Author Topic: Battle of Palmyra. Last words...  (Read 9478 times)

Offline rabbidrabbit

• Gold Member
Re: Battle of Palmyra. Last words...
« Reply #45 on: April 14, 2016, 07:44:27 AM »
Necessary or not, and I don't necessarily agree, it's still tragic. We should treat it and view it as such.

I'm not sure how the two are mutually exclusive.  For that matter, most mature individuals respect the sacrifices of those who volunteer to do so in order that others do not have to endure those hardships.  Perhaps there are some who misunderstand that respect for hero worship and thus we have threads like this one. 

Offline Ripsnort

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #46 on: April 14, 2016, 09:31:10 AM »
I'm not sure how the two are mutually exclusive.  For that matter, most mature individuals respect the sacrifices of those who volunteer to do so in order that others do not have to endure those hardships.  Perhaps there are some who misunderstand that respect for hero worship and thus we have threads like this one.

This!

Offline GScholz

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #47 on: April 14, 2016, 09:41:49 AM »
Necessary or not, and I don't necessarily agree, it's still tragic. We should treat it and view it as such.

Last year an estimated 55,000 people died because of the war in Syria. The bloodiest war in a long time. So far today 113,000 people have died from all causes. So far this year 17,000,000 people have died from all causes. Every single of those deaths is a tragedy to someone. You need some perspective.
"With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censored, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably."

Offline Zimme83

• Gold Member
« Reply #48 on: April 14, 2016, 09:48:38 AM »
I'm not sure how the two are mutually exclusive. For that matter, most mature individuals respect the sacrifices of those who volunteer to do so in order that others do not have to endure those hardships.  Perhaps there are some who misunderstand that respect for hero worship and thus we have threads like this one. 

But then you have to completely ignore the suffering of other people caused by these soldiers , in this case is Russia helping Assad bombing the crap out of his people because they were rude enough to demand democracy. But I guess the suffering of the Syrian people is irrelevant..

Last year an estimated 55,000 people died because of the war in Syria. The bloodiest war in a long time. So far today 113,000 people have died from all causes. So far this year 17,000,000 people have died from all causes. Every single of those deaths is a tragedy to someone. You need some perspective.

Estimated deaths in the Syrian war is now close to 500.000 with around 90% killed by the regime...
''The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge'' - Stephen Hawking

Offline FBKampfer

• Nickel Member
« Reply #49 on: April 14, 2016, 10:04:34 AM »

I'm well aware of this. Believe me.
AvA Development Group
Freebird SAC member

Great men are forged in fire; it is the privilege of lesser men to light the flames.

Offline GScholz

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #50 on: April 14, 2016, 10:07:06 AM »
Estimated deaths in the Syrian war is now close to 500.000 with around 90% killed by the regime...

250,000 (August 2015 UN estimate), 273,520–368,520 (February 2016 SOHR estimate), in five years since 2011. In the same time period a quarter of a billion (with a B) people died from all causes. All current wars combined attribute to less than one single percent of all deaths world wide. In this regard road traffic deaths is a greater problem for mankind than war.
"With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censored, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably."

Offline Zimme83

• Gold Member
« Reply #51 on: April 14, 2016, 10:13:47 AM »
Yes, the world have become much safer, its no help for those affected by war though..

(In fact, even the number of deaths from terror have declined significantly in Europe since the 70s..)
''The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge'' - Stephen Hawking

Offline GScholz

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #52 on: April 14, 2016, 10:19:10 AM »
Cars have become much safer as well. No help for those affected by traffic deaths though...

Offline Zimme83

• Gold Member
« Reply #53 on: April 14, 2016, 10:28:17 AM »
Not so relevant to compare wars and car accidents as there are few states or organizations that kills people on the roads to achieve a political goal...

Offline rabbidrabbit

• Gold Member
« Reply #54 on: April 14, 2016, 10:47:45 AM »
But then you have to completely ignore the suffering of other people caused by these soldiers , in this case is Russia helping Assad bombing the crap out of his people because they were rude enough to demand democracy.

1) Who are "these soldiers"? 

2) There is a ongoing power struggle between many factions in Syria.  Only a small sub set of them are "rude enough to demand democracy"

But I guess the suffering of the Syrian people is irrelevant..

Seriously?  What kind of childish remark is this? 

Offline GScholz

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #55 on: April 14, 2016, 11:03:58 AM »
Not so relevant to compare wars and car accidents as there are few states or organizations that kills people on the roads to achieve a political goal...

Would you want a loved one to die in war, or a traffic accident? It is an impossible question because you don't want loved ones to die period.

Offline GScholz

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #56 on: April 14, 2016, 11:06:53 AM »
That said, if given the choice I'd choose war over cancer every time.

Offline Zimme83

• Gold Member
« Reply #57 on: April 14, 2016, 12:20:55 PM »
That said, if given the choice I'd choose war over cancer every time.

Then i would say that you have no idea of what you are talking about.

Offline Zimme83

• Gold Member
« Reply #58 on: April 14, 2016, 12:28:12 PM »
1) Who are "these soldiers"? 

2) There is a ongoing power struggle between many factions in Syria.  Only a small sub set of them are "rude enough to demand democracy"

Seriously?  What kind of childish remark is this?

The power struggle is a result of the war, which is a result of the public protests and the extremely violent answer to them by the regime.

Offline GScholz

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #59 on: April 14, 2016, 12:38:19 PM »
Then i would say that you have no idea of what you are talking about.

I have a very good idea of what I'm talking about. In both cases.