Author Topic: Windows 10 upgrade?  (Read 4315 times)

Offline mike8318

• Copper Member
Windows 10 upgrade?
« on: May 08, 2016, 03:22:05 PM »
Anybody done this yet? Having performance issues over the last few months and thought going to 10 may help.
Don't try and outweird me.I get stranger things than you free in my breakfast cereal!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3dKgjtBxyis&feature=youtu.be

Offline Bizman

• Plutonium Member
Re: Windows 10 upgrade?
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2016, 01:44:35 AM »
Some have, read both this and the Hardware and Software sections for the last half a year. You can also use the advanced search for those boards only: http://bbs.hitechcreations.com/smf/index.php?action=search2;params=eJwtzcEKgzAMxvFXkV28eLCMgW9TYhLUUZuRduuEPrypePz_8kGAfhCRqfbV1Ufd4Q8Lt3iNlrNeh-fgJqu0SvEo-ydwbptG3_nNmL3EcNwimj1takWc8BYr5cDXr0YMiqth2SJJSZ0bT-qKNF4.

Shortly put, if you have issues you should sort them out first. Upgrading Windows will not magically fix the main issues, especially not hardware related ones.

Post a DXDIAG output and some detailed description about the issues and people here will help you.
Quote from: BaldEagl, applies to myself, too
I've got an older system by today's standards that still runs the game well by my standards.

Kotisivuni

Offline Condor

• Nickel Member
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2016, 12:30:26 PM »
There are a lot of horror stories about this upgrade. I have friends who did it successfully and others who ended up with serious problems. I successfully upgraded an 8.1 desktop and have had no issues but it was only after doing a lot of homework.

First you need to make sure your computer is prepared. As Bizman pointed out, you don't want to proceed without taking care of existing issues.  Here is a link with good info. on how to prepare.
http://www.howtogeek.com/225241/update-to-windows-10-headache-free-with-a-pre-upgrade-checklist/
Macrium reflect is an excellent free tool for making an image of your hard drive. If your upgrade fails you can just pop in the drive with the image and you will be back where you started. Get it here:
 http://www.macrium.com/reflectfree.aspx
The safest upgrade approach is to not use the upgrade app Microsoft has installed on your computer. Instead download the Windows 10 media creation tool to a USB flash drive and run the upgrade from that. Here is the link. It can also be used for a clean install after the upgrade.
https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10
Be sure to click on “download tool now” and not on “upgrade now”. Also expand and follow the “before you begin” and “using the upgrade tool” instructions. You can do a clean install from the upgrade tool but it’s critical that you first do the upgrade using the tool. If you don’t upgrade first you lose your license and will need to pay for Windows 10.
It’s recommend that you disconnect peripherals including secondary hard drives before doing the upgrade. I disconnected everything except my keyboard, monitor, and mouse.
After the upgrade all my programs /apps and data files appeared to be there but so was some junk I wanted to get rid of. To assure I eliminated any carryover of problems from my 8.1 system I then did a clean install of Windows 10 from the same USB stick. Of course I then had to reinstall all my programs and data files.
Here are a couple more links I read. They mostly apply to problems that you may occur if you don’t go the media creation tool route but they are well worth reading.
http://www.infoworld.com/article/2989972/microsoft-windows/windows-10-installation-problems-and-what-to-do-about-them.html
http://www.gottabemobile.com/2016/01/18/7-windows-10-upgrade-problems-how-to-fix-them/
I’ll admit my approach was rather paranoid but I was aware of some disasters. I like Windows 10 better than 8.1. As for my three windows 7 computers, I plan to stick with what I have.
Good luck with your upgrade. If you prepare properly it should go well.
Balrog in game. Some day my performance may justify the name. LOL

Offline Gman

• Gold Member
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2016, 02:48:57 PM »
I thought Win10 looked ok, had some whizzy looking new things, and gave it a whirl, mostly to try and correct a problem I was going to reformat anyhow to correct, so why not.  Wish I'd just reformatted with Win7.  The word upgrade and windows 10 should never again be uttered in a sentence IMO. 

Some have had little trouble, many have.  I had no trouble.  For 2 months.  Now it's doing all sorts of goofy things, greatly affecting game, especially Aces High.  See here - http://bbs.hitechcreations.com/smf/index.php/topic,379129.0.html

This problem only went away after I deleted the last 3 updates Windows 10 did.  I have updates shut OFF in fact, as much as you can with Win10 anyhow, and it did them anyway. (set to notify for install, but I received NO notifications, and got updates anyway).

Try it if you want - be warned, google the crap out of "turning off spy features of win10" and apply them.  Don't think it's no big deal, as by default, Win10 will share YOUR connection to update OTHER computers around the world, sort of like signing up for a giant Win10 torrent service without ever telling you. It can suck your bandwidth, so if you have a data cap, or worse are on a wireless/portable connection with a small cap, Microgay has decided to eat all that up for you by upgrading their other customers computers.  And that's just to start. 

I was one who listened to the "it's not that bad crowd, people slamming win10 are overreacting, etc".  I wish I hadn't now, and had just reinstalled Win7.  You might want to consider doing the same, but again, I know many haven't had issues, so it's up to you.  I have a very standard and common x79 system specifically for Aces High/CH Setup which I did the Win10 upgrade on, and the mrs's system which is a high, high end box (980sli 5960x) has run Win10 ok so far, but she only plays a couple dumb games like WoW and such, and edits vids for her YT channel, and that's it.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2016, 02:52:43 PM by Gman »

Offline Condor

• Nickel Member
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2016, 04:15:04 PM »
I forgot to mention the tracking features. When you install windows 10 you do have the option of turning off the tracking features but only during install. I don't recall if that was available at the upgrade stage or only when I followed up with the clean install. Since I don't trust Microsoft, however, I also use a freeware program that blocks the tracking.

https://www.safer-networking.org/spybot-anti-beacon/

Gman has me a little worried now. It's only about a month since I installed Windows 10. I don't have it on my gaming computer. I will stick with Windows 7. As I said, I just updated my 8.1 system. I can't imagine 10 being worse.

I think some very knowledgeable player use Windows 10 but I'm guessing they all did clean installs.

Gman, did you just do the upgrade or follow up with a clean install?
Balrog in game. Some day my performance may justify the name. LOL

Offline Gman

• Gold Member
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2016, 04:49:14 PM »
Just did the upgrade on Win7 - it worked fine for quite a while, then started acting strangely, and obviously it was a Windows caused issue if deleting their updates made it go away (or at least strongly involved). 

Again, many haven't had problems, and the reality is for DX12 games and such as we go forward, Win10 won't really be an option.  I'm going to perhaps try a complete reformat and try it again on my x79 system, as when the 1080/BroadE x99 come out in the next few weeks, I'm replacing the x79 system's purpose with that new box (on Win7), so I can mess around with the x79 and see what happens.

Offline FLOOB

• Gold Member
« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2016, 12:51:55 AM »
If you haven't got windows 9 yet I don't recommend getting windows 10.
“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans” - John Steinbeck

Offline BaldEagl

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2016, 08:46:07 PM »
I've had Win 10 on my laptop (upgraded from Win 8.1) and on my gaming desktop (upgrade from Win 7 clean install after building it) and haven't had issues with either.  It's been about 6-7 months on the laptop and 5 mo. on the desktop.  Both are set to auto-update.
I edit a lot of my posts.  Get used to it.

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2016, 09:09:34 PM »

lol
"If Jesus came back as an airplane, he would be a P-38." - WW2 P-38 pilot
Elite Top Aces +1 Mexican Official Squadron Song

Offline Brooke

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://www.electraforge.com/brooke/
« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2016, 01:53:55 AM »

That is excellent advice.  :aok

I'm even waiting until Windows 9 SP1.

Offline Randy1

• Platinum Member
« Reply #10 on: May 13, 2016, 05:24:43 AM »
I was watching I Robot movie last night.  It hit me.

NS-5   W10

A bit eerie.

Offline guncrasher

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #11 on: May 15, 2016, 05:37:02 PM »
I havent been able to install any win 7 updates in 3 weeks.  it just keeps downloading but no percentage.

semp
you dont want me to ho, dont point your plane at me.

Offline BaldEagl

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #12 on: May 15, 2016, 06:53:40 PM »
I havent been able to install any win 7 updates in 3 weeks.  it just keeps downloading but no percentage.

semp

My brother called me last night having the same issue with his laptop but not his desktop.  I suggested he do a factory restore to Vista then run his Win 7 upgrade since it's been years since he did a fresh install.  I expect I might hear how it went tonight.
I edit a lot of my posts.  Get used to it.

Offline Easyscor

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #13 on: May 15, 2016, 07:20:56 PM »
My brother called me last night having the same issue with his laptop but not his desktop.  I suggested he do a factory restore to Vista then run his Win 7 upgrade since it's been years since he did a fresh install.  I expect I might hear how it went tonight.

If he had important data on that machine he needs to move the HD to his desktop machine and save the data.
Easy in-game again.
Since Tour 19 - 2001

Offline Brooke

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://www.electraforge.com/brooke/
« Reply #14 on: May 15, 2016, 07:39:45 PM »

semp

I ran into something like that a while back -- waiting and waiting and waiting for downloading updates to finish.  Turns out, I had to wait about 3-5 hours for it to do its thing.  This wasn't due to a poor internet connection on my part.  That was fine, low ping and high bandwidth.

Try letting it go overnight sometime.  Make sure you have your power settings set to keep the machine, hard disk, etc. on always (not sleep, no HD powerdown) while you do this test.