Author Topic: 10 May 2016 Windows Update  (Read 890 times)

Offline Chalenge

• Plutonium Member
10 May 2016 Windows Update
« on: May 10, 2016, 08:56:45 PM »
Yep, update coming down as of this very moment. Will it brick my PC?

Right in the middle of a video build, too.

Well, the security fixes I like (I think) and I need the .pdf memory leak fixed, but the mobile device fixes?

I'll hold my nose on rebooting this one!
If you like the Sick Puppy Custom Sound Pack the please consider contributing for future updates by sending a months dues to Hitech Creations for account "Chalenge." Every little bit helps.

Offline Chalenge

• Plutonium Member
Re: 10 May 2016 Windows Update
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2016, 09:28:32 PM »
Internet Explorer home page was reset to Bing, rather than Google.
Firefox home page reset to Bing rather than the six tabs I prefer.
Palemoon was left alone (RAH!)

SLI was left alone for the first time on this system (RAH!).

Windows benchmark metric has been removed.
NVidia Audio has been enabled (x3)
LifeCam audio has been enabled (Cortana must have felt left out).
USB 3.0 XHC was updated to 3.28.2016 (I guess that's okay, not sure since it's Microsoft instead of Intel)
Lost the driver for the Wacom Intuos Cintiq
CPU-Z gone (again)
GPU-Z gone (again)

I wonder how many other things I don't know about?
If you like the Sick Puppy Custom Sound Pack the please consider contributing for future updates by sending a months dues to Hitech Creations for account "Chalenge." Every little bit helps.

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
      • HiTech Creations Home Page
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2016, 06:50:47 AM »
Did you see where a gamer was in the middle of a game and Window 10 updated?  His rant was epic.  I had to laugh a bit about that one.

Apparently the updater does not care what you are in the middle of.
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese
support@hitechcreations.com

Offline BaldEagl

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2016, 08:52:01 AM »
My laptop updated last night when I went to shut it down.  No issues this morning.
I edit a lot of my posts.  Get used to it.

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2016, 09:05:26 AM »
My Wife's laptop was bricked by the Windows 10 update/installation.  She sent it back to ASUS to get it fixed.  She did not want to ask me to fix it because I had warned her, repeatedly, about Windows 10.

When I noticed her laptop was missing, she caved and told me what happened.  Apparently it went into the endless booting cycle, repeating over and over.

Laptops are hit and miss, for sure.
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese

Offline Gman

• Gold Member
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2016, 12:28:16 PM »
I'm afraid to boot my AH gaming machine now...

Offline Beefcake

• Gold Member
« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2016, 01:37:05 PM »
This actually leads me to a question that concerns me about something I saw last night on my machine. I use ESET as my anti-virus and they have a little notification when your system is out of date. If you click on it a pop up window opens showing you all the new updates that you can download, however, you still have to goto windoze update in the control panel to do it.

Last night when I looked in ESET's window I noticed that the bottom of the list there was an optional update for windows 10, but when I look in the actual windows update window the update option is not there. This scares because I can't see it and I can't disable it and I feel like Microsuck is trying to do something shady.

Now bare in mind I have followed all of Skuzzy's rules when it comes to Virus 10, I have windows update set to notify when there are new updates but not to download or install anything. I run all the KB numbers though and see if any are the reported Virus 10 updates, I just check everything.

I'm afraid even though I have all the updates turned off that I'm still going to end up with Virus 10 on my computer.
Retired Bomber Dweeb - 71 "Eagle" Squadron RAF

Offline BoilerDown

• Silver Member
« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2016, 05:33:25 PM »
If you're not already on Windows 10 you can just disable automatic updates.  Then disable the Windows Update service itself:

(Win 7): Right-Click Computer > Manage > Expand Services and Applications > Services > Double-Click Windows Update > Startup type: Disabled.

Re-enable it only when you want to run Windows Updates.  Do them manually and don't let any of the bad updates download.  Then you have absolutely no worries.

P.s. You I hear that you can't alter which services are running on Windows 10 (except Enterprise), so you guys are screwed.
Boildown

This is the Captain.  We have a lil' problem with our entry sequence so we may experience some slight turbulence and then... explode.

Boildown is Twitching: http://www.twitch.tv/boildown

Offline BaldEagl

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2016, 09:18:20 PM »
P.s. You I hear that you can't alter which services are running on Windows 10 (except Enterprise), so you guys are screwed.

You heard wrong.
I edit a lot of my posts.  Get used to it.

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
« Reply #9 on: May 12, 2016, 06:30:18 AM »
There are updates you cannot stop from happening.  Microsoft has been doing that since Windows XP.  They are more common in Windows 10 due to the nature of data collection Microsoft is doing now, but those are not classified as "updates".
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese

Offline BoilerDown

• Silver Member
« Reply #10 on: May 12, 2016, 09:28:29 AM »
You heard wrong.

Hmm, ok I googled, and it seems I was wrong.  The trick still works in Windows 10, the downside is just that you can't pick and choose which updates to allow to be installed when allowing windows update server to run:

http://www.thewindowsclub.com/turn-off-windows-update-in-windows-10
Boildown

This is the Captain.  We have a lil' problem with our entry sequence so we may experience some slight turbulence and then... explode.

Boildown is Twitching: http://www.twitch.tv/boildown

Offline Gman

• Gold Member
« Reply #11 on: May 12, 2016, 11:19:33 AM »
SKuzzy beat me to this, but he's 100% correct.  As I said in the other thread, I have had since minute one of Win10 being installed, updated as disabled as you are able with the current settings.  They still snuck at least 3 in on me, one of which disabled the ability to play Aces High, with a 1.5 to 2 second pause somewhere in the network happening like clockwork every 1 minute while online.  Deleting the updates fixed the problem, so draw your own conclusions there (after trying absolutely everything else for an entire day). 

Offline Brooke

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://www.electraforge.com/brooke/
« Reply #12 on: May 13, 2016, 01:52:44 AM »
My favorite is how Windows 10 comes with a free rectal probe with full, yet unobtrusive, reporting back to the mothership.