Author Topic: Non-Peak Time ENY / Side Switching  (Read 2360 times)

Offline popeye

• Gold Member
Re: Non-Peak Time ENY / Side Switching
« Reply #15 on: April 12, 2016, 11:16:32 AM »
I think ENY should apply no matter what  because 16vs3  is just as bad as 64vs12.  Whether they are all hitting the same areas or not they could post a mission or flock together at any moment. 

Side switching off peak may be a solution allow one swap on login then, 1 hour between switches.  Also only allow switching to the low # side at any point.

Depends what you call "off-peak", and "low-number side".  Wouldn't want to stop someone from switching to be with his squad, when the sides are 64 v 60.
KONG

Where is Major Kong?!?

Offline nrshida

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #16 on: April 12, 2016, 11:21:51 AM »
ENY is simply an abbreviation of enemy. It is the rating given planes & vehicles against other enemy people. OBJ is simply short for Object, it is the rating give a plane or vehicle against ground objects.

Perks are awarded based on Your planes ENY / dead plane ENY.

HiTech

Thank you. Makes perfect sense and I think it's a good system in isolation with a lot of players. However it seems at off-peak times the 6 hour side switching rule in combination with ENY makes more problem that it solves. It's just a subjective impression of course. Would you be willing to try for a trial period swapping to the low side anytime when numbers are below 50 players say?

”It's a shame that he's gone, but the shame is entirely his”
HiTech 2 - Skyyr 0

Offline Bruv119

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://www.thefewsquadron.co.uk
« Reply #17 on: April 12, 2016, 11:26:38 AM »
I would call off peak 9am to about 3pm UK time so 4am to 10am East coast.  Anything less than say 80 players total across all 3 teams.  Rock bottom has been something like <20 recently   :uhoh

At these times having 2-3 squaddies would make you a mini horde so yes they would be blocked.  I would say for 80% of players in squadrons they routinely do not switch unless they are a bit of a maverick and enjoy looking for a fight so being able to swap within the hour or on login would solve that. 
The Few ***
F.P.H

Offline JunkyII

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #18 on: April 12, 2016, 11:41:51 AM »
I would call off peak 9am to about 3pm UK time so 4am to 10am East coast.  Anything less than say 80 players total across all 3 teams.  Rock bottom has been something like <20 recently   :uhoh

At these times having 2-3 squaddies would make you a mini horde so yes they would be blocked.  I would say for 80% of players in squadrons they routinely do not switch unless they are a bit of a maverick and enjoy looking for a fight so being able to swap within the hour or on login would solve that.
I would extend that out to about 5 EST.
DFC Member
Proud Member of Pigs on the Wing
"Yikes"

Offline Masherbrum

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #19 on: April 12, 2016, 01:45:26 PM »
The issue is simple.   "Safety in numbers".
-=Most Wanted=-

FSO Squad 412th FNVG
http://worldfamousfridaynighters.com/
Co-Founder of DFC

Offline NikonGuy

• Copper Member
« Reply #20 on: April 12, 2016, 06:16:30 PM »
NRShida

Being an Aussie, I pretty much only fly in off peak.  What we off peak people do often is liase offline via Facebook and organise to meet at a certain time and also where, i.e. DA.  We have a lot of fun doing that and usually end up with 5 to 10 players in the DA, all mates, much laughter and good times :)

Or jump in the MA and ask if anyone wants to head to the DA, usually a bunch will if there isn't much happening.

NG <S>
You break 'em, I fix 'em.
RAAF Retired Aircraft Maintenance Technician, General Dynamics F111, Lockheed P3C, Douglas A20G & DB7

Offline bustr

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #21 on: April 13, 2016, 12:54:04 AM »
Didn't we once have a single arena during peak low numbers times back when the MA was split in 2? Concessions have been made respective to numbers. If there is a time at which less than 75 people are in the arena that holds for 4-8 hours, that is not an anomaly nor something customers are paying to be disappointed by.

The goal for HTC is to build the customer base into the future and return us to more than 75 in the MA at peak low times. AH3 has the ability to do this. For now, unless AH3 will go live inside of the next 30 days. Maybe something should be done for the faithful customers who are accepting the numbers poor playing conditions of peak off times. Their experience should be as good as HTC can manage to make it in the face of how good peak time players experiences are.

We also need to consider that Hitech may not have the code in place to trigger side switching at will when the arena numbers hit 75 or lower for a given amount of time. Or the code in place to disable ENY for the same conditions. He is the only person coding and debugging at all levels for AH3.

In the face of AH3 being prepped for go live, seems much of this is simply not enough Hitech to go around coupled with an unwillingness to have faith in AH3. It is obvious given Hitech's resources, he has chosen to take a lot up front on the chin from his customers while trying to get the next version of Aces High out the door.

And his customers are heartily giving it to him on his chin since it's obvious he has no other choice within the parameters he has to work by.

bustr - POTW 1st Wing

This is like the old joke that voters are harsher to their beer brewer if he has an outage, than their politicians after raising their taxes. Death and taxes are certain but, fun and sex is only now.

Offline Crash Orange

• Silver Member
« Reply #22 on: April 13, 2016, 07:30:27 AM »
I think ENY should apply no matter what  because 16vs3  is just as bad as 64vs12.  Whether they are all hitting the same areas or not they could post a mission or flock together at any moment. 

Not if 13 of the 16 are asleep. This is a big problem at night, the percentage of people who aren't anywhere near their computer but never bothered to log off goes way up and skews ENY. In practice below about 50 players the number of people logged on for each side becomes random and meaningless in terms of the numbers of players actually engaged. This is especially true when one side is near a map win late at night, nobody on that side logs off because they want the free perks.

Some of us have been begging for years for the game to boot people from the arena if they go 2 hours or so without leaving the tower or moving their controls. Yes, some people would devise ways of getting around it but most wouldn't bother and in any case it's hard to see how it could hurt.

Offline GScholz

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #23 on: April 13, 2016, 07:38:41 AM »
People who just sit in the tower should be auto-kicked after 10-15 minutes or so. Also when people log on they should be automatically enrolled with the chess piece country with the lowest numbers. They can always choose to switch to their favorite country or boyfriend or whatever...
"With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censored, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably."

Offline Masherbrum

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #24 on: April 13, 2016, 07:41:48 AM »
He avoided switching to the side with three players.   Seems to be less complicated as some are making this.   There was minimal difference in ENY, between the other two sides. 
-=Most Wanted=-

FSO Squad 412th FNVG
Co-Founder of DFC

Offline nrshida

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #25 on: April 13, 2016, 08:51:28 AM »
He avoided switching to the side with three players.   Seems to be less complicated as some are making this.   There was minimal difference in ENY, between the other two sides.

There were no fights against the country with three players. None at all otherwise I would have swapped there.

HiTech 2 - Skyyr 0

Offline Masherbrum

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #26 on: April 13, 2016, 11:46:27 AM »
There were no fights against the country with three players. None at all otherwise I would have swapped there.

You do have the option of starting a fight though.   Just saying maybe next time try it.
-=Most Wanted=-

FSO Squad 412th FNVG
Co-Founder of DFC

Offline Bruv119

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://www.thefewsquadron.co.uk
« Reply #27 on: April 13, 2016, 11:56:40 AM »
not saying shida does this but sometimes you do have to engineer a fight (especially off hours) rather than tower watch / monitor scanty dar bars that may or may not indicate a correct level of cons inbound.

After about 10-15minutes of looking at the map you get a feel for what is on and then go about provoking an enemy reaction.  Some of the best furballs occur out of recently failed base takes and you have to get airbourne to create that environment.  Logging off in disgust that your meal wasn't on a plate for you does wear thin (again not directed at anyone in particular). 

I do sympathise with guys who havent got all day and want a quick fight hopefully the 1vs1 arena might help with that.
The Few ***
F.P.H

Offline Masherbrum

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #28 on: April 13, 2016, 12:01:38 PM »
Agree Bruv.  Well stated.
-=Most Wanted=-

FSO Squad 412th FNVG
Co-Founder of DFC

Offline nrshida

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #29 on: April 14, 2016, 12:56:46 AM »
Perhaps I am being lazy. I have tried to start fights. I shoot out radars, sometimes in a chain and try to fake I'm a huge squad. Sometimes there's a single upper, even whenI dump all my energy, even going -e they mostly seem to run to ack. Even that's rare, usually I get shot at by the 88-mm and I can't dogfight that, so I move away.

I just want to dogfight. That's apparently becoming an unreasonable request?
HiTech 2 - Skyyr 0