Author Topic: Motion sickness  (Read 1848 times)

Offline Chalenge

• Plutonium Member
Motion sickness
« on: June 05, 2016, 03:03:18 PM »
We are studying VR sickness in school and I thought it might be a good time to recommend motion blur as an option.

Meanwhile I'm taking three weeks in the PI, so I won't be very helpful for that long.
If you like the Sick Puppy Custom Sound Pack the please consider contributing for future updates by sending a months dues to Hitech Creations for account "Chalenge." Every little bit helps.

Offline zack1234

• Plutonium Member
Re: Motion sickness
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2016, 03:05:05 AM »
PI?
There are no pies stored in this plane overnight

The GFC
Pipz lived in the Wilderness near Ontario

Offline LCADolby

• Platinum Member
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2016, 06:28:41 AM »
If the VR set has a sensible Frame Rate, motion sickness wont be a problem.
JG5 "Eismeer"
YouTube-20Dolby10
Twitch - Glendinho

HOST: HiTech Shot Down Skyyr Kill#1

Offline Vulcan

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2016, 12:00:00 AM »
I think your course needs updating, they are trying to get rid of motion blur in VR as it contributes to motion sickness.

Offline Chalenge

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2016, 12:28:05 PM »
PI?

Philippine Islands.

No, Vulcan, the data from the course in question comes from current AAA title productions in gaming, and a U.S. Air Force study on frame rates and human perception (persistence of vision). It is pretty much reduced to layman terms in this video (How Many FPS Can Your Eye See?):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FhSHeYT2U70

The motion blur information occurs at about 4:00.
If you like the Sick Puppy Custom Sound Pack the please consider contributing for future updates by sending a months dues to Hitech Creations for account "Chalenge." Every little bit helps.

Offline SFRT - Frenchy

• Platinum Member
      • http://home.CFL.rr.com/rauns/menu.htm
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2016, 01:59:00 AM »
I have motion sickness when I play VOD on my TV screen. It started with the first DOOM. I'd play for 25 minutes before I'd have to stop for not barfing. I'm supper sensitive to MS in real life when passenger on a plane or even car racing when I'm driving. Beats me, I enjoy all of these 😐. I also have the balance and coordination of a cat, maybe it's related.
Dat jugs bro.

Terror flieger since 1941.
------------------------

Offline Vulcan

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2016, 03:15:38 PM »
Philippine Islands.

No, Vulcan, the data from the course in question comes from current AAA title productions in gaming, and a U.S. Air Force study on frame rates and human perception (persistence of vision). It is pretty much reduced to layman terms in this video (How Many FPS Can Your Eye See?):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FhSHeYT2U70

The motion blur information occurs at about 4:00.

The USAF study is from when... the 60's iirc? Maybe it needs updating.

A full-persistence display has its pixels lit all the time. As Luckey explains, a full-persistence display only shows the correct scene orientation for one point in time; assuming the user continues to move their head, the scene orientation is out of date until the next frame can be drawn. The low-persistence technique lights the pixels only when the scene orientation is correct and goes dark immediately thereafter. Thanks to a high refresh rate, this happens so quickly that the user sees one continuous image. The end result is significantly reduced motion blur and potentially less nausea.

http://www.roadtovr.com/ces-2014-oculus-rift-crystal-cove-prototype-palmer-luckey-nate-mitchell-low-persistence-positional-tracking-interview-video/

Oculus are specifically targeting motion blur reduction.

Offline Chalenge

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2016, 05:56:52 PM »
Concerning the time period of the USAF test it obviously doesn't matter.

Concerning the blur you are arguing a completely different point. Rather than a blur created by a hardware persistence issue (I would call it optical nerve ghosting except it sounds like it is at least partially the blame of hardware) the motion blur on the periphery created by software is a tool to help battle user sickness. These are two totally different things. It's not just for VR either, but also has a place in any display environment where high speed motion in close proximity with fixed objects, or objects moving in the opposite direction could instill motion sickness.

The whole point of an option like this is that it is an option. Since not everyone reacts to MS (similar to Frenchy) in the same way it will not be a cure for everyone, but what bothers me most about these devices is the 20-40 minute limit recommended by the manufacturers.

Offline Vulcan

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2016, 10:50:10 PM »
Concerning the time period of the USAF test it obviously doesn't matter.

Yeah it does. These were the same people that were telling you to drop and hide under your school desk during a nuclear attack. Times change, information progresses.

Offline Chalenge

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2016, 12:18:08 AM »
Thankfully, nukes don't enter into it and the human optic nerve and visual cortex have not changed for thousands of years.

Offline nrshida

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #10 on: June 27, 2016, 12:58:59 AM »
the human optic nerve and visual cortex have not changed for thousands of years.

That's as irrelevant as nukes. Research and understanding has progressed.

What exactly would you like to have blurred? The blue sky and clouds as you fly through them? Or perhaps the ground as you drive a tank slowly across it?

”It's a shame that he's gone, but the shame is entirely his”
HiTech 2 - Skyyr 0

Offline pembquist

• Silver Member
« Reply #11 on: June 27, 2016, 11:24:28 AM »
I also have the balance and coordination of a cat, maybe it's related.

If my cats predilection to vomit is any indication I think you might be on to something. Do you take a lot of naps?
Pies not kicks.

Offline Chalenge

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #12 on: June 27, 2016, 11:45:26 AM »
That's as irrelevant as nukes. Research and understanding has progressed.

What exactly would you like to have blurred? The blue sky and clouds as you fly through them? Or perhaps the ground as you drive a tank slowly across it?

First, while that's true the details in that report enumerate specifics that have not changed with technology.

And don't be silly. You pass objects in the air all the time and at a much higher speed than F1 racecars. I know it can be really hard at times, but some of you guys might think about things before you hit that Post button.

Offline nrshida

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #13 on: June 27, 2016, 12:54:32 PM »
And don't be silly. You pass objects in the air all the time and at a much higher speed than F1 racecars.

Even in the video you posted it mentioned contexts like driving simulators where you pass a lot of detail in great proximity. I can't see how adding motion blur would bring anything to Aces High. If you are low and fast it's not for very long and at alt it's irrelevant. Passing another aircraft is not an overwhelming amount of peripheral detail.

I know it can be really hard at times, but some of you guys might think about things before you hit that Post button.

Your condescention is only surpassed by your false self-assurance. Perhaps you ought to consider why you continually post the things you do in the way you do. I know it can be really hard at times.

”It's a shame that he's gone, but the shame is entirely his”
HiTech 2 - Skyyr 0

Offline Chalenge

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #14 on: June 27, 2016, 07:17:23 PM »
Even in the video you posted it mentioned contexts like driving simulators where you pass a lot of detail in great proximity. I can't see how adding motion blur would bring anything to Aces High. If you are low and fast it's not for very long and at alt it's irrelevant. Passing another aircraft is not an overwhelming amount of peripheral detail.

Your condescention is only surpassed by your false self-assurance. Perhaps you ought to consider why you continually post the things you do in the way you do. I know it can be really hard at times.

It is when you are nearer the ground. You were so close too.

False huh? Ha! Thanks for playing.