Author Topic: Windows 10 upgrade?  (Read 4272 times)

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
      • HiTech Creations Home Page
Re: Windows 10 upgrade?
« Reply #15 on: May 16, 2016, 06:06:02 AM »
If you are doing a fresh install of Windows 7, expect the updates to take up to 6 hours before they start coming down.  According to Microsoft, the reason for the long delay has to do with the volume of updates Windows 7 needs.

Some speculate they are just trying to make it very inconvenient to use Windows 7 in an effort to coerce people to migrate to Windows 10.
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese
support@hitechcreations.com

Offline guncrasher

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #16 on: May 16, 2016, 09:04:04 AM »
I have let my win7 updates run overnight.  no updates yet.  not a single one.  they're being dicks.  I would rather run with no updates than switch to win10.  I only look at the ah bb and get email from a few people.  aside from paying all my bills online.  as for the emails, I read and answer on my phone just in case anyway.

semp
you dont want me to ho, dont point your plane at me.

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
« Reply #17 on: May 16, 2016, 10:03:23 AM »
I have seen the time range from a few hours to 16 hours before the updates would come down.
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese

Offline Brooke

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://www.electraforge.com/brooke/
« Reply #18 on: May 16, 2016, 11:49:49 AM »
I have seen the time range from a few hours to 16 hours before the updates would come down.

Yeah -- sometimes it can get ridiculously long and seem like the process is hung.  Very crappy sometimes.

Offline Bizman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #19 on: May 16, 2016, 12:18:04 PM »
My brother called me last night having the same issue with his laptop but not his desktop.  I suggested he do a factory restore to Vista then run his Win 7 upgrade since it's been years since he did a fresh install.  I expect I might hear how it went tonight.

Why cripple the computer with Vista if he has a legit Win7 upgrade media? http://winsupersite.com/article/windows-7/clean-install-windows-7-with-upgrade-media-128512

One more hint: During the last moments of the installation there's a question asking about how to install updates. Change that to "critical only" both to reduce the amount of updates and to reduce the risk of getting the Win10 related issues.
Quote from: BaldEagl, applies to myself, too
I've got an older system by today's standards that still runs the game well by my standards.

Kotisivuni

Offline Chalenge

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #20 on: May 16, 2016, 05:16:29 PM »

I'm not trying to compete for the longest wait, but I have had a computer wait days before completing the Windows 7 update. I have always wanted to roll up those updates and repack the cab files, but there is always want you want to get done and then what you do.
If you like the Sick Puppy Custom Sound Pack the please consider contributing for future updates by sending a months dues to Hitech Creations for account "Chalenge." Every little bit helps.

Offline mechanic

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #21 on: May 16, 2016, 05:56:36 PM »
My PC just tried to upgrade to windows 10 without me clicking ok. I came back home after a few hours away and the damn thing was 49% converted to windows 10.

I had to pull the plug out then reboot to stop it.

Then it took 30 mins to 'restore my previous version of windows'

I'm now searching for a reliable way I can permanently delete the windows 10 malware that Microsoft has put on my pc? It's really annoying me and now it even seems that if I leave my pc on for a while unattended it's going to win10ape me without my consent.

To be honest I was happy with XP, but win 7 is what I intend to stick with now forever.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2016, 06:01:22 PM by mechanic »
And I don't know much, but I do know this. With a golden heart comes a rebel fist.

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
« Reply #22 on: May 17, 2016, 05:42:08 AM »
I'm not trying to compete for the longest wait, but I have had a computer wait days before completing the Windows 7 update. I have always wanted to roll up those updates and repack the cab files, but there is always want you want to get done and then what you do.

I have built a new install disk with all the updates in it.  It saves an enormous amount of time, particularly when it is all installed on a USB flash drive.

The only problem is the installer is getting too big.  Having to resort to removing some esoteric features, in order to get it all to fit.
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese

Offline Bizman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #23 on: May 17, 2016, 08:21:23 AM »
Why build a disk? I suppose you have enough hard disk space for an ISO file to be put on a bootable USB stick.
I've got an older system by today's standards that still runs the game well by my standards.

Kotisivuni

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
« Reply #24 on: May 17, 2016, 08:55:14 AM »
Why build a disk? I suppose you have enough hard disk space for an ISO file to be put on a bootable USB stick.

I built a disk, including all the updates, so I could put it on a USB flash drive and a DVD in case the computer Windows 7 was intended for would not boot from a USB flash drive.
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese

Offline Bizman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #25 on: May 17, 2016, 11:19:39 AM »
Ah, didn't know such Win7 compatible computers still exist. Second lesson learned as of today.

Speaking of Windows 10, today I worked on a natively 10 Acer desktop which I had "installed" a couple of weeks ago, making all the tweaks I knew not to let Microsoft know every move the owner makes. Long story short, the owner had noticed there had been no updates since day one, the four pending updates hanging at 58% day after day. So I ran the DISM command to repair Windows Update, only to get an generic error code meaning the date/time might not be right - which it of course was. Having noticed one of the updates was a new version of Ten, I upgraded the existing Windows with the USB stick I fortunately had with me. After a few of hours of small talk we were back in business. Huzzah!

Kotisivuni

Offline FBScud

• Copper Member
« Reply #26 on: May 18, 2016, 12:38:20 PM »
Yesterday, I inexplicably found my PC "upgrading" to Windows 10 without me having done anything to request it.  Quite the opposite, I have been meticulous in declining and taking no action which would cause it to do so.  I immediately found that the Net Defender anti virus caused constant disc reads which created a huge lag and substantial drops in FRs in both AH2 and the Beta.  Luckily, I went to settings, recovery and there was the option to revert to Windows 7.  It said the option would only be available for a month.  I immediately reverted to 7 and all my programs, etc., seem to be fine.  I have a minor glitch in our squad's voice program but I suspect that will be readily remedied. :banana: :banana:

Offline save

• Gold Member
« Reply #27 on: May 18, 2016, 06:10:40 PM »
from the Internet :

50 Nerds of Grey ‏@50NerdsofGrey 7 sep. 2015

'I've been a very bad girl,' she said, biting her lip. 'I need to be punished.'
'Very well,' he said and installed Windows 10 on her laptop.
 :rofl
My ammo last for 6 Lancasters, or one Yak3.
"And the Yak 3 ,aka the "flying Yamato"..."
-Caldera

Offline Randy1

• Platinum Member
« Reply #28 on: May 19, 2016, 12:37:03 PM »
I installed W10 today.  Went very smooth.  No known issues including home network.  This was W7 to W10.  Several things I like about W10.  Nothing I have found so far is a deal breaker.

During the install I did turnoff several of the "Let Microsoft help by sending them information" things using the custom settings.

Things like firefox, Cumulus, and even sticky notes were unaffected.  All files are where they belong.

Right now it is a  :aok.