Author Topic: What's with these "Millenials"?  (Read 5734 times)

Offline Tumor

• Platinum Member
      • Wait For It
What's with these "Millenials"?
« on: July 07, 2016, 01:57:52 PM »
  I keep seeing all these references to "FInd a Safe Place" and "Participation Awards" etc.  What's really going on here?  Maybe we can have a nice discussion without intentionally offending an entire generation... which given the generation, is likely impossible, but no offense intended young'uns. :old:

Are the Greatest, Boomers and X all that far removed?  I distinctly remember my parents squeaking and moaning about what would be X'rs.  NOW though, I hear it from them constantly about the "Millennials" and much worse. IMO, Boomers whining about Millennials is a fine example of the old Pot/Kettle thing.  That said, not once have I ever heard my Grandfather (90) speak badly about any of them.. none.  Hangin out with his ancient friends, same thing.  There's a definite difference there.. they don't seem to whine. They DO point at the Govt a lot though, which it seems a everyone who's anyone is doing now.

How different are we and why?  I fall into the X category, which I find nauseating but, at least I'm not a Boomer.  That's my stance.
"Dogfighting is useless"  :Erich Hartmann

Offline Randall172

• Persona Non Grata
  • Copper Member
Re: What's with these "Millenials"?
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2016, 02:11:22 PM »
I'm a mid - 90s born (millenial?) and from what I've seen throughout history everyone thinks the youngest generation is weird, different, or otherwise not culturally normal.

but in my opinion the internet and the news in general has caused a paranoia of sorts on the numerous dangers (no matter how small) to your children.

ie cyber bullying, vaccines, bird flu, ebola, etc

its simply an effect of information overload that previous generations didn't have.

plus no one wants their children to be discouraged for losing and participation awards are more for memories than anything else.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2016, 02:15:45 PM by Randall172 »

Offline FLOOB

• Gold Member
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2016, 02:45:49 PM »
The only real diff I can tell is that they've never known a world without the internet. So unlike us they don't realize that the internet isn't reality. They give a toejam about what people type in social media. You've got millenials beating people up, killing others or killing themselves because of internet chat. Which to us seems bass ackward, ridiculous and even hilarious.
“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans” - John Steinbeck

Offline Shamus

• Gold Member
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2016, 03:02:48 PM »
Anyone who generalizes about an entire group of folks is going to be wrong. 
one of the cats

FSO Jagdgeschwader 11

Offline Serenity

• Platinum Member
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2016, 03:10:51 PM »
As a millenial myself, this couldn't be more true:

The millenial thing is real. There's been numerous discussions, in the military particularly, about dealing with this new mentality, and how the concept of instant gratification, the power of one's own identity over the good of the whole, and need for their feelings to be protected, and how to not only retain but attempt to get good work out of them. Not all millenials are this way, but it's a larger movement in this generation it seems.

Offline Wiley

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2016, 03:29:46 PM »
The only real diff I can tell is that they've never known a world without the internet. So unlike us they don't realize that the internet isn't reality. They give a toejam about what people type in social media. You've got millenials beating people up, killing others or killing themselves because of internet chat. Which to us seems bass ackward, ridiculous and even hilarious.

That kind of thing used to happen in the backwhen on the oldstyle BBS systems.

My personal feeling on a lot of behavior is it hasn't really gotten more prevalent, but due to the internet something happens in some small village in New Mexico and the information is instantly available worldwide if you go looking for it. 

No matter what your viewpoint is on something, you can likely find other people on the internet that feel the same way, and you therefore start thinking it's a valid viewpoint.  You can see that with the people who want their feelings to be protected and the ability to go through life without being offended, as well as all kinds of conspiracy theorists.  And that's not entirely a generational thing in my estimation.  Plenty of them are a lot older than millenials.

Wiley.
If you think you are having a 1v1 in the Main Arena, your SA has failed you.

JG11

Offline EskimoJoe

• Platinum Member
« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2016, 05:16:59 PM »
It's a mad world you older folk have left us inbetweeners. The generation just before millenials, the ones were just old enough to remember where they were when the towers fell. It seems like our generation has to figure out how to fix the problems in our world the generations before us left, and the generation after us doesn't want to deal with.

Somebody should have spanked them, at the very least. I'm not saying with a spoon or paddle or stick, but definitely a darn good spanking.
Put a +1 on your geekness atribute  :aok

Offline WEZEL

• Silver Member
« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2016, 06:25:08 PM »
Get off my lawn  :old:

Offline Meatwad

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2016, 06:32:43 PM »
It's a mad world you older folk have left us inbetweeners. The generation just before millenials, the ones were just old enough to remember where they were when the towers fell. It seems like our generation has to figure out how to fix the problems in our world the generations before us left, and the generation after us doesn't want to deal with.

Somebody should have spanked them, at the very least. I'm not saying with a spoon or paddle or stick, but definitely a darn good spanking.

Spanking stopped when everyone started crying with giant crocodile tears child abuse
See Rule 19- Do not place sausage on pizza.
I am No-Sausage-On-Pizza-Wad.
Das Funkillah - I kill hangers, therefore I am a funkiller. Coming to a vulchfest near you.
You cant tie a loop around 400000 lbs of locomotive using a 2 foot rope - Drediock on fat women

Offline Spikes

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
    • Twitch: Twitch Feed
« Reply #9 on: July 07, 2016, 06:36:31 PM »
Spanking stopped when everyone started crying with giant crocodile tears child abuse
But that didn't just become the norm overnight, so what changed?
i7-12700k | Gigabyte Z690 GAMING X | 64GB G.Skill DDR4 | EVGA 1080ti FTW3 | H150i Capellix

FlyKommando.com

Offline Rolex

• AH Training Corps
  • Gold Member
« Reply #10 on: July 07, 2016, 06:36:59 PM »
Do 1,000 millennials equal one billiennial?

Offline mbailey

• Platinum Member
« Reply #11 on: July 07, 2016, 06:39:23 PM »
Bubble kids (kids so protected from failure it's like they live in a bubble)  oh, and time outs. A combination of Both were a perfect recipie for this

Good news is I have 16yrold boy/girl twins....and it makes them sick. I actually over heard my daughter the other day tell one of her friends to "grow a set" and get over it.

There's hope....
« Last Edit: July 07, 2016, 06:44:13 PM by mbailey »
Mbailey
80th FS "Headhunters"

Ichi Go Ichi E
Character is like a tree and reputation like its shadow. The shadow is what we think of it; the tree is the real thing.

When the game is over, the Kings and Pawns all go into the same box.

Offline pembquist

• Silver Member
« Reply #12 on: July 07, 2016, 08:01:20 PM »
Yeah, those damn millennials, the ones that invented CDO's and CDO squared and CDS"s and drove the economy off a cliff. Oh wait!

Narcissistic personalities and arrogance have been around for ever as has your old man whining. You can get all nostalgic for the pre-antibiotic age or the grand old days of Jim Crow or whatever but aside from the straw-man army most people are doing as well as most people ever have.

Except of course for those Baby Boomers....now THOSE people....yech!

Pies not kicks.

Offline NatCigg

• Gold Member
« Reply #13 on: July 07, 2016, 08:10:31 PM »
But that didn't just become the norm overnight, so what changed?

Donahue, Oprah, and Geraldo, then it was cable news; It was the information and knowledge, the attempt to do better and rewrite the book.  :old:

Offline Serenity

• Platinum Member
« Reply #14 on: July 07, 2016, 08:18:00 PM »
Yeah, those damn millennials, the ones that invented CDO's and CDO squared and CDS"s and drove the economy off a cliff. Oh wait!

Narcissistic personalities and arrogance have been around for ever as has your old man whining. You can get all nostalgic for the pre-antibiotic age or the grand old days of Jim Crow or whatever but aside from the straw-man army most people are doing as well as most people ever have.

Except of course for those Baby Boomers....now THOSE people....yech!

Wow... You certainly fit a lot of big words into an empty sentence. At no point was anyone calling for a return to Jim Crow, nor blaming the economic crash on the current 12 year olds. However, the wondering-aloud as to the paradigm shift in attitude, (And please, TRY to convince me that the general outlook on life of this generation isn't different from those that came before) is a perfectly valid topic of conversation.