Author Topic: FOV view Default  (Read 4600 times)

Offline hitech

• Administrator
  • Administrator
      • http://www.hitechcreations.com
Re: FOV view Default
« Reply #15 on: July 13, 2016, 01:36:26 PM »
Is this like saying our head is a camera, FOV changes the focus while the Pgup\Pgdn, arrow keys changes where the camera is located in the cockpit? And the numpad, mouse or TR changes where the camera is pointed?

Correct except "FOV changes the focus while" should read "FOV changes the zoom"

HiTech

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
« Reply #16 on: July 13, 2016, 02:29:06 PM »
I see what you are saying but it is like having your hand in front of your eyes.  The closer you move the hand to your eyes the less you can see.

Moving your head forward at the same FOV is different from changing FOV with your head position the same. Your example uses the same FOV and a different head to hand distance.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2016, 02:42:20 PM by FLS »

Offline Randy1

• Platinum Member
« Reply #17 on: July 13, 2016, 03:41:44 PM »
It's dosn't work like that, changing the field of view does not bring your hand closer, it is like looking threw a zoom lens at your hand , then adjusting zoom. What is in the back ground will not move as compared to your hand by zooming a lens.

HiTech
I hope you see this as a discussion.  Not as criticism. What ever AH3 uses I will still play the game.  Newbies just need every break they can get.

I must have used a bad analogy but the front frame size appears to be larger at 80 FOV than at 90 FOV as seen on the screen if you use the same head position.  A measurable difference in size.  Much like my hand example where your hand looks bigger as it gets closer to your eyes but the hand is the still the same size.  Now why it looks bigger?  I bow to your expertise.

Now if there was a single FOV setting for everyone, then this post becomes mute.

If a red is flying across the frame then no big deal but if the red pulls up, and you pull up to set up a shot, the chances of the red icon being hidden by the cockpit frame is greater at 80 FOV than it is at 90.  Again, this is using the same head position in both FOV settings.

Offline hitech

• Administrator
  • Administrator
« Reply #18 on: July 13, 2016, 03:54:11 PM »
I hope you see this as a discussion.  Not as criticism. What ever AH3 uses I will still play the game.  Newbies just need every break they can get.

I must have used a bad analogy but the front frame size appears to be larger at 80 FOV than at 90 FOV as seen on the screen if you use the same head position.  A measurable difference in size.  Much like my hand example where your hand looks bigger as it gets closer to your eyes but the hand is the still the same size.  Now why it looks bigger?  I bow to your expertise.

Now if there was a single FOV setting for everyone, then this post becomes mute.

If a red is flying across the frame then no big deal but if the red pulls up, and you pull up to set up a shot, the chances of the red icon being hidden by the cockpit frame is greater at 80 FOV than it is at 90.  Again, this is using the same head position in both FOV settings.

Randy I am not speaking which way you prefer. I am simply speaking to the facts of how it works. When you press the Z key in AH the bars also get bigger, butthey do not cover any more angular area (I.E. head more icons) , wait , back up, are you speaking of when the icon is turned on or off, or are you speaking the % of text being covered up? Yes more or less text is covered, but that also changes when you change Icon size.

If you are speaking of when AH turns the icon off when it is behind the bar, then FOV is completely 100% irreverent, in fact the code that does it, does not even know about FOV.

HiTech

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
« Reply #19 on: July 13, 2016, 07:31:18 PM »
Randy the cockpit bar gets bigger and the bandit gets bigger by the same amount. There is no disadvantage. FOV settings are always a tradeoff. There is no best setting for everyone. There is only personal preference.

Offline Chilli

• Platinum Member
« Reply #20 on: July 14, 2016, 03:14:20 AM »
So.............   :confused: my wishlist "tiny arrows" skirting edge of the screen is ........ out of the question.....????   :bolt:

Offline Randy1

• Platinum Member
« Reply #21 on: July 14, 2016, 06:39:37 AM »
Hitech and FLS thanks for your replies.  I am talking about with icons on.

Offline terrydew

• Copper Member
« Reply #22 on: July 14, 2016, 08:45:44 AM »
Hi Tech

Assuming a 65" 4K screen 40" from eye, what fov would produce life size. I.e. The bars in the p38 would look the same to you as if you were sitting in the real aircraft?

Thanks
Terry

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
« Reply #23 on: July 14, 2016, 08:55:32 AM »
Terry have you tried setting the FOV to match the angle of your visual field blocked by the monitor?

Offline hitech

• Administrator
  • Administrator
« Reply #24 on: July 14, 2016, 09:28:13 AM »
Hi Tech

Assuming a 65" 4K screen 40" from eye, what fov would produce life size. I.e. The bars in the p38 would look the same to you as if you were sitting in the real aircraft?

Thanks
Terry

tan((Width / 2) / Dist) * 2

I.E atan(32.5 / 40) * 2 = 78 Deg

And screen resolution has no effect on the calculation.

HiTech

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
« Reply #25 on: July 14, 2016, 10:10:39 AM »
As tv's are measured  diagonally is that correct? Do you use the diagonal measurement or the actual width of the screen?

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
« Reply #26 on: July 14, 2016, 10:17:26 AM »
Use width for FOV.

Offline hitech

• Administrator
  • Administrator
« Reply #27 on: July 14, 2016, 10:23:10 AM »
As tv's are measured  diagonally is that correct? Do you use the diagonal measurement or the actual width of the screen?

My equation needs the width. which is 4/5 the diagonal on an HD tv. Instead of 65" Diaganol  52" width  should be used.

So FOV would be 66 Deg.

HiTech

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
« Reply #28 on: July 14, 2016, 10:30:46 AM »
If you want to match the 80 degree FOV you can figure the distance your eyes should be from the screen.

Going back to Randy's comment about a best FOV, if you set a wide FOV like 106-120 for SA you can still zoom in to the 1:1 life size view.

You can set your 1:1 FOV and take a screenshot in the cockpit then save it so you know what you should see when you zoom in, then set FOV back to your SA view.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2016, 10:47:12 AM by FLS »

Offline mustng2

• Copper Member
« Reply #29 on: July 14, 2016, 10:53:51 AM »
Excel sheet attached to do the calcs.  Although at first I thought the fov was coming up too low to be realistic on that size screen it seemed correct after taking into account your field of view outside the tv screen which of course is not shown in the game.