Author Topic: Dogfighting and Strafing  (Read 900 times)

Offline darkrider400

• Zinc Member
Dogfighting and Strafing
« on: April 11, 2016, 12:14:31 PM »
So I'm a mouse user because I have yet to obtain a decent joystick. Because of this, rudder use is relatively choppy and makes adjustments rather difficult. First off, I'll start with Dogfighting. Spitfires had are known for their very quick turn time/ turn radius. Yet, I can't even seem to outturn a TU-2S. It's gotta be something within the controls, but I have a really hard time turnfighting anything other than a heavy bomber like a Lancaster. Now to Strafing, since I don't have much direct rudder control, I really can't pinpoint strafe, my rockets are always off even if I compensate for their wing-mount positions, and strafing gun emplacements if very hard to do unless I use big cannons like the Me-410's dual 30mm loadout. That and I seem to get blown out of the sky by any AAA emplacements I try to attack. I went to attack a vehicle base in a P-38L and I got absolutely shredded, within the first 5 seconds of my first run, both my engines were hit, I was leaking fuel from all tanks, my rudder was gone, right aileron gone, and both my elevators were destroyed. How can someone effectively hit ground targets like that?

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
Re: Dogfighting and Strafing
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2016, 12:29:16 PM »
Do you have stall limiter enabled?  If you do, disable it.
"If Jesus came back as an airplane, he would be a P-38." - WW2 P-38 pilot
Elite Top Aces +1 Mexican Official Squadron Song

Offline DmonSlyr

• Platinum Member
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2016, 12:40:37 PM »
So I'm a mouse user because I have yet to obtain a decent joystick. Because of this, rudder use is relatively choppy and makes adjustments rather difficult. First off, I'll start with Dogfighting. Spitfires had are known for their very quick turn time/ turn radius. Yet, I can't even seem to outturn a TU-2S. It's gotta be something within the controls, but I have a really hard time turnfighting anything other than a heavy bomber like a Lancaster. Now to Strafing, since I don't have much direct rudder control, I really can't pinpoint strafe, my rockets are always off even if I compensate for their wing-mount positions, and strafing gun emplacements if very hard to do unless I use big cannons like the Me-410's dual 30mm loadout. That and I seem to get blown out of the sky by any AAA emplacements I try to attack. I went to attack a vehicle base in a P-38L and I got absolutely shredded, within the first 5 seconds of my first run, both my engines were hit, I was leaking fuel from all tanks, my rudder was gone, right aileron gone, and both my elevators were destroyed. How can someone effectively hit ground targets like that?

Go to options> preferences> flight, and then turn off "stall limiter" this will help you turn harder, but you will stall a lot more easily. Next, go read up about BFMs, they will help you learn to turn better using better angles with E management. Also you can work on your throttle and Flap control. Getting that notch of flaps out will help you turn a lot more quickly once you get slow enough. Cutting throttle can help you gain a tighter  manuever. Flap and throttle work are more advanced techniques.

Get with someone in the DA or TA who can help you learn BFMs and the concepts to ACM, which will help you learn to control and fight with the aircraft better.

As far as straffing goes, you really need planes with 20mms or bigger to do the trick. 50 cals take a lot of bullets to kill a manned gun. I'd recommend flying with someone in the TA who can show you how to shoot rockets and dive bomb better. The ack is very deadly, there is a way to sweep the field but you need someone to show you, I can't really explain it. Always aim higher with rockets. They are heavy and fall when they shoot, so you have to aim higher to hit the targets. There are special ways to dive bomb but someone will have to show you that in the game.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2016, 12:42:16 PM by DmonSlyr »
The Damned(est. 1988)
-=Army of Muppets=-
2014 & 2018 KoTH ToC Champion

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2016, 12:43:34 PM »
Your turn rate and radius are affected by your speed. The Spitfire has a low speed turn advantage. You won't see an advantage at high speeds.

Practice maneuvering offline while shooting at the drones.

Practice strafing ground targets offline.

Avoiding ack requires high speed and a flight path that minimizes your exposure.