Author Topic: Getting My Head Around This  (Read 2225 times)

Offline Chilli

• Platinum Member
Getting My Head Around This
« on: June 14, 2016, 02:18:58 PM »
I love the feature incorporated with the mouse controls, when navigating the mouse wheel controls the speed at which navigation travels.

If this were available to control the speed of the "pan" action  :uhoh when changing "hat views", I think it would add a whole new dimesion to situation awareness, especially with default and lower FOV.  :cool:

Now that I think about it a slider in view options would probably work better, but the description of the desired travel time is better described in comparison to the navigation application. 

Just another ChiLLi wish that I'd hope would be an aid to gameplay and cautiously hopefully it would add very minimal coad.  :bolt:  <-- Speedy retreat from ridicule for injecting wishlist posts {and hides behind a bottle of Speyburn} offered up as a token.  :embarrassed:

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
Re: Getting My Head Around This
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2016, 02:52:03 PM »
Check box for instant views.

Offline Chilli

• Platinum Member
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2016, 04:19:44 PM »
Yes, FLS the pan view does work now but too fast to process.  What I am hoping for is the ability to pan slower.  Currently the head whips around to the hat view.  I am thinking that a slower (or customized pan speed) will allow the hat switch to produce more fluid head movements as opposed to the "almost" snap view.

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2016, 07:27:45 PM »
What's the advantage of slower panning?  Aren't you better off just looking where you want to look?

Offline Chilli

• Platinum Member
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2016, 08:52:23 PM »
Nope.  The huge disadvantage of the lower FOV settings is that you do have to look at precise angles.  For example a plane above you and off to either side will not show in your look up view.  You can test what I am saying by sitting on the runway offline and observe how easy or difficult it is to track the circling drones.   Hypothetically, panning will give a more fluid track.  The real question is whether or not it is something HiTech decides is a feature worth the effort.

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2016, 10:05:09 PM »
The fastest full coverage solution to the 80 degree field of view is combining snap views. That's why you always want to have the up view mapped to a button you can press while using the hat, if you use hat views. Combining the up view with the hat views gives you the overlapping view fields. The narrower FOV is also why the "look forward" view is set to look between the front and front/up view.

With the Keypad it's already easy to combine views.

You can also pan any speed you like with the mouse view.

Offline Chilli

• Platinum Member
« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2016, 03:44:10 AM »
Engaged in close combat it is not advantageous to combine key punches or use mouse look.  In the type of situations that I am talking about, I currently depend on the 3D sound of the attacking plane to approximate its position.  However, without getting a visual, sound tells me little or nothing about attitude of that plane (is he diving in or climbing away, does he have a guns solution, or are you successfully scissored out of range?). 

The mouse look does have scalable speed and has been very helpful as you point out and I even have a mini stick on my throttle that allows me to use it while in combat. The problem is the control is very bad. 

My conclusion, allowing a more "fluid" customizable pan speed would give precision control and natural feel of movement, and improved situation awareness which is my goal.

Offline Hajo

• Platinum Member
« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2016, 09:12:40 AM »
You can have instant 360 degrees up, down and all around by programing buttons on your controllers.

I have the look up view programed on my throttle.  On my joystick I have all the other views on my hat switch.

By using the combination of the two controllers you have complete view in any direction around your aircraft or vehicle.
- The Flying Circus -

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2016, 11:20:59 AM »
You can have instant 360 degrees up, down and all around by programing buttons on your controllers.

I have the look up view programed on my throttle.  On my joystick I have all the other views on my hat switch.

By using the combination of the two controllers you have complete view in any direction around your aircraft or vehicle.

That is how I had mine setup before I went to track ir.
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
« Reply #9 on: June 15, 2016, 11:32:10 AM »
Engaged in close combat it is not advantageous to combine key punches or use mouse look...
...My conclusion, allowing a more "fluid" customizable pan speed would give precision control and natural feel of movement, and improved situation awareness which is my goal.

It's easy to use a hat and button at the same time.  It's also easy to hold down 2 keys on the keypad.

Panning your view slowly seems unlikely to be advantageous in combat when you compare it to instantly looking.

Your stated goals would not be realized with adjustable pan speed.

I do agree that you should visually track the bandit you're fighting. Practicing combining your hat views with "up" will make that easier.

Offline Chilli

• Platinum Member
« Reply #10 on: June 15, 2016, 05:33:43 PM »
Eh.......  So....... Using 2 buttons is better than using 1?  I do concede that a slower pan speed may not be desirable for others.  Thus, I merely ask for a customize option (without knowing the cost in its implementation), I also concede that it may not be a worthwhile task as far as HTC is concerned.

Now, unless my memory has totally failed me, it seems that we used to have something similar in AH1.  I recall an option of the pilot view originating in the tower proceeded to the runway and then cockpit.  That transition speed was custom and could be instantaneous (instant, is what we have now).

My "argument" :
  • Slower pan transition speed is more natural and would fill in the gaps in vision at lower FOVs.
  • The narrow focus on the center of vision of the lower FOV is missing the periphery vision.
  • The illusion of true eyesight on a 2 dimensional screen is aided by a larger FOV, but at the cost of scaling to a smaller size.
  • TIR and VR headsets are VERY superior tools for quickly locating objects in the periphery of hat positions.

Offline bustr

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #11 on: June 15, 2016, 06:03:57 PM »
This reads like you want a variation on F8 where you can control the pan speed of the Num_Key inputs with a slider.

If you are using your hat and keyboard for views, set Mode 3 so that you toggle into F8 and your hat takes the place of the NumPad directions. Then set a key to return you to the pilot's default view so you can shoot. As for a key press speed control, Wish List. Test F8 if your hat is mapped for views and see if it responds.
bustr - POTW 1st Wing

This is like the old joke that voters are harsher to their beer brewer if he has an outage, than their politicians after raising their taxes. Death and taxes are certain but, fun and sex is only now.

Offline Chilli

• Platinum Member
« Reply #12 on: June 15, 2016, 07:42:05 PM »
Yes Bustr.  But as I explained to FLS, this type of movement is clumbsy at best.  I even have a mini stick on my throttle that does look around.  No matter how much you practice, it will never land your view precisely as does the hat switch.

The wish is to have that precision (discussed above) and just the option to slow the pan speed a bit, which allows me to scan the in between views.  Currently the pan is just shy of instantaneous and tested sitting on runway offline with default FOV, it simply zips past big bright red icons so fast, they are not noticeable. 

Please test for yourself, and see if you can catch a drone just circling offline just past your side hat view.  If my eyes were to pan to the side it would catch the drone.  Yet, the hat switch pan speed is so fast that you don't or it is indistinguishable.

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
« Reply #13 on: June 15, 2016, 08:40:50 PM »
The simple solution is to look at the view with the red icon in it.

Offline bustr

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #14 on: June 15, 2016, 09:14:38 PM »
Chilli,

You are asking for a key press speed control.

Wish:

Dear Hitech,

Please implement a key press speed control so I can slow down the keys or buttons I map for views.
bustr - POTW 1st Wing

This is like the old joke that voters are harsher to their beer brewer if he has an outage, than their politicians after raising their taxes. Death and taxes are certain but, fun and sex is only now.