Author Topic: The New Radar Icons  (Read 2760 times)

Offline shift8

• Copper Member
The New Radar Icons
« on: August 21, 2016, 02:08:49 PM »
I am not sure that the new radar icons are a good idea. I think that they give people far too much information and are too "gamey." Not that the original radar icons were ever all that realistic, but the new ones take things to a whole new level. The new radar icon system allows for the real time directional tracking of each individual plane, and on top of that tells you what type of plane you are tracking. The old system with just the dots meant that you had to spend time watching a contact for some time to determine its direction because it only updated periodically. You also didnt know what kind of plane you were looking at. This was a much better system for maintaining a veneer that are getting general information about enemy formations relayed to you from ground radar. The dots gave you a general impression of the size and disposition of certain cons. Not immediate 360 degree exacting data on single airplanes. This is especially problematic for bombers, since people will now know exactly which cons to gun for when they take off etc.

Offline bustr

• Plutonium Member
Re: The New Radar Icons
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2016, 02:13:24 PM »
It is highly possible this is an answer to the last 4 years of forum complaints about players hiding from each other. If you don't want to be found, fly between the radar rings or NOE.
bustr - POTW 1st Wing

This is like the old joke that voters are harsher to their beer brewer if he has an outage, than their politicians after raising their taxes. Death and taxes are certain but, fun and sex is only now.

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2016, 02:14:12 PM »
I believe the extra clipboard information is from ground observers.

Offline shift8

• Copper Member
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2016, 02:30:59 PM »
It is highly possible this is an answer to the last 4 years of forum complaints about players hiding from each other. If you don't want to be found, fly between the radar rings or NOE.

I certainly hope not. Those were always stupid complaints from people who think everyone should play the game their way. If you want a giant air-quake climb festival, there is a game for that. Its called war thunder.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2016, 02:34:58 PM by shift8 »

Offline shift8

• Copper Member
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2016, 02:32:59 PM »

Ground observers would not be able to report the flying direction of multiple airplanes moving in different directions, nor would it be possible to somehow relay such specific information without the context being lost in the transmission. They might be able to tell bombers from fighters, but that data would be far from real time.

Offline bustr

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2016, 02:37:46 PM »

Wow, we have gone from squirrels with cameras to squirrels with radios snitching on people........ :O

If you turn off icons then don't ever look at your map, you should be very happy shift8. Maybe wish for Hitech to add a toggle to the map to turn off friendly\foe icons. Then you can tell everyone over ch200 how gamey the rest of us fly...... ;)
bustr - POTW 1st Wing

This is like the old joke that voters are harsher to their beer brewer if he has an outage, than their politicians after raising their taxes. Death and taxes are certain but, fun and sex is only now.

Offline shift8

• Copper Member
« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2016, 02:59:05 PM »
Wow, we have gone from squirrels with cameras to squirrels with radios snitching on people........ :O

If you turn off icons then don't ever look at your map, you should be very happy shift8. Maybe wish for Hitech to add a toggle to the map to turn off friendly\foe icons. Then you can tell everyone over ch200 how gamey the rest of us fly...... ;)

Bustr, you know full well that one player turning off his icons and not using his clipboard does not solve the problem. Dont try to deliberately obfuscate the issue by pretending that would change anything.

Desiring what amounts to a player tracker is Objectively gamey. This is not what occurs in real life. I dont know if Hitech did it for this reason, in fact I am inclined to think it was just a artwork change, but players who like this for your stated reason are demanding what is essentially a personal player tracker. It is downright retarded to think it is reasonable and realistic to be able to track in real time individual airplanes along with their type and bearing on the clipboard. This removes the element of surprise to a nonsensical degree. You may as well give each player he own personal AWACS.

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2016, 03:04:22 PM »
Ground observers would not be able to report the flying direction of multiple airplanes moving in different directions, nor would it be possible to somehow relay such specific information without the context being lost in the transmission. They might be able to tell bombers from fighters, but that data would be far from real time.

Multiple ground observers combined with radar. 

This removes the element of surprise to a nonsensical degree.

Bomb the radar.   :aok

Offline shift8

• Copper Member
« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2016, 03:09:14 PM »
Multiple ground observers combined with radar. 

Bomb the radar.   :aok

Players should not have to deal with such a silly radar icon system in the first place dude. That is not a solution anymore than flying outside of the radar cone is. 

Offline bustr

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2016, 03:19:06 PM »
So you want us all flying around blind using the squirrels as seeing eye rodents then. OK, you will probably be the only player in the MA after a week or Hitech will switch icons back on to keep his doors open and call it his shift8 moment of insanity.
bustr - POTW 1st Wing

Offline Bruv119

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://www.thefewsquadron.co.uk
« Reply #10 on: August 21, 2016, 03:57:28 PM »
I think the new system will help promote combat. 

You can prepare for bomber attacks quicker, prevent them from closing bases and be at sufficient height to attack before they bail out.

Bustr is right pork the radar along the front before your run if your scared of attackers.   I'd also have a wish to go alongside by making the radar tougher to kill.   
The Few ***
F.P.H

Offline Vulcan

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #11 on: August 21, 2016, 05:02:33 PM »
The problem with bombers is that a player can go afk for a dump while his buffs climb to 30k. There is no penalty for such altitudes. And even if you had a buff icon within a dar ring it is nigh on impossible to deal with them. Then they have the advantage of the simple bombsight alignment, and a 3 plane formation to deal with.

Maybe AH3 will bring more clouds, even something as simple as cloud layers obscuring bombsights would even things out a lot.

Offline Hajo

• Platinum Member
« Reply #12 on: August 21, 2016, 05:03:42 PM »

You can prepare for bomber attacks quicker, prevent them from closing bases and be at sufficient height to attack before they bail out.

Bustr is right pork the radar along the front before your run if your scared of attackers.   I'd also have a wish to go alongside by making the radar tougher to kill.

Bruv is correct.  It helps the gameplay.  At first you don't know what type of aircraft it is.  When you close it becomes apparent.  Makes the air battle much more fun.
- The Flying Circus -

Offline JimmyD3

• Gold Member
« Reply #13 on: August 21, 2016, 05:08:09 PM »
Bruv brings out some good points, but I always understood that the original Radar system Britain used gave them the number, course and altitude of the "boogies" . Don't see this as much different. :joystick:
Kenai77
CO Sic Puppies MWK
USAF 1971-76

Offline Devil 505

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #14 on: August 21, 2016, 05:23:08 PM »

I'd take it one step further and wish for indestructible fighter hangars. Nothing is worse than the hangars getting porked at the only active fight going on - especially if there is no associated base capture attempt.
Kommando Nowotny

FlyKommando.com