Author Topic: GMan  (Read 5097 times)

Offline Masherbrum

• Radioactive Member
GMan
« on: May 04, 2016, 09:31:00 AM »
I hope all is well as I have just read about the wildfires and wish you the best.   Stay safe.
-=Most Wanted=-

FSO Squad 412th FNVG
http://worldfamousfridaynighters.com/
Co-Founder of DFC

Offline GScholz

• Plutonium Member
Re: GMan
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2016, 10:23:41 AM »
Saw it on the news. A terrible tragedy. A whole town consumed by the flames.
"With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censored, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably."

Offline ghi

• Gold Member
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2016, 10:33:16 AM »
Entire city was evacuated;
Live stream.
http://globalnews.ca/news/2677885/mayor-issues-warnings-as-fire-situation-in-fort-mcmurray-intensifies/
Just a temperature map I saved yesterday afternoon, was warmer in Fort MacMurray  Alberta than Mexico at 56 degrees north latitude .global warming side effect, messed up weather.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2016, 10:39:13 AM by ghi »

Offline Mister Fork

• AvA Staff Member
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2016, 01:33:52 PM »
Yeah, it's a bucket of crap we're being forced to swallow up here.

Some recent images:

"Games are meant to be fun and fair but fighting a war is neither." - HiTech

Offline Masherbrum

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2016, 02:28:03 PM »
Prayers sent.   That is wicked.
-=Most Wanted=-

FSO Squad 412th FNVG
Co-Founder of DFC

Offline Gman

• Gold Member
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2016, 03:14:23 PM »
Luckily I don't live in Ft Mac any longer, but many friends and some family do.  They are all evac'd now, except some that are in L/E and one that is a firefighter at Suncor, whose fire dept (all the mine operations have HUGE fire departments of their own with the most advanced stuff out there) have been stood to for emergency deployments.

This is a huge deal, for Canada and America too.  The USA gets 33%, some say up to nearly 45 or even 50% of its imported oil, right from Ft Mcmurrray.  Also, the US defense posture has a majority of its oil reserves counted in Ft Mac.  Both of the largest mines, Suncor and Syncrude have suspended operations due to, well, no people there to work.  That means today and going forward, no oil being produced, which will soon have a trickle, or pour down rather, effect on US oil imports.  Canada gives the USA a HUGE, HUGE discount on oil, even with the depressed prices, and before that too, from current market values.  So, not only will the import shortfall be bad for the USA, but the replacement oil will be much more expensive.  Obviously this will hammer the Canadian economy too, in a time where Alberta has had 100s of thousands of layoffs, bankruptcies, and so on, from an already terrible depression due to the price of oil.

Also, the wind right now has been in an odd direction.  If it switches to west ---> east as per normal, the fire chief on the scene has said the remainder of the town not burnt, will burn, without question.  We'll know today or tomorrow likely if Ft Mac will be completely destroyed.  As it stands, Beacon Hill, Abasand, and other areas that house the tech sector of the town, the beating heart with all the mech shops, stores, warehouses, tooling, infrastructure, and so on...are gone. 

Disaster doesn't cover it right now.  The home I owned there is gone, as is the entire block, nothing left but the water piping sticking up in many places.

twitter.com/firefighters1st/status/727876626269134849

This entire area was made up of 800 to 1.2 mil dollar homes.  Adios.

twitter.com/RyanJeffriesWFG

Ft Mac is/was the richest city in N.A.  Hands down, and not just IMO.  Harley Davidson for example has said it has more bikes per capita by a huge margin than anywhere else in the world there.  And so on.  Last 2 years it's been hit hard by commodities prices worldwide, but even still Canada gets a huge share of its income in trade from the oil produced there.  The effect of losing it won't even be understood for a while, but it's going to be catastrophic at worst, and serious at best for this country.

This is going to have some pretty serious repercussions for all of us, Candians and Americans both.

Thanks for your thoughts about the people here, but this ain't over, and won't be for a long time, we're all going to take a hit from this.  Big time.

Nearly 100,000 Canadians have been displaced from this, and it's only going to go worse before it improves.  We're taking in some friends and family, we almost sold our 5th wheel and RV this week, turned down 2 offers.  Maybe that happened for a reason, as now we can put up another 8 people with both of them, they are 8 hours away but on their way.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2016, 03:28:20 PM by Gman »

Offline RTR

• Gold Member
« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2016, 03:57:25 PM »
I am pretty familiar with whats happening in Ft Mac, we have (actually had) helicopter crews there. The whole airspace is basically shut down right now. As of two hours ago we pulled our helicopters south, along with most other fire fighting resources due to rapid advancement of the fire

We were based out of the airport and it's looking like the fire may roll through there. You know it's bad when aerial fire fighting resources are pulled.

So far 88,000 people have been, or are in the process of being evacuated. Thousands of others are in surrounding oil field camps and are safe at the moment, however food and water are going to be a pressing issue.

Our crews are safe as well as all other air crews I know about, but it's going to get worse before it gets better. Looking like a break in the weather tomorrow, but hot and dry by the weekend again.

There isn't going to be much left there in a couple of days. Entire neighborhoods are gone, downtown is burning, the airport is under severe threat. The cost of this fire is going to be in the billions, but with a little luck no lives lost.

Best we can do at the moment is keep everyone safe, sheltered and fed.

RTR

The Damned

Offline Gman

• Gold Member
« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2016, 04:01:28 PM »
I was just wondering about you RTR.  Keep safe, and good luck.

Offline Masherbrum

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2016, 04:08:55 PM »
 :(
-=Most Wanted=-

FSO Squad 412th FNVG
Co-Founder of DFC

Offline RTR

• Gold Member
« Reply #9 on: May 04, 2016, 04:22:35 PM »
I was just wondering about you RTR.  Keep safe, and good luck.

Thanks Gman, no worries there. I don't fly for hire anymore and I rarely twist wrenches either now.

They gave me a new office between the bathroom and furnace and keep me locked up out of the public eye.  ;)

My crews are at the pointy end, but we keep a close eye on them and keep them safe.

cheers,
RTR
The Damned

Offline Chalenge

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #10 on: May 04, 2016, 04:36:45 PM »
Arson? Sabotage?
If you like the Sick Puppy Custom Sound Pack the please consider contributing for future updates by sending a months dues to Hitech Creations for account "Chalenge." Every little bit helps.

Offline RTR

• Gold Member
« Reply #11 on: May 04, 2016, 05:10:40 PM »
unknown, however we typically get wildfires every year. This year is particularly dry and spring came very early so all it takes is an ignition source. Lightening starts a lot of fires.

RTR
The Damned

Offline morfiend

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #12 on: May 04, 2016, 05:10:55 PM »
Arson? Sabotage?

No just a simple forest fire that got outta hand do to unusually high temps,tinder dry forest and a lightening storm!

Keep your guys safe RTR!!!

:salute

Offline ghi

• Gold Member
« Reply #13 on: May 04, 2016, 05:23:22 PM »
I am pretty familiar with whats happening in Ft Mac, we have (actually had) helicopter crews there. The whole airspace is basically shut down right now. As of two hours ago we pulled our helicopters south, along with most other fire fighting resources due to rapid advancement of the fire

We were based out of the airport and it's looking like the fire may roll through there. You know it's bad when aerial fire fighting resources are pulled.

So far 88,000 people have been, or are in the process of being evacuated. Thousands of others are in surrounding oil field camps and are safe at the moment, however food and water are going to be a pressing issue.

Our crews are safe as well as all other air crews I know about, but it's going to get worse before it gets better. Looking like a break in the weather tomorrow, but hot and dry by the weekend again.

There isn't going to be much left there in a couple of days. Entire neighborhoods are gone, downtown is burning, the airport is under severe threat. The cost of this fire is going to be in the billions, but with a little luck no lives lost.

Best we can do at the moment is keep everyone safe, sheltered and fed.

RTR
I found this Webcam from airport, you are right the fire is getting close. I see a couple of helicopters on the left side in "3 hours ago image" and missing in fresh frames. Still lots of small planes along the runway, maybe the owners left town already.

http://m.webcams.travel/fullscreen/1349193322-Weather-Fort-McMurray-Airport-Canada%2C-Alberta%3A-Fort-McMurray-Airport-Southeast-View-Fort-McMurray?hl=en

Traffic camera main hwy63 https://www.amaroadreports.ca/cameras/ft-mcmurray
« Last Edit: May 04, 2016, 06:16:32 PM by ghi »

Offline RTR

• Gold Member
« Reply #14 on: May 04, 2016, 06:28:41 PM »
From that set of pictures if you scroll down to the second pic you see two red and white AS350 Helicopters on the ramp. Those are ours.

They are based by Marianna lake now south of the city, 100K or so.

Also, the brown building you see behind the white quonset is our base in FT McMurray The building is owned by another company and we lease a section for hangar space. We have 6 Bases in Alberta. Ft. Mac is the only one we don't own outright.

RTR

The Damned