Author Topic: The next wave of players: AH3 and VR headsets?  (Read 2167 times)

Offline MADe

• Silver Member
Re: The next wave of players: AH3 and VR headsets?
« Reply #15 on: June 28, 2016, 11:48:05 PM »
The VR industry is banking something in the billions on it becoming the thing to do and get, 2020 was a date in an article I read today.

When I think VR, I think "holodeck"......

I have no doubts about the visuals, immersion strength, but I myself would have a hard time not seeing the kb or anything else. My controller is made to my actual hand and I still look at it to gain orientation. I can't type either.  :bolt:

I used to run an IMAX projector, screen was 7 stories tall and 88ft wide. The movie was called "Too Fly", Cedar Point. That IMAX setup would make peeps barf, regularly. I understand the physical affect peeps will have, I used to start the film and feel the affects in the booth, but it will always be absent true gravity, gravity is the component you want first, imo. When I first started using a big screen flat panel, I used to duck in response to the action, its was funny.

I do not know why but I just feel its a fad. Way to pricey and ultimately somewhat limiting, hell I'm prolly wrong but........

because of the nature of flying, this could be a major boon to flight sims, if it draws more players!!! if corps are willing to burn cash on serious game development again......

and just for the record, I will more than likely buy a unit because ultimately I gotta know......................... ...........
« Last Edit: June 28, 2016, 11:51:56 PM by MADe »
ASROCK X99 Taichi, INTEL i7 6850@4.5GHz, GIGABYTE GTX 1070G1, Kingston HyperX 3000MHz DDR4, OCZ 256GB RD400, Seasonic 750W PSU, SONY BRAVIA 48W600B, Windows 10 Pro /64

Offline Brooke

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://www.electraforge.com/brooke/
« Reply #16 on: June 29, 2016, 01:07:43 AM »
Right now, the cost of an Oculus Rift is $600.  That is expensive compared to a $200 monitor, but low enough that they already sold 100,000 of them, and the price will come down very rapidly over time like all tech (that isn't government regulated).

I remember in the mid 1990's when Multisync 15" CRT monitors were $500 (or, inflation adjusted to today's money, $750).

At each stage of computer displays, certain technologies were pretty clear to become mainstream.  It was clear that CRT's would take over from printer-based terminals.  It was clear that LCD flat screens would take over from CRT's.  I do not doubt that VR headsets will become mainstream for segments of gaming.

Offline Coalcat1

• Persona Non Grata
  • Silver Member
« Reply #17 on: June 29, 2016, 01:15:51 AM »
Sorry to burst everyone's bubble but I know for a fact that DCS has had VR support for quite some time and iirc war thunder has had VR support for a while as well, so AH wouldn't stand out in terms of VR support.

Offline Vulcan

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #18 on: June 29, 2016, 01:32:20 AM »
Sorry to burst everyone's bubble but I know for a fact that DCS has had VR support for quite some time and iirc war thunder has had VR support for a while as well, so AH wouldn't stand out in terms of VR support.

AH3 is not DCS nor War Thunder though. It offers different things, and VR users are desperate for new experiences. VR + Flight Sim is a natural pairing, and AH3 has some great features to offer.

All the negative nancys need to spend some flight time with a rift before they pass sentence on VR.

Offline Brooke

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://www.electraforge.com/brooke/
« Reply #19 on: June 29, 2016, 01:41:51 AM »

DCS wouldn't be too close in competition, but War Thunder is closer -- I didn't know that it had VR support.

Offline Coalcat1

• Persona Non Grata
  • Silver Member
« Reply #20 on: June 29, 2016, 09:17:08 AM »
DCS wouldn't be too close in competition, but War Thunder is closer -- I didn't know that it had VR support.
War Thunder has had oculus rift support  since version 1.3, that was 2 updates ago iirc

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
« Reply #21 on: June 29, 2016, 12:20:01 PM »

War Thunder just added VR support last month.
"If Jesus came back as an airplane, he would be a P-38." - WW2 P-38 pilot
Elite Top Aces +1 Mexican Official Squadron Song

Offline Invictus84

• Copper Member
« Reply #22 on: June 29, 2016, 12:47:01 PM »
DCS?
Yes.

War Thunder?
Yes.  Supported as of last month per the previous post. 

IL2:Battle of Stalingrad/Moscow?
Yes as of this week's update (v2.002).  Currently basic support for Vive.   See entry #2 here:  http://forum.il2sturmovik.com/topic/12826-game-updates/?p=367267

IL2 Cliffs of Dover? 
Planned support with TF 5.0 roll-out later this year.  Oculus and Vive should work.  More info:  http://theairtacticalassaultgroup.com/forum/showthread.php?t=21356

Rise of Flight?
Last I heard support is not planned.  I suppose there is hope given IL2:BoS is based off the same graphics engine with updated features. 

Good to hear AH is jumping on the bandwagon too.  It certainly seems to be the future.  Still a bit to new and expensive for me to take the leap, but I expect I will once the 2nd generation headsets start to roll out.

Hope that helps.  :salute

« Last Edit: June 29, 2016, 12:49:50 PM by Invictus84 »

Offline Vulcan

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #23 on: June 29, 2016, 01:59:08 PM »
War Thunder has had oculus rift support  since version 1.3, that was 2 updates ago iirc

Current version is 1.4.

You might be confusing people use 3rd party apps like Opentrack and Vorpx - which is what I use with AH2.

Offline Invictus84

• Copper Member
« Reply #24 on: June 29, 2016, 02:14:16 PM »
http://warthunder.com/en/game/changelog/current/572/

Support for the CV1 last month.  I think the Dev Kit (DK1 and DK2) versions were partly supported, but it could have been through some 3rd party apps.  Not sure, sorry.

Offline Wraith_TMS

• Copper Member
      • My Web Depot
« Reply #25 on: June 29, 2016, 06:53:46 PM »
Relevant to this discussion:

HTC (the "other" HTC  :neener:) announces creation of a $10 Billion venture capital fund alliance aimed at AR and VR startups and ventures:
http://uploadvr.com/htc-announces-vrvca/

HTC (yes... the "other" HTC...) spins the Vive off into its own division: http://uploadvr.com/htc-vive-tech-corporation-vr-subsidary/

I'd "venture"  :D that VR is not a passing fad.  Time will tell, but money talks too.

FWIW,

o--[--Wraith----   
The Musketeers 
(In-game: Wraithe)
"Never try to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and it annoys the pig." -- R. A. Heinlein

Offline MADe

• Silver Member
« Reply #26 on: June 29, 2016, 11:34:38 PM »
DCS?
Yes.

War Thunder?
Yes.  Supported as of last month per the previous post. 

IL2:Battle of Stalingrad/Moscow?
Yes as of this week's update (v2.002).  Currently basic support for Vive.   See entry #2 here:  http://forum.il2sturmovik.com/topic/12826-game-updates/?p=367267

IL2 Cliffs of Dover? 
Planned support with TF 5.0 roll-out later this year.  Oculus and Vive should work.  More info:  http://theairtacticalassaultgroup.com/forum/showthread.php?t=21356

Rise of Flight?
Last I heard support is not planned.  I suppose there is hope given IL2:BoS is based off the same graphics engine with updated features. 

Good to hear AH is jumping on the bandwagon too.  It certainly seems to be the future.  Still a bit to new and expensive for me to take the leap, but I expect I will once the 2nd generation headsets start to roll out.

Hope that helps.  :salute

there is also in development a new flight sim game for online, multiplayers, that is being put together because of the emergence of VR. It will prolly be AH3's only true competitor................... .........

A question, when wearing a VR rig, if I look back over my shoulder, I mean really turn my head, is the view gonna pan around? or will I still look ahead and use a view high hat arrangement?

I promise if you got a 60" curved LCD or 4K HDTV, set it up 3ft away, you will get some game immersion as well.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2016, 12:01:12 AM by MADe »
ASROCK X99 Taichi, INTEL i7 6850@4.5GHz, GIGABYTE GTX 1070G1, Kingston HyperX 3000MHz DDR4, OCZ 256GB RD400, Seasonic 750W PSU, SONY BRAVIA 48W600B, Windows 10 Pro /64

Offline Invictus84

• Copper Member
« Reply #27 on: June 29, 2016, 11:59:08 PM »
there is also in development a new flight sim game for online, multiplayers, that is being put together because of the emergence of VR. It will prolly be AH3's only true competitor................... .........

In what way? 

While War Thunder has a different style, it is still a online air combat game like AH which boasts a far larger user base.  Both Cliffs and Battle of Stalingrad have online servers which peak out to nearly the same number of players (80 to 100) the MA tends to sport these days.  Both have more complex flight models than AH.

Not a knock on AH.  It has unique features to differenciate itself from these other games, but I seriously doubt that's enough to state these games are not "true" competitors.

Offline MADe

• Silver Member
« Reply #28 on: June 30, 2016, 12:10:25 AM »
servers with 400+ capability. My experience with war blunder, IL 2 were with player limited servers, 16, 32......I hated this. I beta tested WoW, I flew IL 2 on an air racing server which was fun as hell.

AH is unique in that it fits the term massive multiplayer, FA used to, AW prolly did as well. My first year in AH saw real bomber flights, real numbers.....

Offline Invictus84

• Copper Member
« Reply #29 on: June 30, 2016, 12:16:06 AM »
 IL2 Cliffs of Dover has servers with a capacity of 100.  Peak weekend hours usually see that fully populated.  BoS has an 85 player limit, but same applies.  Not apples to apples, but not apples to bananas either.  More like Green apples to Red apples...or a Pear.  :)