Author Topic: Looking forward to AH III and other flight sim stuff!  (Read 2496 times)

Offline BFOOT1

• Silver Member
Re: Looking forward to AH III and other flight sim stuff!
« Reply #45 on: August 04, 2016, 04:43:58 PM »
I figure I should address a few things which I hope will not cause further drama.  I will try hard not to do so, but I will also give you my honest perspective and this will no doubt rub some the wrong way.  I sincerely apologize for this in advance.

First, I'm not here to recruit players away.  The idea I'm trying to steal players away is laughable.  I realize some of you do not frequent other forums or play other games, but DCS, BoS and CLoD really do not have a shortage of players.   

Second, I like air combat sims and am passionate about them. I assumed others here shared that passion, but I see the passion here for many is only for Aces High.  Fair enough, it is a great game at its heart.  If you like steak and want to eat steak all the time I think you should!  I like a bit more variety in my diet but that's my call as well.  To each there own, live and let live, and all that jazz.

Third,  I am here because I decided to try the beta again and found to my surprise I really like where the game is going.  The beta is a little bit more than just the re-skin of the engine I assumed it would be and I think I can see where some of the changes will address player concerns.

So why not just sign up now?  Why wait for AHIII? 

Here is where my honesty will ruffle feathers, but I don't see any reason why I should tiptoe around these points.

AHII is boring.  The graphics and the sounds (even with soundpacks) are 10 years old at best.  There are no clouds or weather effects and the terrain looks like something lifted from the original Combat Mission.  The flight model is good for what it is, but is a pale shadow of even the least accurate sim FMs I regularly play.  So not much so far to motivate me to pony up 15 bucks a month.

I know that AH's big selling point isn't graphics or FM but the massive-multiplayer aspects of the game. The only problem is there are not currently enough players to take advantage of this.  I remember how big the maps are, and I can guess what a player population of ~150 users will look like.  Sorry if this hurts your feelings guys, but if I want to fly around and not encounter anyone to shoot I'll just fire up Hyperlobby and connect to a IL-2 1946 server.  I can do that for free and save 15 dollars.  I can also get on the ATAG, Wings of Liberty or the 104th Phoenix servers on a good night and be in a big fight in 5-10 minutes tops.  And again, I can do this for free, so do the math.

I could go into other things that are turn-offs, but the post above says it better than I can.

Personally, I think the beta will attract many players back.  I am excited about AH III.  More players will allow the massive-multiplayer aspect to shine.  That's what made AH fun, and that is why I would choose to play it over my other games.  AH III's tweaking the map sizes and update the graphics engine to something approaching current minimum standards is icing on the cake.  So once it's out, I'm back in.  Until then, no can do.   If you have a problem with it, well, I think you can guess how much I care about that.

Again, if I have offended anyone with my candor I sincerely apologize and wish you all the best.   :salute

Thanks Krup.  No need to get yourself in trouble over me, but I appreciate the support.  :salute

Yes and no.  That's from a running map on the server that is available 24x7, not an "event" like AvA.    The map and mission changes every 4 hours or earlier if one team completes it's objectives.  Essentially it is similar to the MA, but has some AvA elements to it. 

Right now there are 65 people on the ATAG main server. The server can handle up to 100.   Doesn't seem like much in comparison to AH, but the maps are somewhat smaller and there are other factors that keep it interesting. 

For IL-2 Battle of Stalingrad the top populated server is Wings of Liberty in Russia.  Very similar setup to the ATAG server, but they have much more impressive statistic information for players if you are into that sort of thing.

Again, it won't replace your Aces High addition, nor am I trying to recruit anyone!  But if you like to try different combat sims like I do I think you will find it fun.  Sometimes it is nice to eat something other than steak!  ;)
If you want something that's not boring, and has clouds, then I recommend trying the scenario this October. It's a one day event, and it's based in North Africa, 1943. Come try it out, and see what ya think :salute
Member of G3MF
III Gruppe, 8 Staffel, JG52, flying Black 12 (Kuban Scenario)

Offline Invictus84

• Copper Member
« Reply #46 on: August 04, 2016, 05:25:02 PM »
If you want something that's not boring, and has clouds, then I recommend trying the scenario this October. It's a one day event, and it's based in North Africa, 1943. Come try it out, and see what ya think :salute
I guess we could go with the narrative that Invictus is some troll seeking to siphon off our player base...  But... He also might just be a guy who is enthusiastic about flight Sims in general and might be a fun addition to our community when AH3 comes out if we don't burn him at the stake before it gets here.
Thanks for the invite and  :salute

Offline Invictus84

• Copper Member
« Reply #47 on: August 04, 2016, 05:32:25 PM »
So what about the sandles ?

Sandles and socks are cool, as long as I get to wear a really loud tropical shirt, cheap sun glasses, old man shorts, a fanny pack and one of those floppy straw hats.  ;)

Offline zack1234

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #48 on: August 05, 2016, 02:10:40 AM »
It's an abomination !
There are no pies stored in this plane overnight

The GFC
Pipz lived in the Wilderness near Ontario

Offline BFOOT1

• Silver Member
« Reply #49 on: August 05, 2016, 07:23:15 AM »
Thanks for the invite and  :salute
In all serious if you're interested in trying it out pm me. There are fighter and bomber groups for each side. There are CO's for the groups, written orders, and a detailed attack and defense plan. :salute
Member of G3MF

Offline Invictus84

• Copper Member
« Reply #50 on: August 05, 2016, 09:51:07 AM »
PM sent sir.   :)

:salute

Offline BFOOT1

• Silver Member
« Reply #51 on: August 05, 2016, 10:38:43 AM »
PM sent sir.   :)

:salute
Received sir! This is gonna be fun!
Member of G3MF

Offline FLOOB

• Gold Member
« Reply #52 on: August 10, 2016, 01:13:59 AM »
I heard AH III will be y2k compliant.
“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans” - John Steinbeck

Offline zack1234

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #53 on: August 10, 2016, 01:56:00 AM »
There are no pies stored in this plane overnight

The GFC
Pipz lived in the Wilderness near Ontario

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #54 on: August 10, 2016, 09:16:39 AM »
The scenario should be great fun. Hope you can make it.

80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

Offline Invictus84

• Copper Member
« Reply #55 on: August 10, 2016, 09:25:03 AM »
I heard AH III will be y2k compliant.

For some reason this post made me laugh out loud.   :rofl

Maybe because I am old enough to get what it means.  :frown:

Offline Vulcan

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #56 on: August 10, 2016, 05:55:59 PM »
IMHO it's a case of grass is greener on the other side:  http://forum.il2sturmovik.com/topic/15447-large-plane-formations/   

AH2 (and 3) have expansive view distances, allows very high numbers of planes in an area (last FSO was insanity, it looked like footage from the real BoB with the numbers of aircraft formed up), and their network protocol is excellent.

Offline Invictus84

• Copper Member
« Reply #57 on: August 10, 2016, 06:14:28 PM »
IMHO it's a case of grass is greener on the other side:  http://forum.il2sturmovik.com/topic/15447-large-plane-formations/   

AH2 (and 3) have expansive view distances, allows very high numbers of planes in an area (last FSO was insanity, it looked like footage from the real BoB with the numbers of aircraft formed up), and their network protocol is excellent.

Absolutely.   What you describe is AH's strength and the major reason I'm looking forward to the new version.  But don't be too quick to discount smaller engagements in other games.  They can be quite fun as well.

Offline EskimoJoe

• Platinum Member
« Reply #58 on: August 11, 2016, 12:20:38 PM »
Absolutely.   What you describe is AH's strength and the major reason I'm looking forward to the new version.  But don't be too quick to discount smaller engagements in other games.  They can be quite fun as well.

I remember playing years ago when there were 500+ ( ! ) players on the server, flying, bombing, tanking... It was great fun. I look forward to AH3 maybe restoring that former glory and greater player base. Unfortunately, a lot of the active board community are old folks that just want to argue because the whippershnappers are evil and other games are the devil, and so forth. It ain't nothin' but a thang.
Put a +1 on your geekness atribute  :aok