Author Topic: Film capture  (Read 2514 times)

Offline 8thJinx

• Silver Member
Film capture
« on: April 19, 2016, 05:44:26 PM »
Does anyone have any film capture software recommendations that work in both AH2 and AH3?  Thanks

B-24H Liberator SN 294837-T, "The Jinx", 848th BS, 490th BG, 8th AF, RAF Station Eye, delivered 1943.  Piloted by Lt. Thomas Keyes, named by by his crew, and adorned with bad luck symbols, the aircraft survived the entire war.

Offline Chalenge

• Plutonium Member
Re: Film capture
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2016, 05:55:42 PM »
Loilo is free.

http://loilo.tv/us/product/game_recorder

Hardware capture is better.
If you like the Sick Puppy Custom Sound Pack the please consider contributing for future updates by sending a months dues to Hitech Creations for account "Chalenge." Every little bit helps.

Offline Gman

• Gold Member
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2016, 07:21:36 PM »
Hey Chalenge, what hardware card/box would you recommend for general gaming capture/streaming?  Google isn't especially helpful or accurate on this subject.

Offline Estes

• Gold Member
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2016, 08:04:02 PM »
Give these  a look Gman https://www.elgato.com/en

Offline Gman

• Gold Member
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2016, 02:24:13 AM »
Ya, I've checked the ElGato ones out, some others too, just wondering what the absolute best gamer option is out there - seen some PCI internal cards too - It's hard to know which is the best option based on the wide variety of opinions out there.  I don't need console capable, after failing to force myself to like the new consoles I've sold them both, and accepted the fact that I'm only a PC gamer. 

Offline LCADolby

• Platinum Member
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2016, 02:32:47 AM »
I use xSplit to stream and Bandicam to film.
JG5 "Eismeer"
YouTube-20Dolby10
Twitch - Glendinho

Offline Chalenge

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2016, 05:42:08 AM »
I use the ElGato Game Capture HD60 Pro for speedy videos, but the streaming side is not as good (from what I hear) and I don't stream. I can go into a lot more detail about my setup if you need to know what works really well.

For higher quality videos I use a BlackMagic DeckLink 4k Extreme 12G (~$1400), which is capable of up to 2160p60. I use a lot more hardware when I make 4k videos, and my Internet connection does not support uploads at that resolution so you're not likely to see that on YouTube anytime soon. My connection does not support streaming, but if I was going to do that I would probably use the 12G and canned videos (advertisements and detail videos) to switch, mix, and render, because with enough hardware it can really reduce your work load and the time involved in making videos. And here again I could write a lot more about this setup, but unless you have thousands (literally) for this it's not going to appeal to you.

EDIT: If I had it all to do over again I might just stick with AJA and get their KONA 4. As it was I had just bought a new M3 and didn't want to lay out the coin for the KONA when I bought the BlackMagic, but the price has dropped somewhat since.

The ElGato is all the casual user needs.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2016, 07:55:32 AM by Chalenge »
If you like the Sick Puppy Custom Sound Pack the please consider contributing for future updates by sending a months dues to Hitech Creations for account "Chalenge." Every little bit helps.

Offline Chalenge

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2016, 03:42:19 PM »
I have been working through an awful lot of videos lately. One problem the Elgato has is that the software records the video and audio separately. When it then exports the video the audio is almost never in sync with the video. This leads to many situations that are difficult and often impossible for a novice to fix. You're almost better off recording audio in a separate program.

Video quality can suffer from the H.264 codec woes on YouTube. Some but not all video games can benefit from the DSR option that Nvidia offers. I o not know if AMD Radeon has something similar. With H.264 compression you may see artifacts and pixelated fields that do not exist in the original video. DSR helps to eliminate that, but the solution probably will not come about until H.265 and YouTube are both in harmony. I just posted a round of golf in The Golf Club where I recorded at 4k (DSR) and Elgato did a wonderful job with the video (audio a different story). Playback of this video on a UHD display is far better than most 1080p channels. While it isn't possible to do this in all games I think it will become my standard way of recording videos where I can get away with it.

Offline Scca

• Gold Member
« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2016, 05:54:32 PM »
I use bandicam in AH2, but I get a codec error in Beta. No response to the possible problem when I posted it.
Flying as AkMeathd - CO Arabian Knights
Working on my bbs cred one post at a time

http://www.arabian-knights.org

Offline Chalenge

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2016, 09:58:33 PM »
I use bandicam in AH2, but I get a codec error in Beta. No response to the possible problem when I posted it.

Did you install the K-Lite Mega codec pack?

Offline Scca

• Gold Member
« Reply #10 on: April 25, 2016, 04:52:29 AM »
Did you install the K-Lite Mega codec pack?
Wuz zat?  No I haven't. What is this thing you speak of?

Offline Chalenge

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #11 on: April 25, 2016, 08:14:47 AM »
K-Lite is a large collection of codecs and the Mega version even has a few viewers that allow media to play on Windows that won't otherwise.

I don't know the codec that bandicam uses in particular. I do know that if you are using Quicktime on a Windows platform that you should uninstall that.

Offline Scca

• Gold Member
« Reply #12 on: April 25, 2016, 08:20:48 AM »
K-Lite is a large collection of codecs and the Mega version even has a few viewers that allow media to play on Windows that won't otherwise.

I don't know the codec that bandicam uses in particular. I do know that if you are using Quicktime on a Windows platform that you should uninstall that.
Thanks, I will look into that.

Offline nooby52

• Silver Member
« Reply #13 on: April 25, 2016, 11:27:21 AM »
I use the full version of BandiCam in both AHII and AHIII with good results: no problems so far.

Flying as "South52" for VF-17 Jolly Rogers
17 Squadron - The Hardest Day Battle of Britain
204 Kokutai - Target Rabaul
610 Squadron -TFT Battle of Britain

Offline BoilerDown

• Silver Member
« Reply #14 on: April 26, 2016, 11:58:25 PM »
Unless you have two computers, you don't want or need a capture card.  Use Open Broadcasting Software instead.  Check out this thread to help you set it up: https://obsproject.com/forum/threads/how-to-make-high-quality-local-recordings.12600

Edit: By the way, if you do have a second computer to use for the capture and encoding, and your resolution/framerate is 1080p60 (or less), don't buy some super-expensive capture card, get this off ebay instead: http://www.ebay.com/itm/391442229643 .

You'll need a free PCIe 4x slot (or longer) and you'll need to route the audio separately, but that capture card beats the crap out of the gamer-marketed capture cards and from ebay its only $100 bucks shipped in the US.  A bunch of people on the OBS forums have been getting them (thread: https://obsproject.com/forum/threads/unsupported-datapath-vision-capture.12503 ).
« Last Edit: April 27, 2016, 12:18:30 AM by BoilerDown »
Boildown

This is the Captain.  We have a lil' problem with our entry sequence so we may experience some slight turbulence and then... explode.

Boildown is Twitching: http://www.twitch.tv/boildown