Author Topic: MS Sidewinder and Win 7  (Read 979 times)

Offline Vraciu

• Plutonium Member
MS Sidewinder and Win 7
« on: August 01, 2016, 11:30:19 AM »
I used to be able to calibrate my MS Sidewinder via the Control Panel but it is no longer showing under devices.

Is in-game calibration sufficient or do I need to install some sort of generic driver to calibrate outside the game?
”KILLER V”
Charter Member of the P-51 Mustang Skin Mafia
- THE DAMNED -
King of the Hill Champ Tour 219 - Win Percentage 100
"1v1 Skyyr might be the best pilot ever to play the game." - Via PM, Name Redacted

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
      • HiTech Creations Home Page
Re: MS Sidewinder and Win 7
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2016, 11:50:31 AM »
Try going to Windows Start, then Run "joy.cpl" and make sure the stick shows up there.  If it is there, you should be able to calibrate it in the game and use it.
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese
support@hitechcreations.com

Offline nrshida

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2016, 11:57:48 AM »
I'm glad this was asked and answered. The core of my joystick project is built around a Sidewinder!  :banana:

”It's a shame that he's gone, but the shame is entirely his”
HiTech 2 - Skyyr 0

Offline Vraciu

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2016, 02:04:09 PM »
Try going to Windows Start, then Run "joy.cpl" and make sure the stick shows up there.  If it is there, you should be able to calibrate it in the game and use it.

It is not showing in that list.    :headscratch:
”KILLER V”
- THE DAMNED -
"1v1 Skyyr might be the best pilot ever to play the game." - Via PM, Name Redacted

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
      • HiTech Creations Home Page
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2016, 02:18:39 PM »
It is not showing in that list.    :headscratch:

That means Windows is not seeing it at all.  I assume it is the USB based Sidewinder (rare) and not the game port Sidewinder.  The game port version will only work with Windows XP, or older OS's.

There used to be a USB adapter for those old game ports sticks, but they were iffy, at best.
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese
support@hitechcreations.com

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2016, 02:20:26 PM »
Windows has discontinued support of gameport devices and joysticks. I know that my trusted generation-1 Sidewinder will no longer work. There are some sorta-pricey gameport-to-USB adapters that somebody makes and sells online, but they are the only thing that might let you pull it off.

Offline Vraciu

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2016, 02:36:48 PM »
That means Windows is not seeing it at all.  I assume it is the USB based Sidewinder (rare) and not the game port Sidewinder.  The game port version will only work with Windows XP, or older OS's.

There used to be a USB adapter for those old game ports sticks, but they were iffy, at best.

USB, yes.

”KILLER V”
- THE DAMNED -

Offline Vraciu

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2016, 02:37:33 PM »
Windows has discontinued support of gameport devices and joysticks. I know that my trusted generation-1 Sidewinder will no longer work. There are some sorta-pricey gameport-to-USB adapters that somebody makes and sells online, but they are the only thing that might let you pull it off.

Amazing that this thing is probably the best product MS ever made and they abandoned it.   Just silly.  But I guess that's an example of why they are almost-universally detested.
”KILLER V”
- THE DAMNED -

Offline TequilaChaser

• AH Training Corps - Retired
  • Plutonium Member
      • The Damned - founded by Ptero in 1988
« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2016, 02:52:55 PM »
Is it the USB version Sidewinder stick, you have?

As for still using gameport controllers with a game port to USB adapter... I am still using my 22 year old CH products (non pro version) gameport rudder pedals with a 4 selectable options gameport to USB adapter in Windows 7 ult. and in Windows 8.1 Pro, both in AH2 and in the AH beta, with no problems....

I was able to rig my old CH Fighter stick and pro throttle that was game port hook-up via using my old Thrustmaster Gaming pci slot dual gameport connection with speed adjustment dial for a short time back in the early months of Windows 7....

It was a task to get it to work and even harder to help talk others through the process of getting it to work over the phone.... I finally gave up and used the last two gameport ch hotas systems for spare parts... I gave 2 or 3 of those setups away during the end days of winxp switch to Windows 7 (had others donate/give their gameport setups to me to donate to the community)

That was a while ago....

I would like to get some of those ? VKB rudder pedals like GMan is using, since they work like my old ch pedals...no push/pull... they are more precise movements using your ankles, more
Than your legs...

Sorry  about that, I got on a rambling rant there

TC
« Last Edit: August 01, 2016, 03:45:29 PM by TequilaChaser »
"When one considers just what they should say to a new pilot who is logging in Aces High, the mind becomes confused in the complex maze of info it is necessary for the new player to know. All of it is important; most of it vital; and all of it just too much for one brain to absorb in 1-2 lessons" TC

Offline nrshida

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #9 on: August 01, 2016, 02:55:47 PM »
Amazing that this thing is probably the best product MS ever made and they abandoned it.   Just silly.  But I guess that's an example of why they are almost-universally detested.

I agree. I've disected both versions and the design and execution is first rate. Probably relatively expensive to produce.

”It's a shame that he's gone, but the shame is entirely his”
HiTech 2 - Skyyr 0

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #10 on: August 01, 2016, 03:56:58 PM »
I've dissected mine and modified it to improve the button layout. I like the idea -- optical sensor that never wears out. However, the electronics in the sensor can get jittery over time and my "center" wobbled and had a bit of an asymmetrical dead zone on it. It worked, and worked well, but it wasn't great.

I also dislike how MS was at the time trying to improve on the old analog inputs for gameport. They turned it into some quasi-pre-USB interface that took special drivers and support. You couldn't just map the pins with voltage outputs like any other gameport design. This is why the sidewinders were notorious for not working with USB adapter devices and why you need an adapter specifically built for the sidewinder. it's a nice device but I think if it had continued support throughout the years it would have been as legendary as CH Pro even today.

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
« Reply #11 on: August 01, 2016, 04:45:08 PM »

For gameport -> USB adapters, I would only recommend those from Rockfire or Radio Shack.  Those two work well.
"If Jesus came back as an airplane, he would be a P-38." - WW2 P-38 pilot
Elite Top Aces +1 Mexican Official Squadron Song

Offline Vraciu

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #12 on: August 01, 2016, 05:24:51 PM »
Can I do anything to get Win 7 to recognize it?
”KILLER V”
- THE DAMNED -

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
"If Jesus came back as an airplane, he would be a P-38." - WW2 P-38 pilot
Elite Top Aces +1 Mexican Official Squadron Song