Author Topic: VR headsets and AH3  (Read 4618 times)

Offline Brooke

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://www.electraforge.com/brooke/
Re: VR headsets and AH3
« Reply #45 on: July 18, 2016, 04:31:05 PM »
Cool.

For focal distance, I was more wondering, if you are focusing on the dash board, are your eyes focused at 3 ft, and if you focus at a plane 200 yards out, are your eyes focused on 200 yards out?

I'm curious on all of this because I'm nearsighted, but also at the age where bifocals come into play.

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
      • HiTech Creations Home Page
« Reply #46 on: July 18, 2016, 04:36:58 PM »
Cool.

For focal distance, I was more wondering, if you are focusing on the dash board, are your eyes focused at 3 ft, and if you focus at a plane 200 yards out, are your eyes focused on 200 yards out?

I'm curious on all of this because I'm nearsighted, but also at the age where bifocals come into play.

That is pretty much it.  It is an illusion which does a good job of tricking your brain.  If you really focus on the lenses, you can see the dots which then makes everything else blurry.
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese
support@hitechcreations.com

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
« Reply #47 on: July 18, 2016, 07:17:11 PM »
If I understand correctly you need the same glasses for VR that you need in a real airplane?

I believe I read that the Vive has adjustable diopters but the Rift does not.

Two more days and I can test it with my new glasses.   :banana:

Offline Gman

• Gold Member
« Reply #48 on: July 18, 2016, 09:41:56 PM »
FLS, glasses is a strange subject with these VR headsets.  With both units, I've tried with and without glasses.  I have become nearsighted in my old age now (42), and have about -1.5 in left and a slight astig and -1.3 in the right, so not terrible, but at night, noticeable.  I tried both with glasses, without, and contacts.  For me, I can get away without correction in VR, as I read without glasses fine, and even thought the some say the focus distance INSIDE vr requires correction for nearsightedness, this hasn't been my experience.

It's a very, very subjective matter, so try it out and see for yourself.  Both headsets allow you to modify the width of the binocular lenses, spreading them apart or making them slower, and the Vive also allows you to make the lenses closer, or farther, for glasses use or long eyelashes, etc.  The Rift has a method of doing this too, various foam width sets, and I've heard a mechanical system like Vive is coming in later Rift models.  Rift has a slider for the width as well.

So, try it out, you'll find something that works, I gaurantee it, may be with or without glasses/contacts, but it'll work one way or t'other. 

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
« Reply #49 on: July 18, 2016, 10:46:46 PM »
I'm 20 years older than you and my eyes need a lot of correction now. I expect my glasses will work. I'll get a prescription just for the Rift if I have to. I'm sure the interpupillary distance is a critical setting but I believe there's a setup screen to help you set that correctly.

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
« Reply #50 on: July 19, 2016, 12:55:35 PM »
One of the main reasons why I'm going to go the HDK2/OSVR route instead of the Rift or Vive is that the HDK2 has individual eye focus for use without glasses.  The HDk2 demo goggles I tried out at E3, I had no troubles using the goggles without glasses as I was able to adjust the optics for each eye.  At least to me, the Rift and Vive were somewhat uncomfortable for me with my glasses on.
"If Jesus came back as an airplane, he would be a P-38." - WW2 P-38 pilot
Elite Top Aces +1 Mexican Official Squadron Song

Offline Gman

• Gold Member
« Reply #51 on: July 19, 2016, 02:00:46 PM »
Agreed AkAk, I signed up for an open source unit the day you mentioned it and having looked through it.

FLS, I need to check on one of my other PCs, but I do have a link for a company that will make VR specific built insert lenses for you, very inexpensively as well.  Sort of glasses without frames, monocle I guess more or less but are built to fit into both the Rift and Vive, and all the reviews I read on the site were stellar.  I was considering getting some until I got my units and found out my vision was ok, but I completely understand that in 20 years my eyes may be in the same shape as yours are now, and something like that now for you would be very beneficial.  IIRC there were actually 2 or 3 "VR eye correction insert" start-up companies that were very well reviewed, with youtube vids demonstrating them/etc.  I'll post back later with the links, I think it'll be exactly what you're looking for, and I believe for my eyes, it was going to cost me something like 60 British pounds for a set, which considering the price of the units, cheap.

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
« Reply #52 on: July 19, 2016, 05:51:33 PM »
You can wait until I find out if I need them.   :D

Offline Vulcan

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #53 on: July 19, 2016, 07:42:53 PM »
U joke but I am serious. My eyes are already going bad do to age. Having a device that close is likely as not to create eye issues or help along natural deterioration. So asking is better than finding out the hard way.

I've seen VR headsets being used for eye healthcare (iirc retraining eyes where people had temporarily lost vision due to injury).

Offline MADe

• Silver Member
« Reply #54 on: July 19, 2016, 11:40:48 PM »
I've seen VR headsets being used for eye healthcare (iirc retraining eyes where people had temporarily lost vision due to injury).

yes, I saw something about an app that used VR to strengthen eye muscles.

I am more worried about direct light damage than anything. Long exposure to it, especially in a confined eyeset where zero ambient light levels exist. Strictly light right into your eyes from dead front, all the time. What does your pupil do? lock down?........

its like a audio headphones, at some point, too much loud sound, for extended periods, damages your ear drums. Very strong correlation IMO.
ASROCK X99 Taichi, INTEL i7 6850@4.5GHz, GIGABYTE GTX 1070G1, Kingston HyperX 3000MHz DDR4, OCZ 256GB RD400, Seasonic 750W PSU, SONY BRAVIA 48W600B, Windows 10 Pro /64

Offline Vulcan

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #55 on: July 20, 2016, 04:52:14 PM »
I take somewhat regular breaks, when I climbout quite often I'll go for a drink, food, leak.

Offline Hajo

• Platinum Member
« Reply #56 on: July 25, 2016, 12:22:19 AM »
So..........Rift doesn't have joystick throttle and pedal capability?  If that is the case imho it is not for me.

Flying with an xbox controller is not my idea of virtual reality in WWII aircraft.  I was interested in VR.

Please, correct me if I am wrong.  I'd love to use VR in conjunction with flight controlers not an xbox controller.
- The Flying Circus -

Offline Gman

• Gold Member
« Reply #57 on: July 25, 2016, 02:12:38 AM »
You can use whatever controllers you like with either headset, you aren't limited to using JUST the controllers which come with each unit - I never even used the Xbox controller with the Rift until HT asked me to try it out with the beta.  I've used the Warthog, Cougar, CH complete Hotas, VKB, Slaw, and MFG stuff all with both the Rift and Vive in AH3beta, DCS, and so on.  You just have the OPTION to use the xbox controller in beta (it works better than I would have thought, VERY flyable, which is good for new inducts without HOTAS but have VR IMO), or the Vive dual controllers.  I haven't used them much myself in AH, just played with them a bit.  The keyboard/mouse work with both units as well.  You CAN set up the headsets to have a dot in the center, and use this as a VR mouse option, and select a "left/right mouse click" button for your hotas, but I just prefer to grab the mouse myself.

The Rift IMO is the one you want for cockpit/sit down games, until we get a look at the OSVR from Razor.  It's cheaper, and works better in every sim/sit down game I've tried.  If you want a good unit for a cocktail party, or stand up shoot em up arcade games, the Vive is for you. 

Offline Hajo

• Platinum Member
« Reply #58 on: July 25, 2016, 10:24:25 AM »
You can use whatever controllers you like with either headset, you aren't limited to using JUST the controllers which come with each unit - I never even used the Xbox controller with the Rift until HT asked me to try it out with the beta.  I've used the Warthog, Cougar, CH complete Hotas, VKB, Slaw, and MFG stuff all with both the Rift and Vive in AH3beta, DCS, and so on.  You just have the OPTION to use the xbox controller in beta (it works better than I would have thought, VERY flyable, which is good for new inducts without HOTAS but have VR IMO), or the Vive dual controllers.  I haven't used them much myself in AH, just played with them a bit.  The keyboard/mouse work with both units as well.  You CAN set up the headsets to have a dot in the center, and use this as a VR mouse option, and select a "left/right mouse click" button for your hotas, but I just prefer to grab the mouse myself.

The Rift IMO is the one you want for cockpit/sit down games, until we get a look at the OSVR from Razor.  It's cheaper, and works better in every sim/sit down game I've tried.  If you want a good unit for a cocktail party, or stand up shoot em up arcade games, the Vive is for you.

Gman thank you very much for the response.  Looks like RIFT is for me.  I do wear glasses for reading, and an earlier response says they are fairly comfortable while using RIFT.

I do not however know if my PC CPU is capable.  I can find no ratings.  I have an i73770 3.4, I do have 16gb DDR3 Ram.  I seem to think that DDR4 is required.  I have the 970 Geforce vid card.  Can you look at these specs and let me know if this machine will fly? I am using windows 8.1.

Thanks
Hajo
« Last Edit: July 25, 2016, 10:34:20 AM by Hajo »
- The Flying Circus -

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
« Reply #59 on: July 25, 2016, 12:25:18 PM »
I have an i7 2600K overclocked to 4.0 and DDR3 RAM. It works fine but every time I launch the oculus program it tells me my PC is inadequate.