Author Topic: time zone CM's  (Read 1266 times)

Offline captain1ma

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
      • JG54 website
time zone CM's
« on: May 14, 2016, 09:16:38 AM »
I had a conversation about scenario's and events, with a friend and it made me think about something. why is it that most of the CM's for the arena's are US based. the European guys complain that they have to either make US events, or they don't have much for events at all other then Flossy's events.

so my question is: why are there not more European CM's in the game or more Australian/new Zealanders CM's in the game?

I know I would be happy to have some come into the AVA and get things going in different timezones.

I think its time we get more timezones involved. I wish we could get more of Asia involved too. there wouldn't be enough arena's in the game for people to go to.

just a caffeine induced brain cramp that I thought id put out there. thanks for listening.

Offline Spikes

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
    • Twitch: Twitch Feed
Re: time zone CM's
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2016, 09:23:02 AM »
My guess would be that not many people, if any, apply to be a CM from those time zones.

I think recently we had one but they ended up having personal issues to take care of.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2016, 09:34:27 AM by Spikes »
i7-12700k | Gigabyte Z690 GAMING X | 64GB G.Skill DDR4 | EVGA 1080ti FTW3 | H150i Capellix

FlyKommando.com

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2016, 09:46:16 AM »
so my question is: why are there not more European CM's in the game or more Australian/new Zealanders CM's in the game?

Because EU/AUS/NZ players make up only a small part of the AH community in the first place?
Steam: DrKalv
E:D Snailman

Offline Delirium

• Platinum Member
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2016, 10:17:09 AM »
I hate to say this, but the best way to lure off peak hour players is to keep the game active on off peak hours. It is bad enough during primetime when bases out number players, but off peak hours the bases out number players 10X.

I ask, no, I beg for all large maps to be removed from rotation until our subscriber base rises to a healthy level again.
Delirium
80th "Headhunters"
Retired AH Trainer (but still teach the P38 selectively)

I found an air leak in my inflatable sheep and plugged the hole! Honest!

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2016, 10:23:16 AM »
I ask, no, I beg for all large maps to be removed from rotation until our subscriber base rises to a healthy level again.

Been there, done that...  it didn't work  ;)

Offline captain1ma

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
      • JG54 website
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2016, 11:13:57 AM »
then why not co-ordinated missions to keep people interested. why not some events in the SEA during off peak times. or in the AVA or even in the MA. why not have non-US guys co-ordinate things so that it can keep everyone interested.

why don't Non-US guys try to get into the CM team or the AVA team and run stuff off peak, maybe even with smaller maps?

im just curious why we cant get non-US guys to get more involved and do thing off peak? this isn't a B**** session on map size, but rather a discussion on more participation.

Offline Delirium

• Platinum Member
« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2016, 12:05:54 PM »
this isn't a B**** session on map size, but rather a discussion on more participation.

With all due respect, you need to attract or at least maintain current numbers. Ask Lusche, he is one of thise Euro players and completely agrees!
Delirium
80th "Headhunters"

Offline Zoney

• Platinum Member
« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2016, 12:58:50 PM »
Swoop was a CM player from England and would hold Euro time zone events that I participated in.  We would have to beg and beg just to get people to come fly.  It was held on Sunday's.  Alas, Swoop seems to be taking a break and the possibility of these events are curtailed.
Wag more, bark less.

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2016, 01:08:33 PM »
then why not co-ordinated missions to keep people interested. why not some events in the SEA during off peak times. or in the AVA or even in the MA. why not have non-US guys co-ordinate things so that it can keep everyone interested.

why don't Non-US guys try to get into the CM team or the AVA team and run stuff off peak, maybe even with smaller maps?

im just curious why we cant get non-US guys to get more involved and do thing off peak? this isn't a B**** session on map size, but rather a discussion on more participation.

Again, it's for the most part a numbers issue.

- The majority of players generally has a low interest in special events at all (for various reasons)
- Only a fraction of those players generally interested in events have interest or are capable of doing the job of a CM
- Primetime population used to outnumber Euro prime by like 3-4 to 1, AUS/NZ prime by like 8-10 to 1 (maybe it's even worse by now, can't track population by hour any more)
- AH only has a fraction of the total population it once had.

If you put all this together, it is IMHO rather clear to see why it's so difficult to recruit potential CMs for offpeak hours.

Offline Delirium

• Platinum Member
« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2016, 01:41:03 PM »
- The majority of players generally has a low interest in special events at all (for various reasons).

I have disagree with you on that count. I am of the opinion the players that are left are overall interested in events. However, the MA is the initial lure and draw for new players, not events. Players tend to mature and move on to events but the MA has to keep them interested long enough to mature.  So to build the initial player base the gameplay in the MA has to be top notch.
Delirium
80th "Headhunters"

Offline LCADolby

• Platinum Member
« Reply #10 on: May 14, 2016, 01:46:26 PM »
why are there not more European CM's in the game or more Australian/new Zealanders CM's in the game?
AcesHigh Good ol' boys club.
JG5 "Eismeer"
YouTube+Twitch - 20Dolby10

"BE a man and shoot me in the back" - pez

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 14, 2016, 03:03:18 PM »
I have disagree with you on that count

I just based that on actual participation. Five years ago as well as now, the huge majority of all AH players in any given tour didn't participate in any special event during that tour.
I haven't checked if the participation quote possibly has gone up, but the huge majority still doesn't take part.

However, the MA is the initial lure and draw for new players, not events. Players tend to mature and move on to events but the MA has to keep them interested long enough to mature.  So to build the initial player base the gameplay in the MA has to be top notch.

Absolutely  :old:

Offline Nefarious

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #12 on: May 14, 2016, 03:07:58 PM »
AcesHigh Good ol' boys club.

Send them my way, I'll gladly review the applications and pass them onto HTC.

Last set of CMs recruits we had only two of five stayed on and continued their duties.

Only one of the 5 was European Time zoned.

So I say again... Send me the Euro applications and I will do my best to get them on.

PS... Snide remarks and insults are one of the biggest reasons people don't want to be CMs.
There must also be a flyable computer available for Nefarious to do FSO. So he doesn't keep talking about it for eight and a half hours on Friday night!

Offline Easyscor

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #13 on: May 14, 2016, 03:53:29 PM »
Last set of CMs recruits we had only two of five stayed on and continued their duties.

Only one of the 5 was European Time zoned.

Yep, it doesn't sound like anything has changed, but that's not the CMs fault.
Of each three CM applicants, you were lucky to have one attend and complete training. And of each set of three that completed training, usually two would disappear before their first event. We have the same thing in the AvA. Lots of CM/Staff time and effort wasted.

You Sir, still owe me a PM on a different mater.
Easy in-game again.
Since Tour 19 - 2001

Offline Delirium

• Platinum Member
« Reply #14 on: May 14, 2016, 04:17:32 PM »
Of each three CM applicants, you were lucky to have one attend and complete training.

It sure is a thankless job. People want action, but not scripted events.
People want to win, but they don't want to lose.
People want a command structure, but no one wants to take command.
People want new ideas, but cannot think or donate new ideas (I'm guilty of this one).
People want a balanced plane set, but the more powerful rides fill first.
People want a huge event including bombers and GVs, but no one wants to attend to be a target.
People want great plans in the event, but don't want to be stuck having to follow directions.
Delirium
80th "Headhunters"