Author Topic: Manned guns and field supplies  (Read 2187 times)

Offline Chilli

• Platinum Member
Re: Manned guns and field supplies
« Reply #45 on: March 30, 2016, 01:49:28 PM »
Wiley,

"Popularity of GVs," you may have plunked that nail on the head.  Even in the beta test arena, folks tend to take bases and drive around in tanks and yes even manned ack...

That's absolutely their choice, but it does seem a bit lonesome in the air, although some of those doing that will gladly slip on a flight suit if you invade the space they are attempting to capture.

The Thursday night Tank battle, can be found in the AvA arena..... and I have to admit, they are more interesting in the Beta terrain.  So, all you "sardines" get there early Thursday, starting 8 pm EST this week, and bring your favorite can opener.  Then see with your own eyes, if the new AH Beta is more fun in tanks.

"It's a bird........ it's a plane.......  no, it's a turtle...."   :noid

Ouch Copprhed!

The furball is where I am most happy.... Rolling bases and funnin with you and others, is good too.  In fact, my attack scores are always higher due to the early morning exploits.  I do believe we all are expressing more opinions than proven fact.... I standby my statement, a good ole furball (in cartoon planes) never hurt anyone.....  :cheers:  Cheerssssssssss...

Offline JunkyII

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #46 on: March 30, 2016, 01:51:02 PM »
If you're going to blame those two, you may as well blame anything that is not fighter related.

My personal feeling is the popularity of GVing and its effectiveness in base taking has done far more harm to the number of planes in the air than resupply.

How many times do you see an aircraft-based base take fail, and suddenly the ground starts crawling with GVs instead?  I know I see it on a fairly regular basis.  90% of the time for me, once an enemy has gotten into a tank he may as well have logged, because he ceases to exist to me.

For whatever reasons the numbers have dropped, and it seems to me especially at slow times people are more inclined to stay in GVs instead of aircraft.  If the ratios stay the same, all it would take is a numbers bump to hit critical mass so enough people get in planes that there'd at least be something to do in the air at all times.  Seems to me it would only take about 50 more people in non-prime time to make that happen, but I'm not sure.

Wiley.
I understand what your saying and you make a very good point. I think the furball numbers have dropped because firstly...12 hour rule hit it the hardest then it's just these little things that keep knocking away at it.

I do know for a fact if your trying to run through bases, you go to the ones that have spawns into them so tanks can hit town while planes work the base.

I wonder if anyone notices that it's base takers who are responsible for vulching....I know that is the only time I will is when in a base take.

If you believe that Aces High is or should be only a furballing game, you're stuck in a rut. It hasn't been that for a long time. Maybe it's those that believe the game should only be what they, in their perfect, all knowledgeable opinion, think it should be that's causing people to leave. AH is a niche game at best, though it's an awesome one, and limiting the factors like resupply, GVing and manned guns would only cause more people to leave. IMHO it's those that only want to dogfight that are the biggest problem in the game, and they are definitely the most vocal complainers. If you want to limit what you do, fine, but DON'T expect others to cowtow to your desires, and then complain that THEY are the problem.
Really? Just dog fighters complain about this??? Please go look at my scores and Lazers....bet you find out that consistently we are or have been top 50 for attack a long with fighters....go back far enough and you will see I was top 50 in GVs for about 6 months straight. I've played every part of the game...hell I used to pride myself on having the most captures in a tour...but that was in 2007 near the time I first joined POTW.

Your point is invalid.....it's not about dogfighting...I'll roll a panzer to a town only to have it pop up around me because an M3 ran in a box of supps in 10 minutes before I got there.

It's about actually fighting, which many of you ALWAYS seem to avoid.
DFC Member
Proud Member of Pigs on the Wing
"Yikes"

Offline Randy1

• Platinum Member
« Reply #47 on: March 30, 2016, 03:06:56 PM »
. . . because "wussies" won't come up and fight. . . .

Junky, in your quote above, your key words are ". . .won't come up . . ."  Without the 88's to move back the vulcher's,  the reds keep an E advantage.  It is hard to find a hole in a cap to climb out when the cap sits over the base.  That is what you and lazer keep overlooking.

Offline Copprhed

• Silver Member
« Reply #48 on: March 30, 2016, 03:12:06 PM »
Chilli, you know I spend a lot of time in the air, and that I love a good dogfight as much as the next guy...in fact, I showed ya that I haven't lost my touch a little while ago :).
My point is that until I got into playing the WHOLE game, from guns to gvs to resupplying when needed, I was missing out on a lot of fun, and was limiting myself. What good is only eating steak, when you miss out on all the other fine things to be offered?
Flight Leader: "Bogeys at 2 o'clock!"
Wingman: "Roger, It's 1:30 now, what do I do 'til then?"

Offline HawkerMKII

• Silver Member
« Reply #49 on: March 30, 2016, 03:57:19 PM »
Kill vh, deack, watch for m3 resup, vulch, have fun, problem solved....Jokers motto
8th of November 1965, 173RD Airborne <S>

Offline doright

• Nickel Member
« Reply #50 on: March 30, 2016, 08:57:29 PM »
These days the best air combat seems to originate from a failed base take. The dynamic is superior numbers come in attempt to take a base. If the defenders fail, the next base gets rolled too. But if a desperate combination of gvs, resupply, ack, and few sacrificial flying lambs to use up the red guys' ammo thwart the attackers long enough for hangers and ammo to finally pop and defenders to arrive with altitude from other bases, then the air combat gets good! The attackers are pushed back towards their own base. Both sides have the numbers in the air we all seek, some coming back from re-entry, some on the deck running for their lives. Very dynamic, and the best kind of fun for those who seek air to air combat not merely vulching bases.

So watch for it next time you're in a great fight. Maybe the thing your are so quick to disparage is what set up the fun you just had. A lot of other people had fun doing their parts in the way they enjoy too.

(edit: and to give credit, this is a long winded version of Waystins' "let's go pick us a fight!")
« Last Edit: March 30, 2016, 10:17:00 PM by doright »
Armaments 3:9 "Fireth thee not in their forward quarters lest thee be beset by 200 imps and be naughty in their sight."

Offline kshaw94

• Zinc Member
« Reply #51 on: March 31, 2016, 08:40:44 AM »
Since being back to AH i immediately liked the resupply of towns. All for it town suppliers on either side. The puffy gun on the field used to be a funny joke when I would wing 262's and Tempest with my dad. Now its here. :angry: I do remember being new to AH sitting in a manned gun and thinking "man if this gun could shoot a little further i would get the guy that just shot me down.. also  he has multiple + kills being on my mind muhahah. Take puffy ack to the CV's! Puffy ack is so much more kind there now anyway. No base puffy please!
Carry a big fish and walk lightly.

AXER

Offline waystin2

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #52 on: March 31, 2016, 09:24:35 AM »

(edit: and to give credit, this is a long winded version of Waystins' "let's go pick us a fight!")
It is never about the kill, it's about getting into a fight.  But I will try to kill you if you are a red guy. :D
CO for the Pigs On The Wing
& The nicest guy in Aces High!

Offline popeye

• Gold Member
« Reply #53 on: March 31, 2016, 11:35:59 AM »
edited snark.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2016, 11:55:40 AM by popeye »
KONG

Where is Major Kong?!?

Offline Chilli

• Platinum Member
« Reply #54 on: March 31, 2016, 01:03:47 PM »
Sorry, but I must have been born on another planet.... :neener:  The addition of 17 lb guns and the 88 mm flack were great improvements to game play.  The more tools in the toolbox seems like a good idea to me.  Now, let's don't forget that we were also given Tu2s and B29s, an assortment of bombs and multitude of advantages that could go the other way at the same time as those additions or close to it.

I still hate to get shot by those dirty bananas   :mad: so don't be surprised to hear me in an emotional rant  :furious over how stupid something is....  :ahand 

Offline 8thJinx

• Silver Member
« Reply #55 on: March 31, 2016, 01:09:05 PM »
It's interesting that for some people a player playing the game from the game's manned guns and engaging other players isn't considered game play.

B-24H Liberator SN 294837-T, "The Jinx", 848th BS, 490th BG, 8th AF, RAF Station Eye, delivered 1943.  Piloted by Lt. Thomas Keyes, named by by his crew, and adorned with bad luck symbols, the aircraft survived the entire war.

Offline bustr

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #56 on: March 31, 2016, 01:12:19 PM »
These days the best air combat seems to originate from a failed base take. The dynamic is superior numbers come in attempt to take a base. If the defenders fail, the next base gets rolled too. But if a desperate combination of gvs, resupply, ack, and few sacrificial flying lambs to use up the red guys' ammo thwart the attackers long enough for hangers and ammo to finally pop and defenders to arrive with altitude from other bases, then the air combat gets good! The attackers are pushed back towards their own base. Both sides have the numbers in the air we all seek, some coming back from re-entry, some on the deck running for their lives. Very dynamic, and the best kind of fun for those who seek air to air combat not merely vulching bases.

So watch for it next time you're in a great fight. Maybe the thing your are so quick to disparage is what set up the fun you just had. A lot of other people had fun doing their parts in the way they enjoy too.

The closer to 400 in the MA, the less of a problem these two OP concerned issues will be. The current low numbers are revealing just how many mechanisms were put in place since 2006, based on past high player numbers driven game play mechanics to help balance the effects of those numbers. That is probably why the AvA's Monday night madness furball and Thursday night GV bash are so popular. They are setup with low numbers specific purpose mechanics to promote game play for small dedicated genre parties.

In the MA, the high numbers mechanisms still work in localized sectors like the nearly every night bishop mini hoard that ups to defend a single field or attack a field around 9pm pacific time. Now if the knights could only synchronize their mini hoard time with the bishops. The knights tend to mini hoard between 7:30 to 8:00pm pacific time. The bishops mini hoard, almost like clock work, shows up at the best time to swamp and slaughter the tail end of the knight mini hoard. Friday and Saturday nights seem to be the only time they sync into an old school style big furball.

Waystin is right, if you want a "fight" in the "MA", start breaking everything at a field. If the ack gets you, come back and break more things until someone shows up to fight, or you own the field, or both countries are furballing with you. I think what the OP and his brethren really want is the "MA" to be like the AvA Monday night madness two base none stop furball. That would be the pre 2008 global economic crash era MA culture.
bustr - POTW 1st Wing

This is like the old joke that voters are harsher to their beer brewer if he has an outage, than their politicians after raising their taxes. Death and taxes are certain but, fun and sex is only now.

Offline Chilli

• Platinum Member
« Reply #57 on: March 31, 2016, 01:13:52 PM »
I agree Jinx.  I believe that k/d and even perks should be in play.  I can't say how that would go over, but I think that would answer some of the rhetoric about risk.

Offline Scca

• Gold Member
« Reply #58 on: March 31, 2016, 01:14:42 PM »
If your base take attempts are failing because M3's are resupplying, then your tactics have a gap.  It's usually only one or two guys running supplies, uh, kill them at the spawn till they up wirbs...
Flying as AkMeathd - CO Arabian Knights
Working on my bbs cred one post at a time

http://www.arabian-knights.org

Offline Zimme83

• Gold Member
« Reply #59 on: March 31, 2016, 01:39:50 PM »
Man acks are no different from other parts of the game, some people fly bombers at 35k so noone will catch them, some fly their C-hog 5k above all else and uses his friends as baits so he can pick easy kills.
This game is nothing about fair fights, its about the easy kills.
''The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge'' - Stephen Hawking