Author Topic: Worried  (Read 2940 times)

Offline ONTOS

• Silver Member
Re: Worried
« Reply #15 on: April 21, 2016, 05:03:52 PM »
Which came first, the reptile or the egg ?

Offline save

• Gold Member
« Reply #16 on: April 21, 2016, 05:12:09 PM »
It's mainly those who using older laptops that are in need for more expensive upgrades.
Older laptop's do not have the Gpu's to handle more graphics.
My ammo last for 6 Lancasters, or one Yak3.
"And the Yak 3 ,aka the "flying Yamato"..."
-Caldera

Offline Vulcan

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #17 on: April 21, 2016, 05:32:04 PM »
If the beta is about to be ported to DX11, that is the swan song for any XP users still playing AH2.xx. It also means a new minimum graphics card requirement. I suspect all together the minimum PC will look something like the following.

MS stopped supporting XP 2 years ago. It's a 14 year old O/S. It is time to let it go and move on.

Offline GrandpaChaps

• Copper Member
« Reply #18 on: April 21, 2016, 07:25:20 PM »
Let not your hearts be troubled.....

as several have stated or referenced..... through the years we've had a few people say their computer won't work or other such things....  but, AH continues to live and grow.  AH, in my opinion (as unimportant to many that will be) and as humble as that will be, there is no other combat game on the internet even approaching what AH gives us.  You may say "such and such has better graphics" or "such and such has better short term missions" or blah. blah blah blah.

Over-all, I have yet to see ANY multi player game on the internet approach the level and (sorry I'm making up a word here) interactivity that AH gives you.  We have great graphics, we have great play, we have great squad involvement, we have great participation, we have great long term mission and self achievement (ok, I'll cough on that one) potential......

As an all around multi player combat game, you can't beat Aces High yet! 

No, I'm not receiving anything for this commentary, although it wouldn't hurt an old man like me...

Do not be worried.... there is no reason to be worried...
 :rock
Uncle Fred

Offline Bizman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #19 on: April 22, 2016, 12:43:48 AM »
MS stopped supporting XP 2 years ago. It's a 14 year old O/S. It is time to let it go and move on.

Getting rid of Win98 raised similar discussion, but because it was a product of the previous millennium it was somewhat easier to accept.
Quote from: BaldEagl, applies to myself, too
I've got an older system by today's standards that still runs the game well by my standards.

Kotisivuni

Offline nrshida

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #20 on: April 22, 2016, 02:10:28 AM »
It's mainly those who using older laptops that are in need for more expensive upgrades.
Older laptop's do not have the Gpu's to handle more graphics.

This is my problem exactly. Not a question of a new graphics card but a whole new computer, monitor, keyboard, the lot. I'm finishing my degree I won't have the budget for that until next summer at least. I wouldn't campaign for AHIII not to go forward of course, I think it looks great and hope it will bring the number of players up. It's just in my case as an example that's why I'll be forced to leave.

« Last Edit: April 22, 2016, 02:12:30 AM by nrshida »
Happy Friday Pipz!
-=Army of Muppets=-
"Get stuffed Skyyr, you freak" - Zack1234

Offline Condor

• Nickel Member
« Reply #21 on: April 22, 2016, 09:49:22 AM »
Some players, it is the time investment in the download of a 1.xx Gbyte file that is keeping them from testing their current PC configuration in the beta.

If the beta is about to be ported to DX11, that is the swan song for any XP users still playing AH2.xx. It also means a new minimum graphics card requirement. I suspect all together the minimum PC will look something like the following.

CPU - Core Duo or equivalent.
RAM - 8G
GPU - Geforce 500 series or AMD 5000 series.

Both graphics card series support DX11 but, the cards from those series may still have players considering other options if the FPS is below 40-50.

This may work better without my question in the quote field.

How do we determine if our present cards support DX11? I have a Radeon HD 6950 which cannot handle AH3 at default settings (FPS 25-35) but does OK if I dial the settings back. Will DX 11 force me to go shopping?
Balrog in game. Some day my performance may justify the name. LOL

Offline Chalenge

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #22 on: April 22, 2016, 09:50:45 AM »
If you go to the AMD site for that card it specifies that it provides full DX 11 support.

http://www.amd.com/en-us/products/graphics/desktop/6000/6950#
If you like the Sick Puppy Custom Sound Pack the please consider contributing for future updates by sending a months dues to Hitech Creations for account "Chalenge." Every little bit helps.

Offline Bizman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #23 on: April 22, 2016, 10:00:20 AM »
How do we determine if our present cards support DX11? I have a Radeon HD 6950 which cannot handle AH3 at default settings (FPS 25-35) but does OK if I dial the settings back. Will DX 11 force me to go shopping?
As Chalenge said. Or you can do a google search for Radeon HD 6950, choose the result that says http://amd.com in the address line which will take you to the AMD site of your card. Choose the Specs tab. Under the "Graphics" title you'll find the answer which reads "Full DirectX® 11 support".

For Nvidia GeForce users, google for your card name (like gtx 660), choose the site that says http://geforce.com, select features and you should find the answer.
Quote from: BaldEagl, applies to myself, too
I've got an older system by today's standards that still runs the game well by my standards.

Kotisivuni

Offline Stang

• Platinum Member
« Reply #24 on: April 22, 2016, 10:06:47 AM »
If you want to play and have an old system you'll upgrade. If not... You won't.

Offline Condor

• Nickel Member
« Reply #25 on: April 22, 2016, 10:14:38 AM »
If you want to play and have an old system you'll upgrade. If not... You won't.

The reality is there are some who can't afford an upgrade. I can but I know several cannot.

Offline Condor

• Nickel Member
« Reply #26 on: April 22, 2016, 10:20:29 AM »
If you go to the AMD site for that card it specifies that it provides full DX 11 support.

http://www.amd.com/en-us/products/graphics/desktop/6000/6950#

Thanks.It does say " Full support for DirectX® 11 and scalable geometry processing". Need to confess I'm a little embarrassed that I didn't search before asking but I was thinking DX11 was something new and wouldn't be mentioned in the specs for an old card.

Offline Chalenge

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #27 on: April 22, 2016, 10:33:36 AM »
I believe the "latest and greatest" is DX 12, which is broken ironically.
If you like the Sick Puppy Custom Sound Pack the please consider contributing for future updates by sending a months dues to Hitech Creations for account "Chalenge." Every little bit helps.

Online HamrDown

• Copper Member
« Reply #28 on: April 22, 2016, 10:49:59 AM »
I'm curious about where you took that date. You are probably aware that HiTech is developing AH3 with a computer whose motherboard chipset dates from 2007, processor from early 2008 and video card from 2012, neither of which have been the flagships of their era? I don't believe he's going to leave...

I share your opinion about craigslist and such, there's a lot of those who could beef up their current computer to that level by making a nominal investment.

I picked that year because it was the year I upgraded my PC, then I did again in 2013 and this year I upgraded the Video Card.
As games are developed utilizing modern day graphics engines, your PC needs to have best graphics rendering. AH2 was reliant on CPU and less on GPU, and in AH3, it is more reliant on GPU than CPU.

<S>
HamrDown

Offline Brooke

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://www.electraforge.com/brooke/
« Reply #29 on: April 23, 2016, 11:53:11 PM »
I have a Dell computer that is over a year old and cost about $500 new (an i5-2400 CPU) and a GeForce GTX 750 Ti (which is currently about a $130 graphics card).

That is *not* a high-end system.  It is a low-end system.

Yet I get about 60 fps in the game with default settings when I'm up in the air shooting at the circling drones.

I get less than 60 fps flying low over a town.

However, if I set the environment slider to zero, I'm at about 60 fps everywhere.

If my system gets this sort of performance, I would think that anything other than a really old clunker will do just fine.