Author Topic: What's with these "Millenials"?  (Read 5655 times)

Offline BoilerDown

• Silver Member
Re: What's with these "Millenials"?
« Reply #15 on: July 08, 2016, 12:02:43 AM »
Never blame the kids, blame the system that raised them.  Remember that always.

Furthermore, I'm a recent college graduate from Purdue who is significantly older than the typical student. I joined a service organization and got to know many of these millennials.  They were a very impressive bunch, full of leadership, volunteerism, and intelligence, even at their young age.  They will be and are just fine.  Anyone who thinks or says otherwise is judging an entire generation by a few non-representative convenience samples.
Boildown

This is the Captain.  We have a lil' problem with our entry sequence so we may experience some slight turbulence and then... explode.

Boildown is Twitching: http://www.twitch.tv/boildown

Offline Copprhed

• Silver Member
« Reply #16 on: July 08, 2016, 01:57:55 AM »
Yeah, those damn millennials, the ones that invented CDO's and CDO squared and CDS"s and drove the economy off a cliff. Oh wait!

Narcissistic personalities and arrogance have been around for ever as has your old man whining. You can get all nostalgic for the pre-antibiotic age or the grand old days of Jim Crow or whatever but aside from the straw-man army most people are doing as well as most people ever have.

Except of course for those Baby Boomers....now THOSE people....yech!
Obviously still lives with his parents.....
Flight Leader: "Bogeys at 2 o'clock!"
Wingman: "Roger, It's 1:30 now, what do I do 'til then?"

Offline FLOOB

• Gold Member
« Reply #17 on: July 08, 2016, 02:05:28 AM »
That kind of thing used to happen in the backwhen on the oldstyle BBS systems.

Wiley.

Those were fun times but I don't remember anybody being killed or even beat up. Can't speak for everyone but me and my friends figured out pretty quickly back in the 90s that the internet isn't real life. You don't have to look very far to see that there are a lot of younger folks who haven't seemed to have figured that out yet.
“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans” - John Steinbeck

Offline NatCigg

• Gold Member
« Reply #18 on: July 08, 2016, 03:50:22 AM »
Im old school/ Video games are make believe opportunities to talk trash.  The internet is a waste of time, only good for sports, news, nudes and a means for make believe opportunities to talk trash to the world.  :old:

Offline MiloMorai

• Platinum Member
« Reply #19 on: July 08, 2016, 03:57:33 AM »
wait til the snowflake generation gets really going.

Offline Chalenge

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #20 on: July 08, 2016, 05:04:39 AM »
Anyone who generalizes about an entire group of folks is going to be wrong.

Actually, stereotyping and bigotries are a natural part of engaging with different cultures. It is a survival strategy that allows anyone with limited experience with trading, bartering, and interacting with outside, unfamiliar cultures to succeed. As strange as it seems if you take that away you also take away humanity as it has been for thousands of years.

That's progress for you.
If you like the Sick Puppy Custom Sound Pack the please consider contributing for future updates by sending a months dues to Hitech Creations for account "Chalenge." Every little bit helps.

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 08, 2016, 05:19:34 AM »
it all went downhill when they allowed women to vote!  :old:
Steam: DrKalv
E:D Snailman

Offline FLOOB

• Gold Member
« Reply #22 on: July 08, 2016, 05:26:53 AM »
it all went downhill when they allowed women to vote!  :old:

Truth! Repeal the 19th!

If there really is a problem with millenials, it's the fault of the people who made them that way.
“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans” - John Steinbeck

Offline NatCigg

• Gold Member
« Reply #23 on: July 08, 2016, 05:42:42 AM »
Truth! Repeal the 19th!

If there really is a problem with millenials, it's the fault of the people who made them that way.

Have you ever raised a child?.?.?. On WEED???

Offline LCADolby

• Platinum Member
« Reply #24 on: July 08, 2016, 07:55:57 AM »
How does this work and what am I?
Grandparents lived through the WWII, does this therefore make my mother a boomer and me a mellenial?
Or is it determined my birthdate? GPs in the 1920s, mother 1960s and me the 1980s.. I'm lost
JG5 "Eismeer"
YouTube-20Dolby10
Twitch - Glendinho

Offline JOACH1M

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #25 on: July 08, 2016, 08:43:26 AM »
People who often complain about the millennial generation are often the generation who raised us.

Btw the media plays a huge roll in this.
FEW ~ BK's ~ AoM
Focke Wulf Me / Last Of The GOATS 🐐
ToC 2013 & 2017 Champ
R.I.P My Brothers <3

Offline Wiley

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #26 on: July 08, 2016, 10:11:16 AM »
Those were fun times but I don't remember anybody being killed or even beat up. Can't speak for everyone but me and my friends figured out pretty quickly back in the 90s that the internet isn't real life. You don't have to look very far to see that there are a lot of younger folks who haven't seemed to have figured that out yet.

I have anecdotal evidence that a BBS altercation turned into a showdown at ye olde local pub in the mid 90s.  The difference is today it would've been on social media and maybe gone viral.

I believe whatever issues are happening are definitely on the shoulders of the parents.  A LOT of kids these days aren't raised, they're housed.

I also believe that there are plenty of fine examples of young people in this generation as BoilerDown stated.  If a person is so inclined, there's still plenty of opportunity to excel.

What bothers me though, and again I blame the fact that due to the internet stuff that would've never been seen by people outside the room when it happened in the past is suddenly readily available.  Like people showing up to job interviews with their parent sitting in on the interview, etc etc.  Maybe that did happen a couple times now and again last century, but nobody knew about it.

People talking about microagressions and needing to feel safe and unoffended, you never saw that kind of thing 20 years ago, or if you did there weren't enough people saying it in one spot at one time to gain much traction.  All thanks to the ability to communicate.

Wiley.
If you think you are having a 1v1 in the Main Arena, your SA has failed you.

JG11

Offline NatCigg

• Gold Member
« Reply #27 on: July 08, 2016, 11:54:15 AM »
How does this work and what am I?
Grandparents lived through the WWII, does this therefore make my mother a boomer and me a mellenial?
Or is it determined my birthdate? GPs in the 1920s, mother 1960s and me the 1980s.. I'm lost

my guess is you are generation Y.  This is high school class 96-2000.  generation x, that gave us the college kids/ millennials of today was graduation 90-95, this group grew up on electronics, cable television and MTV.  The millennials have grown up post broadband and 9/11,  :uhoh  IMO we make them watch baseball and sing the national anthem, and hope for the best.  :pray

Offline Rolex

• AH Training Corps
  • Gold Member
« Reply #28 on: July 08, 2016, 01:44:08 PM »

Btw the media plays a huge roll in this.

Offline Ramesis

• Silver Member
« Reply #29 on: July 08, 2016, 02:51:07 PM »
They didn't have only a stick and rope to play with  :old:
Ram
"Would you tell me, please,
 which way I ought to go from here?
 That depends a good deal on where
 you want to get to. Said the cat."
    Charles Lutwidge Dodgson a.k.a. Lewis Carroll