Author Topic: What's with these "Millenials"?  (Read 5954 times)

Offline Rich46yo

• Platinum Member
Re: What's with these "Millenials"?
« Reply #90 on: July 18, 2016, 08:24:23 PM »
I remember a world without color TV.
"flying the aircraft of the Red Star"

Offline Traveler

• Gold Member
      • 113th Lucky Strikes
« Reply #91 on: July 19, 2016, 08:53:34 AM »
I remember a world with no TV.
Traveler
Executive Officer
113th LUcky Strikes
http://www.hitechcreations.com/wiki/index.php/113th_Lucky_Strikes

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #92 on: July 19, 2016, 08:56:29 AM »
I remember having no world at all.
But then I said "Let There Be Light" ... and it went downhill from there ...  :uhoh
Steam: DrKalv
E:D Snailman

Offline Hungry

• Nickel Member
« Reply #93 on: July 19, 2016, 09:09:27 AM »
I remember a world with no TV, but it was our choice, out the door and on the run, there was a whole big relatively safe world out there to explore and experience
"I would gladly pay you Tuesday for a Hamburger today"

Offline TheBug

• Platinum Member
« Reply #94 on: July 19, 2016, 09:15:34 AM »
It's still out there.
“It's a big ocean, you don't have to find the enemy if you don't want to."
  -Richard O'Kane

Offline Zimme83

• Gold Member
« Reply #95 on: July 19, 2016, 09:39:15 AM »
World is safer now than ever before, only difference is how the bad thing is presented to us. It used to be 5 mins on the news and then in the newspaper, now it is everywhere all the time.
''The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge'' - Stephen Hawking

Offline Ramesis

• Silver Member
« Reply #96 on: July 19, 2016, 03:25:05 PM »
World is safer now than ever before, only difference is how the bad thing is presented to us. It used to be 5 mins on the news and then in the newspaper, now it is everywhere all the time.

This begs the question. Why then are the parents of today
so protective of their kids?
Ram
"Would you tell me, please,
 which way I ought to go from here?
 That depends a good deal on where
 you want to get to. Said the cat."
    Charles Lutwidge Dodgson a.k.a. Lewis Carroll

Offline Wiley

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #97 on: July 19, 2016, 03:27:12 PM »
Ram

Because on some fundamental level, they refuse to believe it.  Everything's out to get us all, regardless of what the statistics say.

Wiley.
If you think you are having a 1v1 in the Main Arena, your SA has failed you.

JG11

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #98 on: July 19, 2016, 03:29:51 PM »
Ram

Probably partly because of what Zimme described - the bad stuff " is everywhere all the time."
The perception of levels of safety/danger are very much subjective.
Steam: DrKalv
E:D Snailman

Offline Zimme83

• Gold Member
« Reply #99 on: July 19, 2016, 04:02:40 PM »
The safer we get the more afraid we become - sort of.

in fact we are so safe now that most people have never encountered 'Death or disaster', unlike the good ol' Days were 20 % of kids never reached the age of 5. I meet a lot of people on the hospital that cannot cope with their 95 year old relative is going to die, because they have never experienced it Before. Death is no longer a natural part of our Lives.
We also tends to be more afraid of things that are unfamiliar, we are more scared of terrorists than of our neighbour despite the fact that its much more likely that our neighbour will hurt us.

The World is not collapsing, its just the way it feels.
''The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge'' - Stephen Hawking

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #100 on: July 19, 2016, 04:23:32 PM »
I see people who think they love this country, lower our Flag for almost anything that happens today. The Flag is to be lowered on the passing of Heads Of State.

Folks doing so otherwise are showing disrespect for our Flag and our Country.
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

Offline bustr

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #101 on: July 20, 2016, 06:48:08 PM »
The article linked from Patrick Deneen, Minding the Campus, February 2, 2016. At least for America, can help us to not apply a blanket label called "millennial". Instead look at a process that has been in place to achieve an outcome for fitting this generation into another culture some of us do not agree with, which elevates the denial of America as a core principle to fitting in.

Calling them millennials does both sides a disservice since not all of them fit the model most see in their mind when they hear "millennial". The greater grievance which seems to be lost upon the millennial generation, is their lack of common western classical knowledge and social norms which has been required up until their generation, to maintain the unique culture called America. The 100 great works of western civilization are no longer required reading or encountered in most public institutions other than as a component of a specialized degree.

They seem to be very conflicted on what is America, what is an American, and lack any attachment to the visceral national identity of being an American. So at this point, we might as well be south america, china, or even syria from their point of view so long as they have jobs, the internet and what ever else gets them through the day.

http://www.mindingthecampus.org/2016/02/how-a-generation-lost-its-common-culture/     
bustr - POTW 1st Wing

This is like the old joke that voters are harsher to their beer brewer if he has an outage, than their politicians after raising their taxes. Death and taxes are certain but, fun and sex is only now.

Offline caldera

• Platinum Member
« Reply #102 on: July 20, 2016, 07:00:10 PM »
I see people who think they love this country, lower our Flag for almost anything that happens today. The Flag is to be lowered on the passing of Heads Of State.

Folks doing so otherwise are showing disrespect for our Flag and our Country.

Maybe it's not proper flag etiquette, but lowering the flag for policemen murdered in the line of duty seems more worthy than it does for the death of a politician.
"Then out spake brave Horatius, the Captain of the gate:
 To every man upon this earth, death cometh soon or late.
 And how can man die better, than facing fearful odds.
 For the ashes of his fathers and the temples of his Gods."

Offline Zimme83

• Gold Member
« Reply #103 on: July 20, 2016, 08:01:50 PM »
Don't know the rules in the US but over here it's appropriate to lower the flag as a sign of mourning even if it's 'only' a family member.

Offline branch37

• Silver Member
      • VF-17 Jolly Rogers
« Reply #104 on: July 20, 2016, 08:26:23 PM »
The article linked from Patrick Deneen, Minding the Campus, February 2, 2016. At least for America, can help us to not apply a blanket label called "millennial". Instead look at a process that has been in place to achieve an outcome for fitting this generation into another culture some of us do not agree with, which elevates the denial of America as a core principle to fitting in.

Calling them millennials does both sides a disservice since not all of them fit the model most see in their mind when they hear "millennial". The greater grievance which seems to be lost upon the millennial generation, is their lack of common western classical knowledge and social norms which has been required up until their generation, to maintain the unique culture called America. The 100 great works of western civilization are no longer required reading or encountered in most public institutions other than as a component of a specialized degree.

They seem to be very conflicted on what is America, what is an American, and lack any attachment to the visceral national identity of being an American. So at this point, we might as well be south america, china, or even syria from their point of view so long as they have jobs, the internet and what ever else gets them through the day.

http://www.mindingthecampus.org/2016/02/how-a-generation-lost-its-common-culture/     

Most of the classic literature pieces are banned from public schools for being "offensive".  I'll leave it at that, but that brings up another point about my generation.  When did everybody become so frickin sensitive??  Somebody hurt your feelings?  Who cares!?!  Sort it out and move on.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2016, 10:51:19 PM by branch37 »

CMDR Branch37
VF-17 Jolly Rogers  C.O.