Author Topic: What's with these "Millenials"?  (Read 5963 times)

Offline branch37

• Silver Member
      • VF-17 Jolly Rogers
Re: What's with these "Millenials"?
« Reply #75 on: July 15, 2016, 07:25:19 AM »
I was taught cursive in 3rd grade and forced to write that way up through 5th grade IIRC. Then it just disappeared.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CMDR Branch37
VF-17 Jolly Rogers  C.O.

Offline branch37

• Silver Member
      • VF-17 Jolly Rogers
« Reply #76 on: July 15, 2016, 07:26:28 AM »
You know it and I know it, you're no good Branch. Don't be upset that your family is on to you.

You're still skulking around here??  I heard you retired you grumpy old fart.  :devil

CMDR Branch37
VF-17 Jolly Rogers  C.O.

Offline Traveler

• Gold Member
      • 113th Lucky Strikes
« Reply #77 on: July 15, 2016, 09:03:40 AM »
I was taught cursive in 3rd grade and forced to write that way up through 5th grade IIRC. Then it just disappeared.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It didn't disappear, your school system just dropped the requirement.  There is a difference.  Unless the courts are going to change legally defined documents and legal requirements.  The things that we do everyday that require a signature in the business world would amaze you.
Traveler
Executive Officer
113th LUcky Strikes
http://www.hitechcreations.com/wiki/index.php/113th_Lucky_Strikes

Offline NatCigg

• Gold Member
« Reply #78 on: July 15, 2016, 11:37:58 AM »
Very true. Even in my school system it was VERY rare. I just had one AP English teacher in high school that insisted everything hand-written be in cursive, and ever since it's stuck!

It is fascinating, this human experience.  we can get taught something and it is as if it was meant to be, a life changer, a new perspective.  without the education, IT does not exist, gone from our reality.  This could be the main factor of this thread, The children are being taught, or not being taught, and there reality is different than ours because there experience is different, and in our eyes lacking.  This concept is nothing new, It is the basis for how history repeats itself.

:salute

Offline redcatcherb412

• Nickel Member
« Reply #79 on: July 15, 2016, 05:30:14 PM »
See Rule #14
« Last Edit: July 18, 2016, 04:15:53 PM by Skuzzy »
Ground Pounders ...

Offline NatCigg

• Gold Member
« Reply #80 on: July 15, 2016, 10:16:08 PM »
"Baby boomer parenting was getting your friends on a Saturday early, grabbing canteens, making sack lunches, grabbing your .22 and setting out on an all day hike across desert, climbing to Sandia Crest from the La Luz trail in Albuquerque. Dragging home after dark and parents ask 'what you do today ?'.  Forgot to mention, you were 12-13 yrs old and 5 year later dragging an m16 in the boonies in Vietnam."

- redcatcherb412

EPIC!   :aok  :old:

Offline Traveler

• Gold Member
      • 113th Lucky Strikes
« Reply #81 on: July 15, 2016, 10:37:52 PM »
I was in the Boy Scouts in the early 60's and very lucky that the troop I was in was very active in camping.  Our Scout Master and a few of the Fathers of boys were very active and I remember camping just about every weekend in the spring, summer and fall and a few of the winter weekends, camping in the snow.  Later and older, I was a team medic in the 5th Special Forces and their training for how to live in the field was not as extensive as the training I had already learned in the Boy Scouts.   My experience in living in Vietnam for 18 months was pretty much a daily back packing ordeal followed by sleeping (when it was my turn) in a different hole in the ground every night.
Traveler
Executive Officer
113th LUcky Strikes
http://www.hitechcreations.com/wiki/index.php/113th_Lucky_Strikes

Offline Randall172

• Persona Non Grata
  • Copper Member
« Reply #82 on: July 16, 2016, 02:22:35 PM »
See Rule #14
« Last Edit: July 18, 2016, 04:16:30 PM by Skuzzy »

Offline NatCigg

• Gold Member
« Reply #83 on: July 18, 2016, 08:24:15 AM »
My statement would hold true for them.  I would hold my applause until we had a sit down chat about there stubborn irresponsibility.  But that's because of my opinion, not a lack of respect.

Offline Serenity

• Platinum Member
« Reply #84 on: July 18, 2016, 12:41:14 PM »
My statement would hold true for them.  I would hold my applause until we had a sit down chat about there stubborn irresponsibility.  But that's because of my opinion, not a lack of respect.

You can't have it both ways. You can't say that one person holding their applause is wrong because it's disrespectful, but when you do it it's okay because it's your opinion.

Offline bustr

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #85 on: July 18, 2016, 02:24:10 PM »
I grew up on military posts around the world. At the theater you stood for the intro star spangled banner short before every feature. You stopped and faced the flag at the end of day ceremony at some posts even if you were only a dependent. The first time I was in a civilian theater when I was 13, it was a culture shock when the previews started and then went into the main feature. I grew up on posts until I was 13 while the only US posting I was at, 2nd-3rd grade years, and my father didn't allow us off the post without being with us due to working cold war USAF Security Services. He worked for SAC as a Russian transmission translator.

I watched from 13 until now a very slow relaxing in social standards for public respect of the president, military, and the flag. Some of that was learned by children because you learned respect of country at home, public school, and when you are out in the public learning to fit in. And some people used to fake the respect or else, because the social majority practiced it and didn't tolerate disrespect of it. Today the social majority don't and we have fewer who reflexively respect the position of the president and those associated to that position.

Pragmatically holding your applause as an adult is one thing and a choice of conscience. In public school and even what passed for public school on military posts in the past, you were told it was the proper polite thing to applaud public figures who represented our government especially the first lady. I will venture that was at a time the public majority practiced respect of the president, military and flag.

I've had the opportunity to watch times change where respect for social institutions has gone from being expected as part of your civic duty, to something that can get you fired or taken to court if it is the wrong social institution. 
bustr - POTW 1st Wing

This is like the old joke that voters are harsher to their beer brewer if he has an outage, than their politicians after raising their taxes. Death and taxes are certain but, fun and sex is only now.

Offline Ramesis

• Silver Member
« Reply #86 on: July 18, 2016, 02:34:04 PM »
I grew up on military posts around the world. At the theater you stood for the intro star spangled banner short before every feature. You stopped and faced the flag at the end of day ceremony at some posts even if you were only a dependent. The first time I was in a civilian theater when I was 13, it was a culture shock when the previews started and then went into the main feature. I grew up on posts until I was 13 while the only US posting I was at, 2nd-3rd grade years, and my father didn't allow us off the post without being with us due to working cold war USAF Security Services. He worked for SAC as a Russian transmission translator.

I watched from 13 until now a very slow relaxing in social standards for public respect of the president, military, and the flag. Some of that was learned by children because you learned respect of country at home, public school, and when you are out in the public learning to fit in. And some people used to fake the respect or else, because the social majority practiced it and didn't tolerate disrespect of it. Today the social majority don't and we have fewer who reflexively respect the position of the president and those associated to that position.

Pragmatically holding your applause as an adult is one thing and a choice of conscience. In public school and even what passed for public school on military posts in the past, you were told it was the proper polite thing to applaud public figures who represented our government especially the first lady. I will venture that was at a time the public majority practiced respect of the president, military and flag.

I've had the opportunity to watch times change where respect for social institutions has gone from being expected as part of your civic duty, to something that can get you fired or taken to court if it is the wrong social institution.

bustr... you said the above with more eloquence than I did early in this thread  :salute
Ram
"Would you tell me, please,
 which way I ought to go from here?
 That depends a good deal on where
 you want to get to. Said the cat."
    Charles Lutwidge Dodgson a.k.a. Lewis Carroll

Offline pembquist

• Silver Member
« Reply #87 on: July 18, 2016, 02:48:52 PM »
You can't have it both ways. You can't say that one person holding their applause is wrong because it's disrespectful, but when you do it it's okay because it's your opinion.

I don't know, this seems like a time honored practice to me! It kind of goes along with "we are all equal just some of us more so".

Regardless, Serenity I wonder if when you say a lot of your peers seem incapable of working towards goals what you are seeing is not exceptional to any generation. I don't have a lot of first hand experience with aimless millenials but I have met more than a few aimless boomers Xers Yers and what not. It could be that since you seem to be a very focused kind of a person you are a little appalled at what is just the ordinary distribution of ambition in human society and as you travel further in life your expectations for humanity will diminish. After all somebody said: "everyone is trying to do their best but sometimes their best is pretty sh......y."

On the other end of the scale I have met more than a few millennials I would characterize as ferocious competitors, sharp elbowed, focused and very very ambitious. Since we are indulging in stereotyping I might add that a lot of young immigrants and the children of immigrants do not seem to have any ambivalence about striving. I find the whole generational parsing of the population to be lazy thinking and even if their is some truth in it, it is way overly broad, folding in people with vastly different life experience into some sort of over educated coffee swilling urbanite hipster layabout strawman, waiting for their ship to come in and being aggrieved when it doesn't.

The remorseless use of words like Character and Respect  I find completely unpersuasive and hollow when used in argument. I surely believe that there is such a thing as character and I certainly subscribe to being respectful but most of the time when people begin to cite the absence of these I begin to hear stone casting Saudis getting their panties in a twist about sombody's love life or women drivers.

No offense intended.
Pies not kicks.

Offline NatCigg

• Gold Member
« Reply #88 on: July 18, 2016, 02:54:00 PM »
See Rule #14
« Last Edit: July 18, 2016, 04:17:18 PM by Skuzzy »

Offline NatCigg

• Gold Member
« Reply #89 on: July 18, 2016, 02:59:52 PM »
most of the time when people begin to cite the absence of these I begin to hear stone casting Saudis getting their panties in a twist about sombody's love life or women drivers.

It was difficult to delete such creative writing but this last statement is fantastic and needs a applause. 

:aok thumbs up will have to do.