Author Topic: debunking the myth of the Spitfire  (Read 18170 times)

Offline MiloMorai

• Platinum Member
Re: debunking the myth of the Spitfire
« Reply #45 on: April 05, 2016, 05:59:00 AM »
That's like saying car A didn't win the drag race because it was better, it won because car B was worse.

You can find photos of spits with bombs under their wings and even kegs of beer but you'll be hard pressed to find any photos of a spit with wing drop tanks. This tells me that if anyone was trying to make a long range spitfire they either weren't trying very hard or they didn't want to. The only time I've ever head of spits using under-wing drop tanks was when flying across the atlantic.

Various sized tanks were carried under fuselage.

Offline GScholz

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #46 on: April 05, 2016, 06:19:40 AM »
Wet wings.  P-51 had them, as did later model P-47s.

No wet wings on either of those aircraft. Wing tanks yes, but no wet wings.
"With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censored, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably."

Offline GScholz

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #47 on: April 05, 2016, 06:31:43 AM »
Wasn't that mostly because no one would sell more modern designs to Franco?

No, in the '50s they had American F-86 Sabers, and later they got F-104s, F-4s and F-5s. They also bought French jets in the '60s.

The engine in the 109/Buchon was a British Merlin... I guess since it was indigenous produced it was cheap and could be fielded in large numbers as a ground attack platform. The 109 last saw action in 1958 in the Ifni War in Spanish West Africa.

"With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censored, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably."

Offline GScholz

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #48 on: April 05, 2016, 06:33:32 AM »
Plus Göring was immediately put on the Atkins diet for punishment. That's a lose-lose on the sausage side I think.   :rofl

LOL!

SHIDA! You're back!  :)

Offline nrshida

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #49 on: April 05, 2016, 06:42:32 AM »
LOL!

SHIDA! You're back!  :)

:)

Hi Mr. Scholz,

Back for a brief while to do some research. Thought a bit of old fashioned British sarcastic humour would add a little colour while I'm here.

Was thinking about you recently actually. Had a little go at the JSF design brief just for fun. It is hard. Model about 1/3 complete. Will post some pictures if I ever get it finished.

Happy Friday Pipz!
-=Army of Muppets=-
"Get stuffed Skyyr, you freak" - Zack1234

Offline GScholz

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #50 on: April 05, 2016, 07:26:30 AM »
Looking forward to it. Yeah, if it was easy I doubt Lockheed Martin would have all these problems with it. ;)

Offline GScholz

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #51 on: April 05, 2016, 07:28:06 AM »
How's Tiny Shida? Not so tiny anymore I suspect.

Offline Arlo

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #52 on: April 05, 2016, 07:42:37 AM »
How's Tiny Shida? Not so tiny anymore I suspect.

TMI. Between yourselves, please. ;)

Offline GScholz

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #53 on: April 05, 2016, 07:59:38 AM »
This ridiculous non-existing myth debunking myth has been thoroughly debunked. We're already into who won the BoB and other digressions so.... How's Tiny Shida doing?  :aok

(Arlo, you can turn away if you want ;))

Offline RJH57

• Copper Member
« Reply #54 on: April 05, 2016, 08:57:49 AM »
But most importaint, who won the BOB?

What saved Britain was Operation Barbarossa - the diversion of almost all of Germany's resources to support the invasion of Russia.  Most of the factors that had allowed Fighter Command to "win" the Battle of Britain were reversed in the summer of 1941 with the RAF's failed sweeps and "Circus" operations over north-western Europe. Just as the Luftwaffe failed to force Britain to make peace, so the RAF with its own air campaign in the aftermath of the BoB failed to defeat Germany. 
« Last Edit: April 05, 2016, 09:17:21 AM by RJH57 »
"In Fighters, one must always quest to be
     a well-oiled machine fore Belching,
Whoring and Punching of Heads because
 inevitably the Goal is to flame the Enemy
            and Screw his Old Lady"

Offline Chalenge

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #55 on: April 05, 2016, 09:03:41 AM »
And yet . . . 'Merica!

What you're really upset about is America/Russia kicked the Germans butt? I kind of like the way things turned out.
If you like the Sick Puppy Custom Sound Pack the please consider contributing for future updates by sending a months dues to Hitech Creations for account "Chalenge." Every little bit helps.

Offline RJH57

• Copper Member
« Reply #56 on: April 05, 2016, 09:10:22 AM »
And yet . . . 'Merica!

What you're really upset about is America/Russia kicked the Germans butt? I kind of like the way things turned out.

yea, the Great Liberator Josef Stalin and the freedom-loving Communist Party that created the wonderful Workers' Paradise in Eastern Europe after the war :D But I agree - the United States and Russia were responsible for winning the war, England could never have done it on it's own.

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-pcMAizCiyXc/UJQZ2h8WP5I/AAAAAAAAAzI/T8M-8t__wGY/s1600/stalin_happy_meme.jpg
« Last Edit: April 05, 2016, 09:20:55 AM by RJH57 »
            and Screw his Old Lady"

Offline RJH57

• Copper Member
« Reply #57 on: April 05, 2016, 09:23:44 AM »
This ridiculous non-existing myth debunking myth has been thoroughly debunked.

I think there's been a mythunderstanding  :rofl
            and Screw his Old Lady"

Offline nrshida

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #58 on: April 05, 2016, 10:36:12 AM »
I think RJH57 once blew all his money on a second-hand Triumph Spitfire and was so butt-hurt over the Lucas electrical system that it drove him to Luftwhinery and the need to participate in dubious cosplay photos for his avatar.

This ridiculous non-existing myth debunking myth has been thoroughly debunked. We're already into who won the BoB and other digressions so.... How's Tiny Shida doing?  :aok

I am happy to say he is now very well thank you. He's been discharged from his last hospital monitoring, growing healthily and is apparently very smart. Much smarter than his Dad which is not saying a lot but a relief nonetheless given what John Wayne said about life. Recently taken an interest in shooting offline in Aces High. He also likes bailing out because he believes the parachute is a balloon and likes to see it. Much like Zack1234 in that regard.

Happy Friday Pipz!
-=Army of Muppets=-
"Get stuffed Skyyr, you freak" - Zack1234

Offline GScholz

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #59 on: April 05, 2016, 10:45:15 AM »
Good to hear :)