Author Topic: Gunsight Alpha slider fun...I've seen the light!  (Read 2076 times)

Offline bustr

• Plutonium Member
Gunsight Alpha slider fun...I've seen the light!
« on: March 28, 2016, 03:36:14 PM »
Now that we can turn up or down the virtual bulb in the gunsight, I wanted to see how bright I could get it. Screen shots don't do justice to how bright these two reticle really are in the game. Light in the game seems to depend on the sun or the moon. Still, the reticle gets bright when the sun is out. Wonder If Hitech can make the reticles their own light source..... :O

I attached these for those who's browser cannot see my imbeds.

F4u4 with the alpha slider all the way up.

FW190-A5 with the alpha slider all the way up.

bustr - POTW 1st Wing

This is like the old joke that voters are harsher to their beer brewer if he has an outage, than their politicians after raising their taxes. Death and taxes are certain but, fun and sex is only now.

Offline bustr

• Plutonium Member
Re: Gunsight Alpha slider fun...I've seen the light!
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2016, 03:53:58 PM »
The Tempest was the only fighter to have a purpose built dot reticle. Wondered how that would show up.

bustr - POTW 1st Wing

This is like the old joke that voters are harsher to their beer brewer if he has an outage, than their politicians after raising their taxes. Death and taxes are certain but, fun and sex is only now.

Offline hgtonyvi

• Silver Member
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2016, 12:22:29 PM »
Bustr did you change the size of the gunsights in AH3 because when I run the beta the gunsights are bigger than what the size is in AH2. Please resize them the same as AH2. Thanks :cheers:
CO of the Hell Hounds. In Game: Rud3boi
*Ain't no grave can hold my body down.*

Top German Ace of Pantelleria 1943
            6./JG 27- 109G-2

Offline Bizman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2016, 12:37:13 PM »
Bustr did you change the size of the gunsights in AH3 because when I run the beta the gunsights are bigger than what the size is in AH2. Please resize them the same as AH2. Thanks :cheers:

hgtonyvi, have you set your FOV in AH3 to what it is in AH2? IMO the gunsights aren't bigger, the default position is just closer.
Quote from: BaldEagl, applies to myself, too
I've got an older system by today's standards that still runs the game well by my standards.

Kotisivuni

Offline hitech

• Administrator
  • Administrator
      • http://www.hitechcreations.com
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2016, 01:42:03 PM »
hgtonyvi, have you set your FOV in AH3 to what it is in AH2? IMO the gunsights aren't bigger, the default position is just closer.

The head position has not changed.  Only the default field of view.

HiTech

Offline bustr

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2016, 02:02:18 PM »
And here I am trying to brighten everyone's day a little.

In Hitech's world the following Milliradian value holds true no matter the FoV you set.

1Mil = 2pixel when constructing a gunsight reticle on a 512x512 bitmap and a size control file with 256 set in it.

All rings and structures are researched and built to the Mil specs using Hitech's settings. When you change the FoV from the video settings at the splash screen, you will change the perceived diameter of the gunsight reticle. But, that will not change the reticle's Milliradian relationship to the environment. You are simply zooming in or zooming out your default field of view.

Depending on the FoV you set, below will be the relative diameter on a 24" monitor of a 100Mil diameter reticle ring.

60 FoV - 1.80 inch dia. <-- 100Mil reticle ring in real life.
  80 FoV - 1.25 inch dia.
100 FoV - 1.00 inch dia.
106 FoV - 0.75 inch dia.
120 FoV - 0.625 inch dia.

Now back to my regularly scheduled brightening of the day.

bustr - POTW 1st Wing

Offline hgtonyvi

• Silver Member
« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2016, 07:06:07 PM »
Bustr I have my FOV set at 106 in beta and I use the home key to reset the view just like it is in AH2 and then I set up from there. The gunsights are bigger than what they are in the beta.

6./JG 27- 109G-2

Offline bustr

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2016, 12:18:27 AM »
I Just set AHII and Beta15 to a custom FoV of 80 then 100. My monitor is 24 inch. Upped a spit16 in both games with the exact same gunsight file from the beta ukMKII.bmp. AHII and beta, the gunsight files work exactly the same defined by 1Mil = 2pixel. Sat on the runway and used a ruler to measure the diameter of the 100Mil ring on my monitor un-zoomed.

AHII\beta15 - FoV set to 80: The 100Mil diameter ring measured 1 1\4 inch in both games.
AHII\beta15 - FoV set to 100: The 100Mil diameter ring measured 7\8 inch in both games.

I suspect a few patches back when I first measured the rings at 60, 80, 100, 106 and 120. I may have been a bit shy of harming my monitor screen with the ruler and Kentucky windaged with the 100 FoV. I posted 1 inch instead of 7\8 inch. Tonight I protected the screen and got the ruler right on it for the two measurements.

By default AHII sets FoV to 106. For some reason I remembered it being 90.

Perform this test your self and let us know if you come out with different results.

So test it yourself with the spit16, copy the following gunsight files from the beta sights directory to the AHII sights directory. You need both files or the reticle will show up incredibly tiny.

ukMKII.bmp <--- the reticle picture file.
ukMKII.mil   <--- the size control file that will make the reticle show up the correct size.
bustr - POTW 1st Wing

Offline bustr

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2016, 04:17:38 PM »
There is a really narrow cutoff point between these over bright reticles looking like colored blobs projected on the glass reflector plate versus reticles projected by a light bulb turned up too bright. The third screen capture is the Ki84's reticle. That is about the 5th one I've built and I may re-build it a few more times along with all of the Japanese reticles which are just overly busy with all of the reticle structures that have to project as fine lines.

It's always a good idea to make the P38 guys look good.

Iteration 5 of the Type 3 gunsight reticle for the Ki84.

bustr - POTW 1st Wing

Offline Oddball-CAF

• Silver Member
« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2016, 06:41:15 PM »
The head position has not changed.  Only the default field of view.
HiTech

HiTech, I get that the field of view has changed. But I have noticed that the gunsight position
relative to the pilot's "head" or the "head position" itself -has- changed.
  I placed a dot on my monitor in the dead center spot of a spitfire gunsight in AH2.
When I fired up AH3, that "dot" was now about an inch below where the AH3 "dead center"
of the gunsight is.
  This of course isn't a "bug", nor a problem. It just "is".

Regards, Odd

Offline hitech

• Administrator
  • Administrator
      • http://www.hitechcreations.com
« Reply #10 on: April 07, 2016, 09:09:10 PM »
  HiTech, I get that the field of view has changed. But I have noticed that the gunsight position
relative to the pilot's "head" or the "head position" itself -has- changed.
  I placed a dot on my monitor in the dead center spot of a spitfire gunsight in AH2.
When I fired up AH3, that "dot" was now about an inch below where the AH3 "dead center"
of the gunsight is.
  This of course isn't a "bug", nor a problem. It just "is".

Regards, Odd

The head position has not moved, it is simply looking at a down angle, press home, followed by f10 to save and it will be back to what you are used to.

HiTech

Offline Oddball-CAF

• Silver Member
« Reply #11 on: April 08, 2016, 08:58:38 AM »
Thanks! <S>

Offline hgtonyvi

• Silver Member
« Reply #12 on: April 08, 2016, 12:55:32 PM »
I think that the FOV settings in AH2 is not the same in AH3. Let me clarify that using a setting of 106 which is the auto selected FOV for AH2 and using a setting of 106 FOV for AH3 just does not feel like the same FOV settings.

6./JG 27- 109G-2

Offline Devil 505

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #13 on: April 08, 2016, 01:10:29 PM »
I think that the FOV settings in AH2 is not the same in AH3. Let me clarify that using a setting of 106 which is the auto selected FOV for AH2 and using a setting of 106 FOV for AH3 just does not feel like the same FOV settings.
I can tell you that is exactly the same for me with a 106 FOV in both.
Kommando Nowotny

FlyKommando.com

Offline bustr

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #14 on: April 08, 2016, 01:50:33 PM »

In both AH2 and beta16 do the following.

1. - From beta16 sights folder copy MKII.bmp and MKII.mil to the AH2 sights folder.
2. - Set both game versions to a FOV of 106.
3. - In both game versions pick the spit16 and to it pick the MKII.bmp gunsight.
4. - In both game versions spawn the spit16 on a runway. Then use a ruler to measure the un-zoomed diameter of the ring projection of MKII.bmp. Both should be .75 inch.

If your gunsight reflector plate glass in beta16 seems a bit dark, your 12 noon light is probably a bit dark. Up your gamma by 1-4 which should clear the reflector plate and make 12 noon more real life like. Beta16 may even feel more like AH2 where the reflector plate is much less dark. Waffle inserted a mask file that shows the projector barrel top reflected in the glass which will darken your view port if your gamma is too low.

Waffle could always put back the mask file with his grimy finger prints smeared all over your reflector plate....... :O
bustr - POTW 1st Wing