Author Topic: Get higher frame rates  (Read 5234 times)

Offline KillerPops

• Zinc Member
Get higher frame rates
« on: March 20, 2016, 09:19:33 AM »
This probably is a bug in AHII and AHII ? I don't know, I only have two other games installed, X-plane and DCS, and this is no problem with those two.

Lots of laptops (maybe also desktop ?) have hybride display adapters. There is one general for everyday use (Intel integrated graphics in my case) and a 3D card used only for rendering (Nvidia 960M in my case). By default the settings are in "automatic", which means the software decides if the 3D card is to be used. This works fine with X-plane and DCS, but NOT for AHII or AHIII.

In AHII/III the intel graphics card is chosen by default, and there is no option to select Nvidia (on the splash screen settings). Then AH simply ise Intel graphics, and the FR is abyssmal. To change this I have to open the NVidia control panel and change it from auto to NVidia in the global settings, or change it even "more manually" in the "program settings" tab. Both methods work.

Only when doing that will AHII/III show NVidia graphics card in the splash screen. Then FR goes from abysmal to 60 and above (depending on actual settings in the game of course).

A bug? X-plane and DCS have no problem selecting the correct adapter, so it probably is.

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
      • HiTech Creations Home Page
Re: Get higher frame rates
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2016, 04:29:07 PM »
That is actually a bug in the Nvidia control panel.  Sometimes the NVidia driver fails to pickup a game and it has to be added manually.
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese
support@hitechcreations.com

Offline KillerPops

• Zinc Member
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2016, 04:40:20 AM »
Maybe, but the driver does indeed pick up AHII in the control panel, but not in the game. The game does not pick it up before NVidia is set to the default renderer. It does not pick up DCS in the control panel, but DCS works just fine (with stunning graphics), so it does indeed pick it up in the game.

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2016, 06:12:55 AM »
No, not a "maybe".  It is a well established fact the NVidia driver/control panel does not correctly detect games all the time.
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese

Offline KillerPops

• Zinc Member
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2016, 08:11:19 AM »
Whatever the cause is. My experience is that it does not ever detect AHII or AHII, but always X-plane and DCS. DCS detects this even though the Nvidia control panel does not. AHII does not detect it, even though the NVidia control panel does indeed detect AHII automatically. Obviously there is a work around somewhere.

The point is, that for other people with similar setup as me, the FPS goes from abysmal to very good by specifying this manually. By default it is in automatic. People will be, for no good reason, put off by this is they should try AHIII and the FPS is 10, when it could be 60+.

Offline tuton25

• Nickel Member
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2016, 11:04:37 PM »
Sounds like I possibly have this problem. In AHII I run my settings almost to the max, but I do disable ground clutter and the horizon. I normally get 60 fps, and I knew with AHIII the demand on my system would be larger, but I wasn't expecting to have to run 640x400 and all of the graphics disabled and set to minimums. Is this an issue with my system or are the requirements for AHIII just that much greater. My laptop is only about a year old as well.
Thanks,
Fish
><))))*> Da Fish is in Da Fight

Offline Bizman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2016, 02:05:39 AM »
Sounds like I possibly have this problem. In AHII I run my settings almost to the max, but I do disable ground clutter and the horizon. I normally get 60 fps, and I knew with AHIII the demand on my system would be larger, but I wasn't expecting to have to run 640x400 and all of the graphics disabled and set to minimums. Is this an issue with my system or are the requirements for AHIII just that much greater. My laptop is only about a year old as well.
Thanks,
Fish

A DxDiag report would help, or at least some further information about your laptop. Age doesn't mean much, PC's aren't consoles. It makes a big difference whether it's a $249 Walmart bargain or a @1500 gaming laptop with all bells and whistles.
Quote from: BaldEagl, applies to myself, too
I've got an older system by today's standards that still runs the game well by my standards.

Kotisivuni

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2016, 06:16:50 AM »
All you have to do is go into the games "Video Settings".  It will show you which video card is being used.

Thanks,
Fish

AH3 moves ALL the graphics work to the video card, so video card performance matters a lot.
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese

Offline tuton25

• Nickel Member
« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2016, 08:28:38 AM »
Sorry, I have a HP Pavilion with an intel(R) HD Graphics Family card.

Offline Bizman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #9 on: March 23, 2016, 08:40:43 AM »
Sorry, I have a HP Pavilion with an intel(R) HD Graphics Family card.

No further investigation necessary, that explains your low frame rates.
Quote from: BaldEagl, applies to myself, too
I've got an older system by today's standards that still runs the game well by my standards.

Kotisivuni

Offline tuton25

• Nickel Member
« Reply #10 on: March 23, 2016, 03:08:14 PM »
No further investigation necessary, that explains your low frame rates.

Is there a way to fix it? Or is that a question for another forum???
« Last Edit: March 23, 2016, 03:35:32 PM by tuton25 »

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
« Reply #11 on: March 23, 2016, 04:00:03 PM »
There are two options.

1) Reduce all the graphic options to minimums.  Even then some Intel video chips (older) may struggle.

2) Add a video card to the computer. With HP it may be problematic.  Check with them to see what they allow in that particular model.
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese

Offline killjoy1

• Copper Member
      • http://www.nortonfamily.net
« Reply #12 on: March 24, 2016, 12:48:10 AM »
I have a Dell laptop with an Nvidia Geforce GT750M  with an Intel Core i7 processor

I'm running the game at 1920 x 1080

The Nvidia processor is being reported by AHIII on the opening screen setting and I have it linked via Nvidia's settings panel.

The problem is that I am getting 13 fps.  My experience with AHII is 60 fps.  It appears that the Nvidia card is not engaged even though it is reported. 

Any ideas?
callsigns:  Rexx, Killjoy, Fluffy

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
« Reply #13 on: March 24, 2016, 05:06:41 AM »
I have a Dell laptop with an Nvidia Geforce GT750M  with an Intel Core i7 processor

I'm running the game at 1920 x 1080

The Nvidia processor is being reported by AHIII on the opening screen setting and I have it linked via Nvidia's settings panel.

The problem is that I am getting 13 fps.  My experience with AHII is 60 fps.  It appears that the Nvidia card is not engaged even though it is reported. 

Any ideas?

The NVidia 750 is a mid-performing video card. The 750M is slower.

The new graphic engine depends on the performance of the video card.  AHII did not.  Just disable the graphic features of AH3 (Post Lighting, Shadows to start with) and the performance will increase.

Even with al the features disabled, AH3 looks better than the best AH2 could look.
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese

Offline tboy1972

• Zinc Member
« Reply #14 on: March 26, 2016, 02:36:52 PM »
I can see from the discussion that people are experiencing low frame rates in AH3.  I am also having this problem.  I have a pretty decent rig built by Digital Storm.  Right now I am using an Nvidia GTX GeForce 760 which is superclocked. I run a constant 60 fps in AH2, and have no issues in any other PC games such as the COD Black Ops games, as well as many other on Steam.  However, I am lucky to get 13 fps on AH3.  This cannot possibly be normal, and is clearly an issue since so many others are experiencing the same problem.  I should not have to set the details that low with the system I am running. 

I was in a conversation with a guy last night who is running a GTX 960 and he was getting 11 fps.  This is not normal. That is a beast of a card.

What gives?  :bhead