Author Topic: Plane icon  (Read 927 times)

Offline Scca

• Gold Member
Plane icon
« on: March 31, 2016, 07:39:57 AM »
I searched a bit and didn't see this mentioned. 

Am I the only one who feels the icons for cons are almost too close to the planes.  They almost get in the way of seeing the con at times. 
Flying as AkMeathd - CO Arabian Knights
Working on my bbs cred one post at a time

http://www.arabian-knights.org

Offline ONTOS

• Silver Member
Re: Plane icon
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2016, 10:15:17 AM »
I have mentioned it a couple of times. The planes are too close to the distance and plane type. Need to be as in AH II.

Offline Chilli

• Platinum Member
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2016, 10:26:43 AM »
I thought this was moved once.  Did it move back?  Is there any confirmation, or is this another effect of field of view changes?  Not currently a problem on my end, but I am experimenting with icon size, resolution, and field of view.

Offline Scca

• Gold Member
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2016, 11:03:58 AM »
I'm running 120 FOV.

I'll take some screen caps tonight and post. Might just be I'm getting old.

Offline Chilli

• Platinum Member
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2016, 11:10:12 AM »
Might be the 120 FOV.  I will take some screen shots myself at 106 and my current settings resolution 1366 x 768 ... will check for icon size.

Okay edited after screen shots taken.  It appears there might be an optical illusion.  The distance from the plane are identical as far as I can tell, but the LARGER the icon size, the more it appears to separate from the plane.  Tell me if you are seeing differently.  Here are two screen shots, one has 15 font and the other 21 font.

« Last Edit: March 31, 2016, 12:01:09 PM by Chilli »

Offline Scca

• Gold Member
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2016, 12:20:46 PM »
Maybe it's the font size partially to blame.  Notice how the 15 overlaps the plane a little? As you get further away, the overlap obscures the plane, and all you see it the icon...

Offline Chilli

• Platinum Member
« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2016, 12:45:36 PM »
I never got the icon to obscure the plane, but I did notice that large FOV does make the planes SMALLER.  There again, I really do not mean to contradict your observation, but wonder with the combination of larger FOV (therefore smaller plane), smaller icon size and LONGER eight character GameIDs, if the illusion would be more profound. 

Of course, if HiTech has no problem with moving it, I certainly don't see why not.  He is the one that would have to rewrite the coad and test and verify that it didn't pooch something somewhere else.

Offline Scca

• Gold Member
« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2016, 12:52:22 PM »
I never got the icon to obscure the plane, but I did notice that large FOV does make the planes SMALLER.  There again, I really do not mean to contradict your observation, but wonder with the combination of larger FOV (therefore smaller plane), smaller icon size and LONGER eight character GameIDs, if the illusion would be more profound. 

Of course, if HiTech has no problem with moving it, I certainly don't see why not.  He is the one that would have to rewrite the coad and test and verify that it didn't pooch something somewhere else.
in your attached image the icon 20% of the first zero, and almost 50% of the second zero in "400" are over the plane (it appears to me).  As the plane gets further away, that will fully obscure the plane image and it's really messing with my chi. 

Offline Chilli

• Platinum Member
« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2016, 01:26:58 PM »
A screen shot at this point, because on my screen, the plane is painted over the icon, obscuring the icon, not the other way around.  Like I was saying, I didn't test long names with 8 characters, maybe the Seafire with 7 characters will be as close as I can get offline, and I do believe you when you say what you are seeing.  I am just wondering if it is an optical illusion.  They can be very tricky, and practically unnoticeable until pointed out by someone else.  The brain tells you that you saw something that it was expecting to see.

I will look into things on my end further.  :salute

Offline Scca

• Gold Member
« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2016, 03:30:36 PM »
A screen shot at this point, because on my screen, the plane is painted over the icon, obscuring the icon, not the other way around.  Like I was saying, I didn't test long names with 8 characters, maybe the Seafire with 7 characters will be as close as I can get offline, and I do believe you when you say what you are seeing.  I am just wondering if it is an optical illusion.  They can be very tricky, and practically unnoticeable until pointed out by someone else.  The brain tells you that you saw something that it was expecting to see.

I will look into things on my end further.  :salute
Fair enough, but regardless if it's over, or under the plane, when it's merged it keeps the eye from discerning the outline so as to understand the direction of travel cleanly.  It seems that it's harder to determine the direction and attitude changes when the planes direction is effectively camouflaged by the icon.  Adding to it of course is the additional background I now get because I upgraded my video card, and can run a higher level of graphics detail.

Oddly, and off topic, the water seems to be one solid color, with no texture to me.  I can't tell you how many times I hit the water because it looks the same from 20K as it does from the deck.  No depth perception

Offline ONTOS

• Silver Member
« Reply #10 on: April 01, 2016, 05:54:59 PM »
Inside the hanger, the deck seems to bright. Hard to see what convergence is set to or get a new convergence.