Author Topic: Couple of new Gun purchases  (Read 3275 times)

Offline Oldman731

• Plutonium Member
Re: Couple of new Gun purchases
« Reply #15 on: April 21, 2016, 08:42:10 PM »
Thanks Mav! My stepdads service revolver was a S&W .357 mag too but unsure if it was a 19 or a 66.

His was blued as well.

I have a Model 28, the Highway Patrolman.  Best bargain in the country for a couple of decades.  What a nice gun.  Good luck with yours.

- oldman

Offline Ripsnort

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #16 on: April 22, 2016, 12:53:21 AM »
I'm not a fan of any self defense caliber under .38; as for the .357, you must watch for over penetration.

I have 4 other pistols as a choice for self defense over this pistol. The S&W 357 is a range pistol only. No way in hell could I carry a 38 oz (with no ammo) on my belt.

Offline Ripsnort

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #17 on: April 22, 2016, 12:54:24 AM »

I have a Model 28, the Highway Patrolman.  Best bargain in the country for a couple of decades.  What a nice gun.  Good luck with yours.

- oldman

lol, I was eyeing a Model 28, but the price got beyond what I was willing to pay for it in an auction.

Offline redcatcherb412

• Nickel Member
« Reply #18 on: April 22, 2016, 09:44:03 AM »

- oldman

I still have my 28 I bought in '73 for my service revolver.  Didn't want the 19 the PD handed out for service guns.
You are right, a great, hefty chunk of metal.  Years of practice and qualifying I have no idea how many rounds I
fired thru it, probably more than I fired in 5 months in the infantry overseas.  :police:
Ground Pounders ...

Offline Maverick

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #19 on: April 22, 2016, 11:14:03 AM »
Rip, if your step dad's revolver was the same frame size and blue it was almost certainly the 19. The 6 series guns indicated stainless steel construction. The 66 is the same as the 19, just in stainless.

The model 27 / 28 (same gun different finish and accessories) were the original .357 frame. Very heavy as it was derived from the 44  russian / special that S&W  had been making. That gun is a real workhorse and will keep running until you beat it with a sledge hammer. That same frame (L frame) is also used in the 29 (44 mag).

Given the choice of a pythion or 27 / 66 I'd go for the smith every time. I like the python for it's finish and smooth action but they are fragile considering the use that colt originally intended, premium duty gun. The "snakes" from colt are enjoying a resurgence in popularity from the walking dead show because Rick has one.
DEFINITION OF A VETERAN
A Veteran - whether active duty, retired, national guard or reserve - is someone who, at one point in their life, wrote a check made payable to "The United States of America", for an amount of "up to and including my life."
Author Unknown

Offline Ripsnort

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #20 on: April 22, 2016, 09:56:33 PM »
Rip, if your step dad's revolver was the same frame size and blue it was almost certainly the 19. The 6 series guns indicated stainless steel construction. The 66 is the same as the 19, just in stainless.

The model 27 / 28 (same gun different finish and accessories) were the original .357 frame. Very heavy as it was derived from the 44  russian / special that S&W  had been making. That gun is a real workhorse and will keep running until you beat it with a sledge hammer. That same frame (L frame) is also used in the 29 (44 mag).

Given the choice of a pythion or 27 / 66 I'd go for the smith every time. I like the python for it's finish and smooth action but they are fragile considering the use that colt originally intended, premium duty gun. The "snakes" from colt are enjoying a resurgence in popularity from the walking dead show because Rick has one.

I cannot believe how the Snake gun prices have exploded over the past two decades Mav! Holy smokes! I am not a wheel gun guy so I will take your word for it.

The Bauer .25 ACP (arrived Monday) next to my first wheel gun..a S&W 66-3 .357 magnum 6" brl (arrived today)

The Bauer, from my google-net research on the innernets, appears to be a lower to mid-range S/N in the 32,000 range (they made them between 1971 and 1984, essentially a baby browning knock off), indicates it should be about my graduation year, 1978.:) IT WAS UNFIRED!!!!

The S&W .357 mag was cleaner, less fired than what I expected based on pictures of the auction. Turn lines on the cylinder? I couldn't detect ANY!

I couldn't be happier for these two purchases. No buyers remorse! (Pistol for wife's birthday and the magnum because I felt inferior after handling the .25 ACP)

Patience pays off (been stalking these two for at least 2 months, looking for the right condition and price)

Offline Ripsnort

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #21 on: April 23, 2016, 04:45:55 PM »
Celebrate Diversity!  :aok

Offline FLOOB

• Gold Member
« Reply #22 on: April 26, 2016, 11:04:36 PM »
I see you have a cz75. I guess you're still hanging on to those other guns for sentimental reasons.  :D
“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans” - John Steinbeck

Offline Ripsnort

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #23 on: April 27, 2016, 02:10:28 PM »
I see you have a cz75. I guess you're still hanging on to those other guns for sentimental reasons.  :D
HA! THe CZ is a fine pistol in the 9mm. Having not owned anything but .45 and .40 caliber pistols in the past, I really don't have anything to compare it to.
But it goes boom, groups nicely, and fits my hand nicely.

Only the 1911's shown are more accurate than that CZ, at least in my hands, but I'm only throwing about 500 rounds of pistol lead a month so I am not expert.

Offline Ripsnort

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #24 on: April 30, 2016, 03:22:27 PM »
It's getting hard to pass up on really good deals, like low bids.  :bhead

Colt 1908 .25 ACP Vest Pocket pistol. Made in 1919.

I won't get this one for about two weeks as it was a Rock Island Live Auction (online)

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #25 on: May 03, 2016, 12:15:21 PM »
I have a little Beretta 25 I used to carry when riding my mountain bike. Little flip up barrel.

At 10 feet you are lucky to hit what you aim at.
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

Offline Gman

• Gold Member
« Reply #26 on: May 03, 2016, 12:52:32 PM »
Shuffler, my first hand gun was a tip up barrel Beretta .22.  It was "ok" for accuracy out to about 7 yards.  Great little pistols, the 21A Bobcats. 

Great pics Ripsnort.  What model is that 1911 Commander?

Offline BuckShot

• Silver Member
« Reply #27 on: May 03, 2016, 09:10:35 PM »
It's getting hard to pass up on really good deals, like low bids.  :bhead

Colt 1908 .25 ACP Vest Pocket pistol. Made in 1919.

I won't get this one for about two weeks as it was a Rock Island Live Auction (online)

(Image removed from quote.)

I have one of these vest pocket '08s Rip, from 1911. The way it comes apart is pretty neat. It shoots fireballs! As I'm sure you do, wear eye protection with that baby. I can feel bits hit my face sometimes.

It fits very nicely in a front pocket but I wouldn't keep one chambered. I've read it's susceptible to discharging from a good jarring.
Game handle: HellBuck

Offline Ripsnort

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #28 on: May 04, 2016, 06:18:53 PM »
Shuffler, my first hand gun was a tip up barrel Beretta .22.  It was "ok" for accuracy out to about 7 yards.  Great little pistols, the 21A Bobcats. 

Great pics Ripsnort.  What model is that 1911 Commander?

Colt, Gman.
The only non-Colt is the Para Ord P12. (double stack, 3-3/4 barrel)

Offline Ripsnort

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #29 on: May 04, 2016, 06:20:14 PM »
I have one of these vest pocket '08s Rip, from 1911. The way it comes apart is pretty neat. It shoots fireballs! As I'm sure you do, wear eye protection with that baby. I can feel bits hit my face sometimes.

It fits very nicely in a front pocket but I wouldn't keep one chambered. I've read it's susceptible to discharging from a good jarring.
It's really not a carry for me, certainly not with one in the chamber, agree! But yeah, in a pinch, were I can't conceal anything else IWB, it will be a 'go-to' security approach.