Author Topic: VR headsets and AH3  (Read 4366 times)

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
      • HiTech Creations Home Page
Re: VR headsets and AH3
« Reply #30 on: July 14, 2016, 04:07:51 PM »
Rift is also less expensive, correct?

Yes, but it only comes with an XBox controller, which is not a bad controller at all.  We are curious about the new touch controllers for the Rift.
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese
support@hitechcreations.com

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
« Reply #31 on: July 14, 2016, 04:41:43 PM »
Is it correct that as long as the peripherals support OpenVR, they'll work in AH3? 
"If Jesus came back as an airplane, he would be a P-38." - WW2 P-38 pilot
Elite Top Aces +1 Mexican Official Squadron Song

Offline Wraith_TMS

• Copper Member
      • My Web Depot
« Reply #32 on: July 14, 2016, 05:25:11 PM »
Yes, but it only comes with an XBox controller, which is not a bad controller at all.  We are curious about the new touch controllers for the Rift.

HTC might want to follow up on this then, if it hasn't done so already: https://twitter.com/brendaniribe/status/752929688134127617

(Brendan Iribe is the CEO of Oculus, so that's coming from the top.)

FWIW,
« Last Edit: July 14, 2016, 05:26:58 PM by Wraith_TMS »
o--[--Wraith----   
The Musketeers 
(In-game: Wraithe)
"Never try to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and it annoys the pig." -- R. A. Heinlein

Offline Gman

• Gold Member
« Reply #33 on: July 14, 2016, 11:22:02 PM »
Pretty impressed with the Vive in AH Beta - see a ton of potential here, flying low alt screaming through the trees and valleys was an unreal experience.  The hand controllers are set up very well in AH too, using Hotas, the Vive controllers, and regular mouse/kb by feel/touch is pretty powerful stuff.  Little things I need to figure out still like some settings "TrackIR" in the VR settings, etc.  The icons disappear when they are in the hud once you get close, but I didn't mess with GUI icon settings at all yet.  Overall, first impression after an hour of the Vive with AH is very good, and in the near future I can see it really being popular.

With my 1080 systems, using a single GPU (no sli for VR yet that works well), AH beta was 90 fps with settings maxed and just the reflections turned down a notch, no FPS issues at all.

Rift I'm trying tomorrow, the other sim/cockpit games forums all agree that the Rift is better in the cockpit, where as Vive for now is better for standing/room scale games, but the Vive is still pretty good in the cockpit games I tried, DCS, Elite, etc.

The first time I had the Vive on, and the demo came up, and the laser came shooting out of the hand controller, I knew it was money well spent - this is going to be amazing once people start creating stuff, and the drivers/hardware matures.  I could see a very, very accurate combat simulator for ground troops with realistic shaped controllers being in the future soon, like Arma but with room scale and hand held weapons. 

The Rift is a lot cheaper than the Vive, but doesn't come with much, as said, the one camera on a short stand, the Xbox controller, and that's about it.  The Vive box was the size of a PC case box, has 2 cameras, two large handsets, 2 chargers for both (usb/wall plug combo), a cable to connect the cameras if you so desire (you don't have to, it's just if they can't see each other well you can physically link them with that long cable).  After drawing the gaming space with the handheld controllers and setting them on the floor to map that, it only took minutes to get up and running for room scale gaming - holding up the controllers in VR, it's almost easy to forget that it's in VR, they are that precise, even if you set them down for sit down gaming.  The Vive also has a front camera, which the Rift doesn't.  Anyhow, the Rift delivered cost me exactly 914$ CDN, and the Vive was 1274$ CDN, 360$ CDN difference.  They both arrived with a few days of ordering, no backlog now, the Vive was 3 business days, the Rift about 5 total for shipping.  Quality is excellent with both, they don't feel cheap in the slightest, the Vive hand controllers are particularly robust feeling, intelligently placed triggers and buttons.

If you want to see the potential of the future handheld controllers for the Rift, great Star Trek demo here showing them in action - the Razer open source will be one I get too, as I'm hoping there are piles of aftermarket controllers coming, including rifle/handgun shaped ones for future combat simulations.  Even swords are a possibility IMO.  The coming Rift controllers look like they sit in the hand comfortably and that it won't take much effort to hold them.

« Last Edit: July 14, 2016, 11:24:59 PM by Gman »

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
« Reply #34 on: July 15, 2016, 06:27:20 AM »
Is it correct that as long as the peripherals support OpenVR, they'll work in AH3?

That could be true.  I only say it like until we have a chance to test further.
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese

Offline MADe

• Silver Member
« Reply #35 on: July 15, 2016, 09:17:29 AM »
G,

How heavy is all that hardware sitting on your head?
Does it pinch the old brainpan at any point?
Do you feel face heavy?
Hows about the accessories that help with goggles comfort?
How does an audio headset play with the VR headgear?
The VIVE has a front facing camera for real world overlay??, hows that work out?
Might as well pump you for details.
 :salute

double muff headsets give me a headache after extended use, have only used light weight audio gear or single muff in the old days.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2016, 09:19:51 AM by MADe »
ASROCK X99 Taichi, INTEL i7 6850@4.5GHz, GIGABYTE GTX 1070G1, Kingston HyperX 3000MHz DDR4, OCZ 256GB RD400, Seasonic 750W PSU, SONY BRAVIA 48W600B, Windows 10 Pro /64

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
« Reply #36 on: July 15, 2016, 04:52:33 PM »
That could be true.  I only say it like until we have a chance to test further.

I hope so.  I've put my name on the HDK2/OSVR waiting list to get one when it's released, and one of the selling points on Razer's HDK2/OSVR is that because it's open source using OpenVR, there is a wider choice for the user when it comes to 3rd party peripherals.
"If Jesus came back as an airplane, he would be a P-38." - WW2 P-38 pilot
Elite Top Aces +1 Mexican Official Squadron Song

Offline Gman

• Gold Member
« Reply #37 on: July 15, 2016, 06:14:14 PM »
The headset on the Rift isn't even noticeable.  The Vive gives you the option to use a headphone plug on the unit which is in the cable group, and comes with decent-ish ear buds which work find.  Audio with the Vive is your choice completely, where as I think you're sort of stuck with the Rift-phones, but as I said, they're ok.  There is no weight on your ears/head from the Rift phones, they won't bother you like headphones do, I'm almost certain of that.

Both units aren't that bad on the head, but years of wearing a helmet/goggles has me pretty desensitized to them, if it really bugs you try cutting the peak off a ball cap and wear it like a beany - nobody is going to see you anyway, and it'll give you some separation between the unit and your head.   I can wear both for as long as I like, it doesn't effect me badly at all, once you're inside them the view takes your brain over and time passes pretty quickly.

Offline Wraith_TMS

• Copper Member
      • My Web Depot
« Reply #38 on: July 15, 2016, 07:15:48 PM »
The headset on the Rift isn't even noticeable.  The Vive gives you the option to use a headphone plug on the unit which is in the cable group, and comes with decent-ish ear buds which work find.  Audio with the Vive is your choice completely, where as I think you're sort of stuck with the Rift-phones, but as I said, they're ok.  There is no weight on your ears/head from the Rift phones, they won't bother you like headphones do, I'm almost certain of that.

Gman, your new Rift CV1's earphones are detachable.  Its packaging should include a small plastic tool to help you remove them too (they can be reattached at any time).  So if you have your own headphones that you'd prefer to use, just detach the CV1 phones.  Here's a video explaining how to do it: https://youtu.be/CV-eHwWxLmI

Also the CV1's software/hardware includes a built-in DAC and supports 3D audio spatialization.  Here's an Oculus article (for developers) about that: https://developer.oculus.com/documentation/audiosdk/latest/concepts/audio-intro-spatialization/ (it's said to give developers unprecedented sound design options for their games.)

FWIW,
o--[--Wraith----   
The Musketeers 
(In-game: Wraithe)
"Never try to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and it annoys the pig." -- R. A. Heinlein

Offline MADe

• Silver Member
« Reply #39 on: July 15, 2016, 11:09:32 PM »

Both units aren't that bad on the head, but years of wearing a helmet/goggles has me pretty desensitized to them, if it really bugs you try cutting the peak off a ball cap and wear it like a beany - nobody is going to see you anyway, and it'll give you some separation between the unit and your head.   I can wear both for as long as I like, it doesn't effect me badly at all, once you're inside them the view takes your brain over and time passes pretty quickly.

OK TY
 :salute

One more question that I will want an answer too is what if any damage to the eyes after long term use. The eye is meant to detect reflected light sources, direct light is very bad.
Anybody got any intel on actual eye health and VR?
ASROCK X99 Taichi, INTEL i7 6850@4.5GHz, GIGABYTE GTX 1070G1, Kingston HyperX 3000MHz DDR4, OCZ 256GB RD400, Seasonic 750W PSU, SONY BRAVIA 48W600B, Windows 10 Pro /64

Offline Vulcan

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #40 on: July 16, 2016, 04:34:42 PM »
VR gives you eye cancer ok?   :devil

Offline MADe

• Silver Member
« Reply #41 on: July 16, 2016, 06:35:29 PM »
VR gives you eye cancer ok?   :devil
U joke but I am serious. My eyes are already going bad do to age. Having a device that close is likely as not to create eye issues or help along natural deterioration. So asking is better than finding out the hard way.

Offline MADe

• Silver Member
« Reply #42 on: July 18, 2016, 10:54:19 AM »
http://www.pcworld.com/article/3067377/components-graphics/nvidias-beastly-geforce-gtx-1080-and-gtx-1070-the-10-key-things-you-need-to-know.html

redundant info by now but my question was about this "ANSEL" software mentioned in post. Is this something that can/will be implemented for AH?

Offline Brooke

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://www.electraforge.com/brooke/
« Reply #43 on: July 18, 2016, 04:14:45 PM »
U joke but I am serious. My eyes are already going bad do to age. Having a device that close is likely as not to create eye issues or help along natural deterioration. So asking is better than finding out the hard way.

I'm with you on that.

Guys, what is the focal distance for VR headsets, and can you easily wear glasses with them?

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
« Reply #44 on: July 18, 2016, 04:24:11 PM »
I'm with you on that.

Guys, what is the focal distance for VR headsets, and can you easily wear glasses with them?

I wear my glasses with both the Vive and Rift.  The Rift is more comfortable with the glasses then the Vive is.

In AH3 we have two modes for VR.  One is a true stereoscopic view which really needs two good eyeballs.  The other is a flat view which works well if you have one good eye and one bad eye, like me.

The focal point is whatever you want it to be.  It is like looking out a cockpit window in the game.  If you focus on the target, the target is your focal point.  If you focus on a gauge, the gauge is your focal point and so on.

I will say, if you do not take the time to properly configure the headsets, it can be a painful experience.  Headaches, nausea, vertigo are but a few things that can get you.  I am mostly blind in my right eye, so it does not impact me as much as it could with someone with good stereoscopic vision.
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese