Author Topic: Windows 10 and CH gear  (Read 1584 times)

Offline aztec

• Silver Member
Windows 10 and CH gear
« on: July 13, 2016, 08:09:39 AM »
Since I had Windows 10 installed I am having problems with the game recognizing my component inputs even though they showed in the map controllers window.

I had no clue where to begin so I started swapping usb inputs for the controllers around and managed to get stick and throttle to work but still no rudder. I have since tested all USB inputs and they work fine.

So now I'm stymied and figured I'd try an old trick that used to work with CH analog gear...I removed them from Windows, shut down, turned back on and let windows reinstall them.

Well happy happy joy joy it worked. I reset all my buttons and went into the LW arena after a year and a half layoff. Had a great time but all good things must come to an end and RL reared it's ugly head so had to log off and go run some errands. When I got back, anxious to fly somemore I in log and and nothing works again. This time I got pissed and canceled my account.

So this morning I figured I've got to try this one more time before packing it all up and calling it quits after 15 years.

This time I phsyically disconnected all my components and THEN removed them from Windows...then I shut down. When I rebooted everything worked again. Happy happy joy joy...but wait, I've been here before. So I tried shutting the game down and restarting it...cool, everything still working. So I decided to give it the acid test...I shut down my system...waited a few, rebooted and quess what, nothing.

So something about shutting down the computer is deleting my controls,WTF. At this point I have no idea what to do and really hate to be conquered and give up after 15 years of AH.

If anyone might have any Idea what I'm up against PLEASE HELP!. Thank you in advance,  :salute aztec

Offline Bizman

• Plutonium Member
Re: Windows 10 and CH gear
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2016, 08:56:15 AM »
I'm afraid the first six words in your post tell the culprit:
Since I had Windows 10 installed

If it's a Win10 issue, the only way to deal with it is to wait for Windows Update to magically fix it some day.

A workaround might be to unplug all your gaming gear before shutting the computer down and plug them when Windows is up and running again. That way your gear should be reinstalled every time. If that works, you might be able to make life even easier by plugging your gaming gear into a (powered!!!) USB hub, leaving you only one device to unplug at shutdown. A powered one for two reasons: First, one single USB port doesn't have enough amperes to feed all your devices and second, there's no easy way to tell if your motherboard actually can feed them all, Win10 possibly being more anal about it. A powered USB hub might even solve the entire problem, who knows. Worth spending some $25 in any case.
Quote from: BaldEagl, applies to myself, too
I've got an older system by today's standards that still runs the game well by my standards.

Kotisivuni

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2016, 09:06:25 AM »
If nobody here has a solution try the CH forum.  It's most likely a Win10 problem not an AH problem.

Offline TequilaChaser

• AH Training Corps - Retired
  • Plutonium Member
      • The Damned - founded by Ptero in 1988
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2016, 10:19:50 AM »
aztec, have you checked to make sure that you have your USB ports set to be "power: always on" ?

You will find the settings in control panel/power options: check the High Performance check box...then go through each individual setting and set to your liking, just be sure to check for your USB ports- power:always on

Hopefully this will resolve the issue and you will be able to retain your stick setting 's.....

Hope this helps

TC
"When one considers just what they should say to a new pilot who is logging in Aces High, the mind becomes confused in the complex maze of info it is necessary for the new player to know. All of it is important; most of it vital; and all of it just too much for one brain to absorb in 1-2 lessons" TC

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2016, 11:44:37 AM »
Did you by any chance install Control Manager prior to upgrading to Windows 10?  It is most definitely a Windows 10 + CH issue, not an AH issue.  The issues with CH Products and Windows 10 (especially with CM installed) installed is the main reason why I am moving away from CH gear.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2016, 11:46:24 AM by Ack-Ack »
"If Jesus came back as an airplane, he would be a P-38." - WW2 P-38 pilot
Elite Top Aces +1 Mexican Official Squadron Song

Offline Bruv119

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://www.thefewsquadron.co.uk
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2016, 12:10:51 PM »
since getting my free upgrade the only issue I have had with win 10 + CH hotas is every now and again my throttle is not recognised.

I open up the CH control manager, rescan for devices, check the throttle is now working then close it. Annoying for sure but takes 10 seconds to remedy. 

Stick and pedals have been fine. 
The Few ***
F.P.H

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2016, 12:13:03 PM »
since getting my free upgrade the only issue I have had with win 10 + CH hotas is every now and again my throttle is not recognised.

I open up the CH control manager, rescan for devices, check the throttle is now working then close it. Annoying for sure but takes 10 seconds to remedy. 

Stick and pedals have been fine.

Can you calibrate your CH gear in Windows 10 through Control Manager?  That's one major issue people with CH gear are having with CM in Windows 10, unable to calibrate their stick through Control Manager.
"If Jesus came back as an airplane, he would be a P-38." - WW2 P-38 pilot
Elite Top Aces +1 Mexican Official Squadron Song

Offline Bruv119

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://www.thefewsquadron.co.uk
« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2016, 12:17:56 PM »
I'll have to take another look never used the software for calibrating as in game works for me.  Not that I need to anymore because my stick is rock solid.
The Few ***
F.P.H

Offline Traveler

• Gold Member
      • 113th Lucky Strikes
« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2016, 04:44:08 PM »
I have no issues with Windows 10.  I use CH peddles and a Microsoft Sidewinder Pro 2 stick and TrackIR.   I leave everything plugged in and I turn my computer off and on with no issues.    What other software are you running, have you altered Config or any of the startup software?  I Upgraded from Windows 8.1 to 10 with no issues.
Traveler
Executive Officer
113th LUcky Strikes
http://www.hitechcreations.com/wiki/index.php/113th_Lucky_Strikes

Offline Tumor

• Platinum Member
      • Wait For It
« Reply #9 on: July 13, 2016, 09:45:20 PM »
Had similar problems awhile back.  Can't remember exactly what the process was, but I got it by doing a Google search, so it's out there.  I think it was Device Manager... go in there and click View, then "Show Hidden Devices".  I went through and uninstalled/deleted everything that was grey'd out under HID and USB devices (and note, I think I found multiple installations of the stuff we're talking about to).  Then reboot/reinstalled everything.  Again, I'm getting old man memory but, I have no problems with CH CM or Equipment at all under Win10... any more.
"Dogfighting is useless"  :Erich Hartmann

Offline Tumor

• Platinum Member
      • Wait For It
« Reply #10 on: July 13, 2016, 09:46:58 PM »
aztec, have you checked to make sure that you have your USB ports set to be "power: always on" ?

You will find the settings in control panel/power options: check the High Performance check box...then go through each individual setting and set to your liking, just be sure to check for your USB ports- power:always on

Hopefully this will resolve the issue and you will be able to retain your stick setting 's.....

Hope this helps

TC

FWIW aztec... I futzed around with this stuff as well, and found I had a USB hub that was wore out... but, that part was the EASY fix.
"Dogfighting is useless"  :Erich Hartmann

Offline Estes

• Gold Member
« Reply #11 on: July 13, 2016, 10:03:23 PM »
While this may or may not be applicable in your case I found this out after a lot of frustration myself several years back although it was on windows 7 but you by any chance using USB 3.0 ports? My x52 I had didnt like them at all.

Offline aztec

• Silver Member
« Reply #12 on: July 14, 2016, 12:06:46 PM »
Well guys thanks for all the input...I sure appreciate it. I guess I've gotten too old to screw with all this stuff...I don't even know what a 3.0 usb port is. I yanked everything out and threw it in the corner...it's been a good run guys,  :salute :cheers: to everyone   aztec out.

Offline Hungry

• Nickel Member
« Reply #13 on: July 14, 2016, 12:16:11 PM »
Well guys thanks for all the input...I sure appreciate it. I guess I've gotten too old to screw with all this stuff...I don't even know what a 3.0 usb port is. I yanked everything out and threw it in the corner...it's been a good run guys,  :salute :cheers: to everyone   aztec out.

Aztec

I think I remember you from the old AW days, don't do anything hasty, I'm sure  one of these snappy young guys in your area could help out. 

"I would gladly pay you Tuesday for a Hamburger today"

Offline Estes

• Gold Member
« Reply #14 on: July 15, 2016, 03:13:19 PM »
http://www.techspot.com/guides/235-everything-about-usb-30/