Author Topic: FOV view Default  (Read 4648 times)

Offline mustng2

• Copper Member
Re: FOV view Default
« Reply #60 on: July 16, 2016, 08:36:19 AM »
I think he is referring to VR equipment which changes much more than just fov.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2016, 08:42:02 AM by mustng2 »

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
« Reply #61 on: July 16, 2016, 09:31:58 AM »
Since no FOV setting has any advantage over any other FOV setting per FLS, why would your SA improve?

That's not what I said. I said every setting is a trade off and seeing more of your surroundings in each view direction improves SA. Seeing more detail of the bandit also improves SA but in a different way. That's why I said there is no best FOV, there is just personal preference.

Skuzzy's point is likely that the perception of being "in" the cockpit with a 1:1 "real" view will also enhance SA. I assume this is because it matches our real world experience in a way that monitors can't.

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
« Reply #62 on: July 16, 2016, 11:30:30 AM »
Since no FOV setting has any advantage over any other FOV setting per FLS, why would your SA improve?

Yes, I think he was referring to the VR stuff. You use TrackIR, how much better do you think your SA went up when you switched from keyboard views to TrackIR?

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
« Reply #63 on: July 16, 2016, 01:20:41 PM »
Randy the easy solution to the cockpit frame blocking your view is head movement not FOV. You can set up the forward view with an offset head position and instantly look behind the cockpit frame with a button press.

Offline Randy1

• Platinum Member
« Reply #64 on: July 17, 2016, 06:50:38 AM »
Randy the easy solution to the cockpit frame blocking your view is head movement not FOV. You can set up the forward view with an offset head position and instantly look behind the cockpit frame with a button press.

The point completely missed is the frame size covers a larger percent of the screen using lower fov setting.  Again it is a disadvantage to a newer player fls especially a new player without the disadvantage of trackir.

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
« Reply #65 on: July 17, 2016, 07:05:05 AM »
The point completely missed is the frame size covers a larger percent of the screen using lower fov setting.  Again it is a disadvantage to a newer player fls especially a new player without the disadvantage of trackir.

Nobody missed your point.  You are in effect claiming that looking at something with binoculars makes it harder to see. Your theory is incorrect. What Hitech and I both explained to you already is that the aircraft behind the cockpit frame is also larger so it makes no difference. I also explained the quick and easy method new players can use to look behind the cockpit frame without TrackIR. 

Offline Randy1

• Platinum Member
« Reply #66 on: July 18, 2016, 06:03:50 AM »
FLS what FOV do you use in ah2 and beta?

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
« Reply #67 on: July 18, 2016, 06:38:58 AM »
My FOV varies. I generally use 120 or 112 and zoom in to about 80-100 for general flying around. I like a wider FOV near the ground because it looks "faster" and when I want to see more with less head movement.  I think the 262 Alpha video was 112. https://youtu.be/EmYpYfz6A50

I zoom in closer than 80 for detail and sometimes for non-maneuvering targets. I like having the option of zooming out to a wider FOV instead of only being able to zoom in closer.

With VR I expect I'll want a natural FOV most of the time.

Offline bustr

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #68 on: July 18, 2016, 11:41:43 AM »

Short of Hitech giving us an invisible cockpit, can you describe with Hitech's current process, how he would solve the issue you are telling us is a problem?

Issue -  A default FOV of 80 in one player's opinion is a disadvantage to newer players due to the increased size perspective of canopy structures and features blocking the available view area out of the canopy.

A function of FOV  - FOV is the same as toggling Zoom to that FOV and then playing the game with it toggled. No matter the FOV the player is using, the time it will take for a con to pass through the width of a canopy bar or structure and become visible again will be the same for all players.

The higher number FOV may make it easier "perceptually" for a player to be aware of where and when a con comes into view again from behind the "perceived" narrower canopy bar or structure. That player will also have a higher percentage of available view area out of the canopy without manipulation of his view direction. The lower number FOV will make canopy bars and structures wider or larger with a "perceived" sense of the con taking a long time to travel the width. While the large canopy bars and structures will show the player less of the available view area forcing him to make more changes to his view direction to compensate. This may be at the root of what Randy is trying to communicate.

I can offer one solution if this really is a problem, and Hitech won't have to invent a whole new view system. A default FOV of 85-90.

bustr - POTW 1st Wing

This is like the old joke that voters are harsher to their beer brewer if he has an outage, than their politicians after raising their taxes. Death and taxes are certain but, fun and sex is only now.

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
      • HiTech Creations Home Page
« Reply #69 on: July 18, 2016, 02:22:36 PM »

I was referring to the use of the VR headsets.  It makes a huge difference in your ability to maintain SA.
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese
support@hitechcreations.com

Offline Chilli

• Platinum Member
« Reply #70 on: July 18, 2016, 02:40:52 PM »
Bustr,
It is just simply going to be a point of discussion that will not go away.  85-90 does not include enough peripheral view to adequately track in combat without TrackIR or VR movement of some type.  I like how FLS describes his use of broader FOV, but his default position in the cockpit is zoomed to 80-100 for normal flying.

Without creating anything new, HiTech has given us two other options.  There is the F11 mode icon selection motion tracker, and there is the mouse look.

We have also discussed the desire to grow community numbers.  The retention of new players is vital, the longevity of averages for player involvement demands new blood.  The learning curve for the new player is steep but not unusual for a niche genre, WW2 era Aircraft and vehicles.  VR headsets will hopefully expand the influx and experience of playing.......

BUT:

The best possible solution for a new player's convenience would be a default FOV much wider (non VR headset users), and a default zoom back to 80.

Edit:  Note, making the 1:1 zoom a default setting, will in effect, make the statement this is what size your target SHOULD be (at a button press).
« Last Edit: July 18, 2016, 03:47:43 PM by Chilli »

Offline Hungry

• Nickel Member
« Reply #71 on: July 18, 2016, 02:50:07 PM »
So to further compete I have to have VR to get the same available views as those who do or at the very least Track IR?

Being sarcastic but how much does it help?

PS you had to know someone was going to ask right?
"I would gladly pay you Tuesday for a Hamburger today"

Offline bustr

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #72 on: July 18, 2016, 03:07:13 PM »
I was referring to the use of the VR headsets.  It makes a huge difference in your ability to maintain SA.

Someone said this just about verbatim years ago(2003??) when TR was the new spiffy thing to replace the hat switch. I'm personally waiting for a VR system like in the anime SAO... :O

EMOTIV looks like the beginning of getting there in the real world. Hope they make it in my life time.
bustr - POTW 1st Wing

This is like the old joke that voters are harsher to their beer brewer if he has an outage, than their politicians after raising their taxes. Death and taxes are certain but, fun and sex is only now.

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
      • HiTech Creations Home Page
« Reply #73 on: July 18, 2016, 03:27:33 PM »
So to further compete I have to have VR to get the same available views as those who do or at the very least Track IR?

Being sarcastic but how much does it help?

PS you had to know someone was going to ask right?

I am a horrible pilot in this game.  Without the headset I truly suck at it.  When I put the headset on, then ability to track a target by just looking at it and not have to deal with manipulating views with my thumbs makes the plane more stable, which then improved my gunnery.

It was a quantum leap forward for me.  I was really blown away by how much of a difference it made.

Once you are free to look around in the cockpit, and precisely hold your view in an 1:1 view system, it just makes everything so much easier.

You get the same views as someone using only a hat switch, but you have more precise control over those views as compared to someone only using a hat switch.
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese
support@hitechcreations.com

Offline Hungry

• Nickel Member
« Reply #74 on: July 18, 2016, 03:40:58 PM »
You get the same views as someone using only a hat switch, but you have more precise control over those views as compared to someone only using a hat switch.

Thanks I appreciate the feedback
"I would gladly pay you Tuesday for a Hamburger today"