Author Topic: towns and bases shimmering?  (Read 751 times)

Offline WEZEL

• Silver Member
towns and bases shimmering?
« on: May 01, 2016, 11:10:40 AM »
Howdy, towns and bases seem to shimmer/flicker when flying, not a big deal but how can I get it to stop? Frame rates a solid 60 with everything on, still playing with the settings for the game and my vid card.

Offline bustr

• Plutonium Member
Re: towns and bases shimmering?
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2016, 03:45:56 PM »
When I enabled DSR for my GTX 760 it just about eliminated all of that. On or two trees at the periphery of the area trees render as full trees. Disabling post processing in the graphics will do it. Or try just disabling AA under post processing. Sometimes it's related to your FoV choice and\or your texture choice. 1024, 2048, 4096.

I found with my previous graphics card HD6770 1G, reducing the texture mode to 1024 almost eliminated it. That was back in the alphas and I've seen increased improvements to the graphics by Hitech that have about 100% eliminated it with my GTX 760 in 4096 mode at the defaults.

I have no clue what graphics card you are using.
bustr - POTW 1st Wing

This is like the old joke that voters are harsher to their beer brewer if he has an outage, than their politicians after raising their taxes. Death and taxes are certain but, fun and sex is only now.

Offline Chalenge

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2016, 04:42:07 PM »
Yeah, you could check out the video I posted on DSR (VSR for AMD). The flying part of the video after 13:00 demonstrates that the shimmering trees can look like leaves in the breeze, but there is still some of it in the far distance at some zoom levels.
If you like the Sick Puppy Custom Sound Pack the please consider contributing for future updates by sending a months dues to Hitech Creations for account "Chalenge." Every little bit helps.

Offline Chilli

• Platinum Member
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2016, 06:44:41 PM »
I also see it diminish with the decrease in ground details (using slider).

Offline bustr

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2016, 08:00:45 PM »
I think Hitech is not anywhere near the end of tweeking for the default graphics state, if we have so many different ways to solve your problem with different graphics cards.
bustr - POTW 1st Wing

This is like the old joke that voters are harsher to their beer brewer if he has an outage, than their politicians after raising their taxes. Death and taxes are certain but, fun and sex is only now.

Offline WEZEL

• Silver Member
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2016, 09:05:10 PM »

I have no clue what graphics card you are using.

MSI Radeon R7870, fov is 95 and textures are 2048, only the towns and base do it, like I said not a big deal, just sort of draws my eye to it. I will try playing around in the vid card settings see if I can get it to calm down some.

Offline Zimme83

• Gold Member
« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2016, 09:40:44 PM »
I see the same flickering on both my computers so i doubt that the graphic card or settings is the issue. (One has a GTX 740 and the other GTX 970 and both have the same issue.)
''The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge'' - Stephen Hawking

Offline Chalenge

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2016, 10:32:01 PM »
The point about the DSR (VSR) option is that the Smoothing involved helps to dim the color variation and therefore reduce the shimmering. It's not possible on a GTX 740 though.

http://www.geforce.com/hardware/technology/dsr/supported-gpus

You can see my video on the details of how to make this work here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=svUspPyJ5R8

The discussion is a little long and dry, but yet helpful.
If you like the Sick Puppy Custom Sound Pack the please consider contributing for future updates by sending a months dues to Hitech Creations for account "Chalenge." Every little bit helps.

Offline bustr

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2016, 05:02:15 PM »
Do you mean the redraw on small objects like buildings, especially many close together as your plane moves relative to them? Always wondered if that was normal in games until you could afford a gaming PC that would require you to mortgage your house and hire Skuzzy to support it.
bustr - POTW 1st Wing

Offline WEZEL

• Silver Member
« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2016, 06:18:24 PM »
The point about the DSR (VSR) option is that the Smoothing involved helps to dim the color variation and therefore reduce the shimmering. It's not possible on a GTX 740 though.

http://www.geforce.com/hardware/technology/dsr/supported-gpus

You can see my video on the details of how to make this work here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=svUspPyJ5R8

The discussion is a little long and dry, but yet helpful.

Thanks that explains a lot  :salute

Bustr, it only at high alt say 10k over a base or town when looking at them from a distance, it could just be the re draw of all the buildings at that distance, up close and low they look fine.

Offline Chalenge

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #10 on: May 02, 2016, 06:48:10 PM »
I think the graphic option called anisotropic filtering can only make available a limited amount of processing. When we had the huge cities I could change the range limit by changing the multiplier and the area around my plane that would become clear might shrink or grow depending on the factor I used. As you climb that influence drops rapidly, because there is so much area within visible range. I think that's why you are seeing what you are up high.

Offline bustr

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #11 on: May 03, 2016, 11:07:24 AM »
I just bumped my DSR up to 2.00x and now I can see the tracers as larger bright dots from tanks. I also noticed with aircraft tracers, if you are shooting dead 6 you don't see them unless you pull some yaw. Especially with wing guns, you really don't see tracers shooting dead 6 until they pass convergence or you are yawing or turning.
bustr - POTW 1st Wing