Author Topic: No icons for AH3  (Read 6805 times)

Offline shift8

• Copper Member
No icons for AH3
« on: August 03, 2016, 08:19:14 PM »
Im sure almost no one will agree with me, but Id like to see no icons in AH3 for the MA. Aces high has one of the best dot systems of any sim out there, and it would be awesome to be able to use it properly. For friend or foe we could have icons at 1000m or less.

Offline shotgunneeley

• Silver Member
Re: No icons for AH3
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2016, 06:41:47 AM »
Im sure almost no one will agree with me, but Id like to see no icons in AH3 for the MA. Aces high has one of the best dot systems of any sim out there, and it would be awesome to be able to use it properly. For friend or foe we could have icons at 1000m or less.

-1. Not all computers are created equal. This also undermines players with poor eyesight.

What I would like to see is for the icon to get progressively smaller as distance decreases. The icon could also fade out more when the player is directly facing a target, then fade in more when the target is not directly in front.  Sometimes that big red icon can be distracting when in firing range, especially so when I'm firing at a dark plane against dark ground as the backdrop.
"Lord, let us feel pity for Private Jenkins, and sorrow for ourselves, and all the angel warriors that fall. Let us fear death, but let it not live within us. Protect us, O Lord, and be merciful unto us. Amen"-from FALLEN ANGELS by Walter Dean Myers

Game ID: ShtGn (Inactive), Squad: 91st BG

Offline shift8

• Copper Member
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2016, 09:18:02 AM »
-1. Not all computers are created equal. This also undermines players with poor eyesight.

What I would like to see is for the icon to get progressively smaller as distance decreases. The icon could also fade out more when the player is directly facing a target, then fade in more when the target is not directly in front.  Sometimes that big red icon can be distracting when in firing range, especially so when I'm firing at a dark plane against dark ground as the backdrop.

1) so upgrade your comp already

2) Really, poor eyesight? who cares. Whats next? a box of hearing aides when you order the game?

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2016, 09:31:59 AM »
The "no icons" falsehood was propogated by an elitist faction of IL2 that proclaimed that anybody flying with icons is cheating, a lesser pilot, holds their manhood cheap compared to those that use "no icons" and so forth.

It's a blatant lie and basically just ego-stroking.

We have had discussions on these very forums before detailing the science of optics, distances and details visible at those distances. We have referenced real life air traffic personnel at airports, commercial, private, and military pilots, we have referenced anecdotal WW2 reports of being able to ID planes at distances using the fuselage codes and all of these details.

What we can see in-game is a joke compared to reality. It's nice, but it's not REALISTIC. The icons make up for a massive loss of detail that would equate to all players in this game playing like legally BLIND pilots in real life. They never would have been able to get pilots licenses at any point with eyesight like this game portrays. There are many reasons for that: including pixel dots, sizes, the need to have a wider FOV for rendering screens and depictions. The icons make up for that.

Removing the icons doesn't help gameplay at all, despite what the AvA crowd tried to push for so long. It hurts gameplay. In every respect from WW1 onwards, BFM have been a part of dogfighting. Before-Fight-Maneuvers. The posturing and positioning you undertake to get an advantage on your opponent BEFORE you're in lethal kill range. It's a massive part of air combat, and with no icons you literally cannot even determine a very rudimentary shape, range, or even orientation and angle of an enemy plane until it's already inside kill range.

No icons leads to unaware picks, simulating legally blind pilots and/or the baby seal clubbing effect. That's the only true reason to ever demand/request it be forced on everyone. The demander/requester wants easier kills for their own benefit.

Offline guncrasher

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2016, 09:43:36 AM »

2) Really, poor eyesight? who cares. Whats next? a box of hearing aides when you order the game?

you can already get rid of icons.  try it for a month see how it works out.

semp
you dont want me to ho, dont point your plane at me.

Offline Wiley

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2016, 10:08:13 AM »

1) It's not about better hardware.  Most of the time in a no icon environment, lower end hardware has an advantage because the dots are bigger.  The point is, fiddling with your hardware to get the most capability to see aircraft should not be the single most important aspect of the game.

2) So it's far better that you should need to pass a physical to play?

The best part is, as semp said you can turn it off.  Wish granted!

Wiley.
If you think you are having a 1v1 in the Main Arena, your SA has failed you.

JG11

Offline JunkyII

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2016, 10:26:25 AM »
New players struggle enough as is with icons, turn it off if you want a challenge.
DFC Member
Proud Member of Pigs on the Wing
"Yikes"

Offline waystin2

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2016, 10:36:11 AM »
You can turn your icons off if you want the additional challenge.  Turning them off for all players is just not good for the game.  Try FSO or Scenarios or the AVA to experience shortened or icons turned off.  You'll have fun!

:salute

CO for the Pigs On The Wing
& The nicest guy in Aces High!

Offline Oldman731

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2016, 01:09:00 PM »
You can turn your icons off if you want the additional challenge.  Turning them off for all players is just not good for the game.  Try FSO or Scenarios or the AVA to experience shortened or icons turned off.  You'll have fun!

As others have said, the debate has been extended and heated.  In the end, I think everyone (at the time) generally agreed that no-icons isn't for everyone, so it's better to enjoy it in AvA or FSO, as Waystin says.  IMHO you really should put a good four hours into flying in a no-icons environment.  Many real-world tactics that make no sense in the MA suddenly become important.

- oldman

Offline Vraciu

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #9 on: August 04, 2016, 01:44:52 PM »
-1 OP.

/thread
”KILLER V”
Charter Member of the P-51 Mustang Skin Mafia
King of the Hill Champ, Tour 219
The Damned
King of the Hill Win Percentage - 100 (1 Win, 0 Losses)

Offline JimmyD3

• Gold Member
« Reply #10 on: August 04, 2016, 04:16:20 PM »
Kenai77
CO Sic Puppies MWK
USAF 1971-76

Offline USCH

• Silver Member
« Reply #11 on: August 04, 2016, 07:10:26 PM »
you can already get rid of icons.  try it for a month see how it works out.

semp
+1

Offline Beefcake

• Gold Member
« Reply #12 on: August 04, 2016, 07:36:40 PM »

As someone who has suffered from poor eyesight his entire life I hope you never have to deal with what I have to deal with. The dots in AH can sometimes be hard for me to see and even with icons stuff still "pops up" on me.

Retired Bomber Dweeb - 71 "Eagle" Squadron RAF

Offline Zimme83

• Gold Member
« Reply #13 on: August 04, 2016, 07:39:03 PM »
Without Icons there are no way to separate the good guys from the bad guys, it only works if you have a fixed plane set were you can tell friend from foe by identifying the plane type. But in MA that would be impossible.
''The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge'' - Stephen Hawking

Offline bustr

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #14 on: August 04, 2016, 07:47:33 PM »
Three countries and you can fly any fighter you want at all times. In a three country open world, how do you know you are looking at an enemy plane if there is no icon to tell you? No icon works for two country only games where the opposing sides fly country specific aircraft with country markings which allows visual identification of friend or foe. It also makes it easy to guess for old guys with poor eyesight that going in the direction of the other country will have a high probability of bad guys when they see a dot.

I've been wondering if our forum is going to get trolled as AH3 is closer to going live, to help us be our natural worst selves to try and drive away potential new players. We have had years of this wish, but not one so obvious in trying to get a rise out of posters.
bustr - POTW 1st Wing

This is like the old joke that voters are harsher to their beer brewer if he has an outage, than their politicians after raising their taxes. Death and taxes are certain but, fun and sex is only now.