Author Topic: a thought for fun, opinions wanted  (Read 6014 times)

Offline fudgums

• Gold Member
Re: a thought for fun, opinions wanted
« Reply #45 on: April 23, 2016, 04:07:37 PM »
would a start time of 9pm EST on a saturday night be ok with everyone?

Solid time.  :aok
"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG27

Offline Zoney

• Platinum Member
« Reply #46 on: April 23, 2016, 05:06:24 PM »
would a start time of 9pm EST on a saturday night be ok with everyone?

Perfect.
Wag more, bark less.

Offline BFOOT1

• Silver Member
« Reply #47 on: April 27, 2016, 11:45:18 AM »
I certainly would be interested in this type of setup! It would be difficult to pick a side though, as I like some allied setups, and I like some axis setups, specifically the Luftwaffe.
Member of G3MF
III Gruppe, 8 Staffel, JG52, flying Black 12 (Kuban Scenario)

Offline captain1ma

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
      • JG54 website
« Reply #48 on: April 30, 2016, 07:40:55 AM »
if anyone is interested in helping out and would like to get on the development team for input to this endeavor, please contact me and I will add you to our AVA Development forum.

This AVA war needs some hashing out and I need some help and some input please.

Offline captain1ma

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
      • JG54 website
« Reply #49 on: May 04, 2016, 11:40:06 PM »
question: how would you want to start this thing. we have 2 concepts we'd like input on.

1. go right into a fight with the enemy(opposing players)

2. roll a couple of bases unopposed, to establish the frontline and then get into a battle with the enemy. Territories(bases) captured count towards goal.

object for number #2 is to give the squaddies time to organized and to learn what's necessary in the new game and on unfamiliar terrain, how to capture a base.

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #50 on: May 05, 2016, 12:39:58 PM »
Get right to the fight. Plenty of time to play AH III and learn the lay of the land.

Folks not already playing in there are in for a learning curve.
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

Offline Zoney

• Platinum Member
« Reply #51 on: May 05, 2016, 01:24:47 PM »
Get right to the fight please, thank you.  Speed it up a bit even maybe.  10K airstarts for everyone, every plane.  Not a huge air start, just 10K which will help the bombers the most.
Wag more, bark less.

Offline DubiousKB

• Silver Member
« Reply #52 on: May 06, 2016, 09:45:22 AM »
I like the idea of air starts for quick action. I would request that their be separate air spawns for bombers and fighters. Perhaps some bonus altitude for the bombers so that the fighters would need to decide between engaging fighters or intercepting bombers.

Either way, this is turning into a interesting event.    :aok
56th Fighter Group -  Jug Life

Offline Easyscor

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #53 on: May 06, 2016, 02:18:39 PM »

The usual melee setup in the AvA provides immediate action any time you can find someone in the arena and that won't change.

The AvA War is supposed to be different. It's for players looking to immerse themselves in the history and feel of WWII and allows your Generals to have complete control over their sides' actions.

The chaos is controlled with limited lives for air rides and unlimited lives for GVs. This event can't be fun if you kill yourself 3 times in the first ten minutes and are asked to change rides or leave. The trade-off is that so long and you survive and manage to rearm, you stay in the fight in your chosen ride.

May I point out that the only optional delay is in the first frame of the tour and it's design intent is there to provide both immersion and a player controlled mechanism to establish a superior position over his opponent. After that, it depends on your ride and the number of lives the setup is meant to provide. Rides in unlimited lives come with the potential for immediate action. I won't (can anyone ever say that and mean it?) depend on the "honor system" with player enforced rules. If lives are limited, then your distance to action is critical. You won't be waiting around but you won't see the enemy when you launch from the runway either, this isn't intended to be weekly AvA setup.

Some of you have commented that you love AvA terrains. Now come see how we put it all together in AvA War!

Easy in-game again.
Since Tour 19 - 2001

Offline Easyscor

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #54 on: May 06, 2016, 02:42:48 PM »
We love the interest this has generated and some of the comments have sparked intense debate among the staff. I'm a lurker these days rather then actual staff.

question: how would you want to start this thing. we have 2 concepts we'd like input on.

1. go right into a fight with the enemy(opposing players)

In this scenario (1), the battle lines are drawn on the map between the two sides and the players launch from their home bases. The GVs start at the bases nearest that front line drawn on a the map.

2. roll a couple of bases unopposed, to establish the frontline and then get into a battle with the enemy. Territories(bases) captured count towards goal.

object for number #2 is to give the squaddies time to organized and to learn what's necessary in the new game and on unfamiliar terrain, how to capture a base.

In this scenario (2), the sides have the potential to gain an advantage over their opponent. The home bases for air rides (where you initially launch) are the same! The difference is that there is no line drawn on a map and the GVs start some distance back in "their territory" instead of facing each other.

btw, The AvA staff is looking for janitors (aka staff) interested in helping out with both designs and actual arena management. In addition, there are openings for new terrain builders. If you're interested, the staff will provide training.
Easy in-game again.
Since Tour 19 - 2001

Offline captain1ma

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
      • JG54 website
« Reply #55 on: May 14, 2016, 11:27:03 AM »
ok guys, here's a preliminary setup. this is something that we're still working on. when we go live with this it will be Saturday nights at 9pm EST.
flame away and tell me what's wrong with this or how much you like it. I really need opinions, good bad or indifferent. thanks

Please take a look at this write-up and critique it please.
this is what im proposing for Saturday nights once the new game comes up.

AVA Wars Tour 1
Battle for Europe:

Germany and England are duking it out. Germany is sending all its fighters and attack fighters to Britain to bring Churchill and the RAF to its knees. Britain is within 2 months of its air power and resources collapsing under the strain of the German onslaught. england is putting up a fight as best it can with what it has available to it.  its a real battle of wits and will. who will come out ahead.

Over all objective: Capture more bases then the other side.
Allied objective: to not only get a foothold in Germany, but to move forward.
Axis objective: to get a foothold in England and annex the country as part of the master plan.

Each side picks 1 target and 2 back up targets in case of capture after 1 hour

This battle starts as an invasion with 2 vehicle spawn points on both sides of the English channel. This battle will be mostly Geared to a ground war, but not completely. one side MUST successfully capture a base to get a foothold.

Vehicle spawn can be supported by aircraft and vehicles.
aircraft must fly from assigned airbases. if you lose the base, it will be out of commission for the rest of the frame. Any Bases captured will be down for the Rest of the Frame.
you will be allowed to RECAPTURE them in the NEXT Frame however.
this means you can let a guy get his supply line going, and then cut it from behind!

Radar will be on with a delay. this means you will be able to see enemy aircraft and where they are spawning from. A Air Traffic Controller(ATC) will be helpful.

Aircraft Lives: after much discussion, we have decided that there will be unlimited lives in this setup. This setup is about base captures not points. Therefore all planes will have unlimited lives, as will all GV's.

anti-aircraft and manned guns: all guns will be man-able. This is an all out war! Anything goes! down time for ack will be extended slightly, but all downtimes will be left as MA standard.

Base Capture: He who captures the most bases wins! this is a 12 week event run in conjunction with the FSO. The AVA cannot run logs so its all about bases. This setup is not designed to be like regular scenarios, its designed for the best side to win! bear that in mind. if Germany beats England, so be it. The more people you recruit to play, the more fun it will be!

planeset:
Axis:

JU88
HE111
BF-110C
BF-109E-4

Jeep
M3
M8
M16
SKfg251

Allies:
Boston
Spit I
Hurricane I

Jeep
M3
M8
M16

*after the first frame, M4's and panzers will be available

Start time: 9pm EST Saturday Nights (Saturday nights where theres a FSO on friday night)

Bombers: Unlimited lives. No formations(this is to try to force group attacks). level bombing or NOE.
Radar: dot dar tower only, range ring active. ATC allowed. 2 minute delay radar minimun altitude 300 feet. darbar radar for NOE missions.
Fighers: unlimited lives, can be used for ground support or anti bomber protection.
Manned Guns: active.
Objects destroyed : stay down for MA standards
GV's unlimited lives. First frame all fast attack vehicles for invasion purposes.

Each side has one base to take and one base to defend. Once a base is captures, secondary target will be active.

Since certain planes come out of certain bases, tactics would behoove you to find out whats coming out of active based and bomb fighter or bombers hangers to stop other side from launching. protect hangers with field guns and stop bombers with fighters.

all bases will have GV's, not all Bases will have planes.
Radar:  1939 || 039600 | 052800
Icons: 3k Friendly 1K enemy.
AAA: 1.0
Weather: variable.
Terrain: AH3 AVAchanl

Offline popeye

• Gold Member
« Reply #56 on: May 14, 2016, 12:01:51 PM »
Any plan for side balancing?
KONG

Where is Major Kong?!?

Offline Zoney

• Platinum Member
« Reply #57 on: May 14, 2016, 02:23:16 PM »
I'm In for axis of course. Probably every single frame. This is perfect.
Wag more, bark less.

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #58 on: May 14, 2016, 06:16:57 PM »
This start tonight?
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

Offline Easyscor

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #59 on: May 14, 2016, 06:20:59 PM »
This start tonight?

No, it's intended for AH3
Easy in-game again.
Since Tour 19 - 2001