Author Topic: Fuel tank management  (Read 665 times)

Offline Max

• Platinum Member
Fuel tank management
« on: May 29, 2016, 02:50:12 PM »
The Shift F command switches tanks, depending on aircraft. The tanks displays in white or yellow text...what's the difference?

Thanks.

Offline Kingpin

• AH Training Corps
  • Silver Member
Re: Fuel tank management
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2016, 03:28:22 PM »
When the tank selected is in white text, it means you are in auto fuel burn mode -- this is the default mode when you launch an aircraft.  In auto fuel burn, it automatically switches between tanks in a default order for that aircraft with that fuel load.

When the tank selected is in yellow text, you are in manual fuel burn.  Only that tank in yellow text will remain selected and you burn fuel from that tank only.  Important note: unlike auto fuel burn, when a selected tank runs dry in manual fuel burn, it will NOT automatically change to another tank and your engine will stop.  You need to remember to switch tanks or to auto mode just before you run it dry. 

Hitting Shift+F toggles between all the different fuel tanks in manual fuel burn mode (yellow) AND then back auto fuel burn (white).

Where this can come in handy is when you take a fuel hit and want to extend your range slightly by burning off that tank first (before it leaks dry).  For example, lets say you are flying a P-51D and take a right wing fuel tank hit -- you can hit Shift+F to select your right wing (RW in yellow) to burn fuel from that tank before it runs out.  Be sure to switch back to auto-fuel burn (white) just before it runs dry, or your engine will quit.

Hope this helps!
« Last Edit: May 29, 2016, 03:34:05 PM by Kingpin »
Quote from: bozon
For those of us playing this game for well over a decade, Aces High is more of a social club. The game just provides the framework. I keep logging in for the people and Pipz was the kind that you keep coming to meet again.

Offline Zimme83

• Gold Member
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2016, 03:30:56 PM »
White means tank selection is in auto, Yellow is manual. If Yellow you have to switch manually or the engine dies when the selected tank is empty.

A pro tip: Always use the AUX tank on B-17 and Fuselage tank on Ki-67, those tanks are most likely the ones being hit by flak so you want them to be almost empty when entering enemy airspace. Fuselage tank on the -67 also contains ~80% of the fuel so a leak in it will hurt.
''The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge'' - Stephen Hawking

Offline Max

• Platinum Member
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2016, 05:33:15 PM »
Thanks gents.  :salute

Offline Kingpin

• AH Training Corps
  • Silver Member
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2016, 07:30:40 PM »

You're welcome!

<S>
Quote from: bozon
For those of us playing this game for well over a decade, Aces High is more of a social club. The game just provides the framework. I keep logging in for the people and Pipz was the kind that you keep coming to meet again.

Offline Mongoose

• Silver Member
      • Kentwood Station
« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2016, 10:50:43 AM »
  You have to be careful with this because you can run a tank out of fuel and your engine quits.  You can also unbalance your airplane.  Some people use this to change the balance to their advantage.  But if you do it wrong, you can end up with an airplane that's not behaving right. 

If you just want to check your fuel, use the E6B function on the clipboard.  It tells you your total fuel remaining and how far you can fly at your current speed, among other things.  It also shows how you can set your throttle to get the most range.  You would be surprised how far you can stretch your range by using cruise settings.
My Aces High fan site:
www.kentwoodstation.com

Offline Max

• Platinum Member
« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2016, 11:14:20 AM »
I use the 190A5 for ground attack and was told that burning front tank 1st is advantageous.

Offline BuckShot

• Silver Member
« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2016, 06:00:27 PM »
I heard the opposite is true in the 190.

I'll have to try both.
Game handle: HellBuck

Offline LCADolby

• Platinum Member
« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2016, 06:21:48 PM »
in a 190 drain the aft or aux first.
in a spit drain the top first
JG5 "Eismeer"
YouTube+Twitch - 20Dolby10

"BE a man and shoot me in the back" - pez

Offline Kanth

• Gold Member
« Reply #9 on: May 30, 2016, 07:30:26 PM »

:aok

in a 190 drain the aft or aux first.
in a spit drain the top first
Gone from the game. Please see Spikes or Nefarious for any Ahevents.net admin needs.