Author Topic: An odd encounter leads to a profound question  (Read 7771 times)

Offline puller

• Gold Member
Re: An odd encounter leads to a profound question
« Reply #105 on: April 05, 2016, 08:58:41 AM »
Back to the OP: some folk just need to get a thicker skin. If that'd been me on the losing end in that particular scenario (and it usually is) I'd have congratulated the superior pilot, then asked for some tips/ lessons instead of packing up my toys and going home. Even if I though I was being unfairly taken advantage of. Whels never took undue advantage of me, but he used to whip my butt mercilessly and regularly because I kept seeking him out for more. I learned a lot that way, and he got some good points/ perks because he was usually flying a dog and I was always flying the hottest thing I could afford, perk-wise.

If you do come across someone that really owns you...and you keep going back for more...that is like on-the-job-training....it works wonders and is how I learned when I first started years ago...

I think it was last year sometime Huklebry and I went into a custom arena...after I talked a ton of crap to him...and just dueling eachother for a couple of hours made a world of difference in my flying...and we walked away friends...

Cmex and I have almost been in the same squad since I started in '05...there was a time around '09 or 2010 that we weren't...I would consistently run into him...go poof...and go back for more...getting better every time....

If you don't have the mental capability to take a bad situation and turn it into a learning experience....it doesn't matter if it's a game or if it's a real life situation...you have serious problems...

Taking your ball and going home because you can't overcome adversity is a problem...and it is becoming more widespread as time goes by...

I watch people rage quit this game almost every time I play...I got to play for the first time since frame 3 of March's FSO Sunday night for about 5 hours and saw people rage quitting on the regular... :rofl :rofl :rofl

Like I said...if you can't handle adversity...you don't stand a chance...in this game or in real life.... :aok

I guess I should add that if your a retired old man...then the handling real life adversity doesn't effect you as you have either already succeeded or failed at whatever it was that you done with your life... :noid
"The road to Hell is paved with good intentions."
CO   Anti-Horde

Offline Kanth

• Gold Member
« Reply #106 on: April 05, 2016, 09:17:52 AM »
good post.

Also learn when you are having a bad night and step away from the game and do something that's more inline with how you are feeling.  It's not going to get better if you just keep going back at that point  :ahand

you need to be in a reasonable frame of mind to learn from your mistakes.

If you don't have the mental capability to take a bad situation and turn it into a learning experience....it doesn't matter if it's a game or if it's a real life situation...you have serious problems...
Gone from the game. Please see Spikes or Nefarious for any Ahevents.net admin needs.

Offline Vinkman

• Gold Member
« Reply #107 on: April 05, 2016, 09:42:33 AM »
When he made up what I was doing and why or something else along the way?  :huh

I addressed you because you provided an argument for the defence of persons in the encounter. I used "you" as a third person pronoun for the preson in the encounter that you (Arlo) were defending. Not because Arlo was in the encounter.  But you knew that already.  :salute
Who is John Galt?

Offline Arlo

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #108 on: April 05, 2016, 09:56:45 AM »
I addressed you because you provided an argument for the defence of persons in the encounter. I used "you" as a third person pronoun for the preson in the encounter that you (Arlo) were defending. Not because Arlo was in the encounter.  But you knew that already.  :salute

"Your defense of your behavior" is not third person but I'll let ya slide.  ;)

Offline Vinkman

• Gold Member
« Reply #109 on: April 05, 2016, 10:00:27 AM »
"Your defense of your behavior" is not third person but I'll let ya slide.  ;)

thatnks! it's exhausting to keep this all straight.  ;)
Who is John Galt?

Offline Arlo

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #110 on: April 05, 2016, 10:12:33 AM »
A recap of my point, to anyone with an investment in this thread, is that there has always been merciless vulching. There will always be merciless vulching. It will happen in any arena and in AHII or Beta AHIII. It will happen for numerous reasons (player's an a-hole, player's drunk, the vulchee volunteered for it, etc.). If you are witness to it and it disturbs you, especially if it's a case of 3+ against 1, there's a better way to address it than a thread on the AHBB. If you're on the advantaged side, switch and join the vulchee. Talk to said vulchee and see if he's just re-upping to get vulched out of some odd frustration. Heck, he may be a squadie of the vulcher (which leads to a whole new subject not worth talking about).

Basically ..... help the disadvantaged (especially if you think it'll lead to a rage-quit situation). And explaining things to a new guy helps in the skin thickening process.

Offline Ramesis

• Silver Member
« Reply #111 on: April 05, 2016, 03:19:44 PM »
Imho... its a game  :banana:
For those who take it greater than a game,
get a life  :old:
Ramesis/Osiris
"Would you tell me, please,
 which way I ought to go from here?
 That depends a good deal on where
 you want to get to. Said the cat."