Author Topic: Simple way to stop unwanted "upgrade" to Windows 10 behind your back  (Read 2879 times)

Offline Brooke

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://www.electraforge.com/brooke/
Sneaky, unwanted "upgrades" of people's computers to Windows 10 are -- amazingly -- getting even worse.

The latest is a dialog box that will schedule your computer for upgrading even if you click the red "X" box in the upper right.

There is a little application by Gibson Research (a very reputable outfit) called "never10" that will disable upgrading to Windows 10 in a safe manner and allow you to reverse the decision later if you so choose.  It just sets all the settings to disallow the update and deletes the Windows 10 preparatory files that were sneakily downloaded probably without your even knowing it.  If you want to change all the settings back to allowing Windows 10 upgrade, it will do that, too.  It requires one button click to accomplish either choice -- so nice and easy.

Here is where you get it:

https://www.grc.com/never10.htm

At home and at my company, we have previously set things manually to preclude Windows 10, but with increased underhanded activity going on, I decided to run never10 on my home computer, and it found things that I missed doing it manually.  Tomorrow, I am having never10 run on all computers in the company, including our mission-critical computers that run our production equipment.  I might also send out a suggestion to customers to run it on computers that run the equipment they purchased from us.

Offline Chalenge

• Plutonium Member
Steve Gibson! Awesome guy. I've been using his SpinRite for years now.
If you like the Sick Puppy Custom Sound Pack the please consider contributing for future updates by sending a months dues to Hitech Creations for account "Chalenge." Every little bit helps.

Offline Brooke

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
Steve Gibson! Awesome guy. I've been using his SpinRite for years now.

Yeah, I love that guy, too.  He's done some things that have been very useful to me:  Shields Up since back in the earliest days of firewalls, keeping the latest version of TrueCrypt available to the world, as well as informing folks about the true status of that project before the founders were sort of forced out of it, and now never10.  :aok

Offline Bizman

• Plutonium Member
Thanks Brooke!

On my computer it said there's some 6,500 bytes of Win10 data in 8 files & folders. What I found a little distracting is that it didn't tell which and where they are. However, knowing the quality of Gibson's other programs, I felt safe to remove them.
Quote from: BaldEagl, applies to myself, too
I've got an older system by today's standards that still runs the game well by my standards.

Kotisivuni

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
      • HiTech Creations Home Page
I added that to my "Hints and Tips post as well.
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese
support@hitechcreations.com

Offline Drano

• Platinum Member
Cool! I've avoided doing any updates for a while because my almost total lack of PC time lately hasn't allowed me time for doing all the homework needed to pick out the unscrupulous ones. And that's like zapping the borg with your phaser! Won't work long! This oughta help! There hasn't been a single thing I've heard about Win10 that I'd touch with a thirty-nine and a half inch pole. YMMV.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
"Drano"
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

FSO flying with the 412th Friday Night Volunteer Group

Offline darkzking

• Persona Non Grata
  • Nickel Member
raynos32 Leader of the 242nd Sloppy Terminators
https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10/
See Rule #4

Offline Brooke

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
Thanks Brooke!

On my computer it said there's some 6,500 bytes of Win10 data in 8 files & folders. What I found a little distracting is that it didn't tell which and where they are. However, knowing the quality of Gibson's other programs, I felt safe to remove them.

On some of our machines, it was more than 5 GB of stuff and more than 15,000 files.  One machine was more than 20,000 files and 7 GB of stuff.

The program doesn't list them, but in the web page for never10, Gibson says that the files are in a hidden directory created by gwx.exe.

Offline Beefcake

• Gold Member
How safe is this to use?
Retired Bomber Dweeb - 71 "Eagle" Squadron RAF

Offline guncrasher

• Plutonium Member
I had zero files.  been following skuzzy's instructions since day one  :banana: :banana:.

semp
you dont want me to ho, dont point your plane at me.

Offline Brooke

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
Re: Simple way to stop unwanted "upgrade" to Windows 10 behind your back
« Reply #10 on: May 26, 2016, 01:10:06 AM »
How safe is this to use?

Very safe.

Offline AKQwik

• Copper Member
« Reply #11 on: May 26, 2016, 07:39:10 AM »
I used it on two computers, works great and fast.  Now I don't need to watch for the dreaded KB3035583. :aok

Offline terrydew

• Copper Member
« Reply #12 on: May 26, 2016, 10:32:00 AM »
Thank you Brooke. The nag is gone.

Terry

Offline morfiend

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #13 on: May 26, 2016, 11:23:23 AM »
Thx Brooke,

My wife's laptop upgraded on the weekend,I managed to roll it back but I couldnt get rid of the upgrade notice.

The link you provided did the trick and remove an incredible amount of junk that win 10 left behind. Next thing you know they'll want to move the OS to a cloud and you wont be able to use your comp without accessing the clouds.... I think it should be called Gategate........ :devil

again thx!

:salute

Offline Condor

• Nickel Member
« Reply #14 on: May 26, 2016, 03:34:50 PM »
Thanks Brooke :salute

My AH system is windows 7 ultimate and I have never seen the nagware that I've seen on my other win 7 computers so I thought I was safe. I ran this utility and got the message that windows 10 upgrade was enabled on the system. It's not now. So if any of you are not seeing the nagware run this anyway. you may be surprised as I was.
Balrog in game. Some day my performance may justify the name. LOL