Author Topic: GMan  (Read 5098 times)

Offline Gman

• Gold Member
Re: GMan
« Reply #15 on: May 04, 2016, 07:30:07 PM »
RTR, I have a feeling your company and other helo outfits, fixed wing guys from all over too, are going to play a very important role in the coming days.  Like you said, many are in camps, essentially ordered to hold in place right now, cut off from..well everything by the fire.  Not sure how much food, water, and supplies they stock at the mines, but I do know that several have airstrips, and all have helo landing pads or zones prepped for that.  Depending on what the fire does, resupply could be one of the most vital missions up there. 

I don't use Facebook much anymore, but flipping it on today, with the hundreds of Ft Mac people I still have on mine...I've never seen anything like this, ever.  Pretty heartbreaking, as if times weren't bad enough, now so many of my friends have lost it all, with little to no hope of being able to get it back up there anytime soon. 

Offline RTR

• Gold Member
« Reply #16 on: May 04, 2016, 07:49:50 PM »
Yep, we like to have a good busy summer, but there is no good in this.

Busy, but not good.

Lots of people need lots of help.

RTR

The Damned

Offline MiloMorai

• Platinum Member
« Reply #17 on: May 04, 2016, 09:32:29 PM »

Offline Ripsnort

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #18 on: May 04, 2016, 09:43:29 PM »
Entire city was evacuated;
Live stream.
http://globalnews.ca/news/2677885/mayor-issues-warnings-as-fire-situation-in-fort-mcmurray-intensifies/
Just a temperature map I saved yesterday afternoon, was warmer in Fort MacMurray  Alberta than Mexico at 56 degrees north latitude .global warming side effect, messed up weather.
(Image removed from quote.)

Good lord, he's drank the Kool aid. "PLEASE TAX ME MORE!!!"

Offline Ripsnort

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #19 on: May 04, 2016, 09:45:10 PM »
Prayers to our Canuckistan brethern!
Good to see your text RTR!

Offline Chalenge

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #20 on: May 04, 2016, 11:13:03 PM »
Ah, now that I see where it started I suspect a meth lab.
If you like the Sick Puppy Custom Sound Pack the please consider contributing for future updates by sending a months dues to Hitech Creations for account "Chalenge." Every little bit helps.

Offline Masherbrum

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #21 on: May 05, 2016, 12:11:40 AM »
This is simply something that I refuse to joke about.   The amount of people to try and move is still unfathomable to me.   
-=Most Wanted=-

FSO Squad 412th FNVG
http://worldfamousfridaynighters.com/
Co-Founder of DFC

Offline Chalenge

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #22 on: May 05, 2016, 01:11:18 AM »
I'm not joking. All it takes is one irresponsible, inconsiderate person and boom, forest fire. I'm sure the fire department will investigate and determine the cause in the end, but there it is starting right next to a trailer park. Not conclusive evidence by any means, but one strong possibility to be certain.
If you like the Sick Puppy Custom Sound Pack the please consider contributing for future updates by sending a months dues to Hitech Creations for account "Chalenge." Every little bit helps.

Offline Karnak

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #23 on: May 05, 2016, 02:38:41 AM »
Good lord, he's drank the Kool aid. "PLEASE TAX ME MORE!!!"
Ah, the bliss of the willfully ignorant....
Petals floating by,
      Drift through my woman's hand,
             As she remembers me-

Offline MiloMorai

• Platinum Member
« Reply #24 on: May 05, 2016, 05:32:14 AM »
I'm not joking. All it takes is one irresponsible, inconsiderate person and boom, forest fire. I'm sure the fire department will investigate and determine the cause in the end, but there it is starting right next to a trailer park. Not conclusive evidence by any means, but one strong possibility to be certain.

Those aren't/weren't your American white trash trailer parks.

Offline puller

• Gold Member
« Reply #25 on: May 05, 2016, 08:25:29 AM »
Those aren't/weren't your American white trash trailer parks.

:rofl :rofl :rofl

So your trying to tell me there are no meth labs in Canada... :O

Or are you trying to tell me that rich, well to do people in Canada live in trailer parks...

Or are you saying that those trailer parks are for the many people that work in the oil business in that area and don't do dope while they are away from home living in a trailer park...
"The road to Hell is paved with good intentions."
CO   Anti-Horde

Offline bortas1

• Silver Member
fire in canada
« Reply #26 on: May 05, 2016, 10:41:55 AM »
 :salute any of our ah brothers in that fire in Canada ? i hope not :salute :cheers:

Offline Ripsnort

• Radioactive Member

Offline Gman

• Gold Member
« Reply #28 on: May 05, 2016, 11:32:53 AM »
Just an FYI, but the average price of the trailers in Ft Mac is around 600,000$, at least it was when I left.  Our house there was 2300sq ft in a nice area but not the best, and it sold for 1.1 million.  The largest trailer park in the world (2 of them) are in Ft Mac.  Not much meth scene in Ft Mac, cocaine is another matter.  We rented our basement to an RCMP officer when we were there (they don't get paid much, and the cost of living/housing is more than any new officer posted there can afford), and he was on the drug unit.  Cocaine is a huge problem there, oxy and fentanyl now too, but meth isn't a big issue..yet.  Ft Mac is the richest city in N.A., it isn't even up for debate, people with $ tend towards cocaine over meth, every thing on drug use I've ever read agrees with that.  Not that there aren't poor people there, it's just that the trends that have meth take over don't really exist there.

There is ample info out there on potential reasons the fire started, and why it is as bad as it is.  In the city homes were in the fire that was burning at 1000 degrees C.  Imgainge that, 1800 degrees F.  Insane, no wonder everything is just gone like it vaporized.  Not a lot of moisture on or in the ground up there this year, and it's unseasonably hot right now, and windy too.  There is a slim glimmer of hope, a cold front MAY be coming tomorrow, but with that brings lighting up there, a lot of it, which with the ground the way it is can almost be worse and start more fires. 

Offline Mister Fork

• AvA Staff Member
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #29 on: May 05, 2016, 12:30:36 PM »
...and the first person who squawks "this is because of Global Warming" I'm going to smack them.  Wildfires are a natural occurrence in Canada, especially up north and in Alberta.

El Nino has caused a large dryspell this winter in Alberta.  Just like it did back in 1999 - heck I was golfing up to December that year.  Hence why its so dry up here with unusually warm temperatures, no different than the last one, and the one before that.

I work at Suncor which is a majority owner of Syncrude and we have the largest oil extraction facility up at Fort Mac.  As Gman said, with no workers able to drive to the facilities, it's an issue for production for a hefty portion of oil in North America. 

Some more images.

« Last Edit: May 05, 2016, 12:34:01 PM by Mister Fork »
"Games are meant to be fun and fair but fighting a war is neither." - HiTech