mission with tons of AI in the clouds, and several patches ago.

Yes FPS does increase after all the skins have been checked.

HiTech

Offline tboy1972

• Zinc Member
« Reply #32 on: March 28, 2016, 07:03:14 PM »
Tboy,

When asking for dxdiag.txt, we are referring to a specific Windows program.  Yes, the nvidia information text was helpful, but as stated before, loads of other information.  The pdf file lead me to believe that you were not familiar with dxdiag, so below is straight from Skuzzy's mouth (or fingers, I guess).

Here are the steps to do this:

1. Go to "Start" from the Windows desktop
2. Select "Run" from the pop up menu
3. In the Run dialog box, type DXDIAG and press <ENTER>
4. After a few seconds the DXDIAG utility will be ready (the progress indicator in the lower left corner will disappear).
5. Run the video and sound diagnostics (Select the Display and Sound tabs to do this).
6. Press the "Save All Information" button
7. This will save the DXDIAG data to a file of your choice

Step 8~ I (ChiLLi) am editing (original post was for email)
8. Once you have done this, simply attach the file to a post for us to look for any issues your system might have.

Thanks, hopefully this is what you were looking for.  I appreciate your help.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2016, 07:05:13 PM by tboy1972 »

Offline JimmyD3

• Gold Member
« Reply #33 on: March 28, 2016, 08:30:08 PM »
I'm just wondering why my 980 card can't run the beta on full graphics. Do I need a Nvidia TitanX card??? Lol......all other new PC games that comes out runs really smooth with the card I have and their graphics are awesome. I'm just wondering because in AH2 I have everything maxed out and I get a solid 60frames even when I'm flying FSO with 180 or more planes around. By looking at AH2 graphics and AH3 graphics there isn't much difference to me(this only applies when everything is maxed out on AH2). I think I heard that AH3 only depends on GPU and AH2 is more of both processor and GPU. Can you guys at HTC make AH3 where it depends on both GPU and processor instead of just squeezing the GPU??? I think that would help more players that are complaining about frame rates since I believe they can run AH2 on max graphics with no problem.

I'm running a GTX980 and have everything maxed out, with FRS of 55 to 85.
Kenai77
CO Sic Puppies MWK
USAF 1971-76

Offline tboy1972

• Zinc Member
« Reply #34 on: March 28, 2016, 09:23:40 PM »
I'm running a GTX980 and have everything maxed out, with FRS of 55 to 85.

Poor frame rates really seems to be a shared theme here for some reason.  I have a EVGA GeForce GTX 760 which I overclock.  This is a pretty decent card as well. Not quite as good as yours, but respectable.  I have the graphics settings in AH3 turned down some, and I get frame rates anywhere from 30 to 60 fps. Sometimes lower over bases.  I played quite a few games with my PC, including all the COD Black Ops games as well as quite a few games on Steam.  I can have those graphics set pretty high and get good frame rates with them. 

Maybe its because  its still in beta?

Offline Bizman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #35 on: March 29, 2016, 01:08:53 AM »
Tboy, I took a quick look at your DxDiag report. Pretty good rig you've got there, no bottlenecks that I could find.

As has been said here several times already, the Environment Map slider is a killer. Set it to 1 (default) or 0.

What caught my eye is that your Page File is quite big. What do you have running in the background?
Quote from: BaldEagl, applies to myself, too
I've got an older system by today's standards that still runs the game well by my standards.

Kotisivuni

Offline Chilli

• Platinum Member
« Reply #36 on: March 29, 2016, 05:24:50 AM »
Bizman,

Glad you looked at that.  The USB Camera caught my eye....  but it is an untrained eye.  The video card section looked to be acceptable, past that, and the admission by Tboy of getting 30- 60 fps ~ reduced over some bases, it mostly seems to be on par with what one would expect.

Doing some experimenting myself, and I enabled my video cards antialias to its max and for the first time experienced framerates lower than 25~ while in mid dogfight with one other plane.  This makes me wonder how much Tboy or any casual gamer has their video card's control panel tweaked for maximum performance for AH Beta.

Does anyone else care to share their Nvidia or other brand control panel settings?  I will attach mine below.

« Last Edit: March 29, 2016, 05:26:38 AM by Chilli »

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
      • HiTech Creations Home Page
« Reply #37 on: March 29, 2016, 05:50:24 AM »
You probably do not want to have "triple buffering" enabled as we already do that in the game graphic engine.
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese
support@hitechcreations.com

Offline KillerPops

• Zinc Member
« Reply #38 on: March 29, 2016, 12:29:20 PM »
What is the recommended settings for all these parameters? I have tried myself different settings myself, but I feel I don't know exactly what I am doing, much because I don't know what the AH graphics engine does/expect.

Offline Bizman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #39 on: March 29, 2016, 12:34:10 PM »
If you don't know exactly what each setting does, set them all to "Application controlled". Then you can play with AH (or any other game) settings to find the best combination of quality and performance.
I've got an older system by today's standards that still runs the game well by my standards.

Kotisivuni

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
      • HiTech Creations Home Page
« Reply #40 on: March 29, 2016, 12:34:58 PM »
The best settings, for AH3, are the video card defaults.
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese
support@hitechcreations.com

Offline Bizman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #41 on: March 29, 2016, 12:42:27 PM »

Even better, should've thought about that.  :salute

Not even installing the entire control panel would save from all that hassle with multiple controls, but a minimized "Custom install" would seem so LoTech in a HiTech game no-one likes to do it.

Kotisivuni

Offline Chilli

• Platinum Member
« Reply #42 on: March 29, 2016, 02:59:18 PM »

Best performance I assume that is, there is also an "enhance application setting", which wasn't so sure if it did anything and the AA settings that I swapped by enabling on the card for testing and disabled in game to see visual comparisons ---> and performance tanked, but the image was slightly smoother.

Also, thank you very much, for the heads up on triple buffering.  It makes sense while the application (AH Beta) is controlling the Vsync, that it would also control this type of buffering.

Shader cache is either on or off, sense I had imagined that shaders were doing more work in the new version, I took a guess, that was an option to leave on.  Also, I omitted the top Anistrophic filtering option it is turned off, and looks like I guessed correctly (for performance values anyway).

« Last Edit: March 29, 2016, 03:38:17 PM by Chilli »

Offline zack1234

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #43 on: March 31, 2016, 01:44:03 AM »
I have a 680 and don't seem to be getting a bad frame counts :)

59-60

Maybe because I don't fiddle with my card settings :)

When are we getting Avatars in our cockpits !

I have a picture of John Denvor ready.
There are no pies stored in this plane overnight

The GFC
Pipz lived in the Wilderness near Ontario

Offline 68falcon

• Aces High CM Staff (Retired)
  • Platinum Member
      • 68th Lightning Lancers
« Reply #44 on: March 31, 2016, 06:12:24 AM »
What are Tessellation Mode and Maximum Tessellation Levels? They have 3 settings to pick from they are AMD optimized, use application settings and override application settings
Commanding Officer
68th Lightning Lancers
Fear the Reaper no more. Fear the Lancers