Author Topic: VR headtracking  (Read 592 times)

Offline Vulcan

• Plutonium Member
VR headtracking
« on: August 26, 2016, 07:26:49 PM »
Dear Excellency, President for Life, Field Marshal  VC, DSO, MC, Lord of All the Beasts of the Earth and Fishes of the Seas and Conqueror of the British Empire in America in General and Texas in Particular Hitech....

May we please have scaling options for headtracking, or the option to let an external tracker do the work (like Opentrack)? When I go to check 6 my head snaps into a looking at the seat view (possibly because the DK2 does not do well past 150 degrees). I tried using the hat view thing but it feels weird.

Offline 1stpar3

• Gold Member
Re: VR headtracking
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2016, 02:57:47 AM »
I have a similar problem with TrackIR. This last patch change how the view system uses TIR. Before you could hit a number pad digit and it would override any head movement from TIR. I used to use a look front button, to look around the nose Of some planes. I could lean to the side and hit that button and would lock in my view directly where my gun sight/ dot on screen would be. It does sort of make sense I guess, being that even when I turn my head and push the button it doesn't jump to that view...I am still looking forward no matter where my head is lol It was manageable though. I just added more dead band to my curves in TIR. Not quite as convenient but it was a fix-ish
"Life is short,break the rules,forgive quickly,kiss slowly,love truly,laugh uncontrollably,and never regret anything that made you smile."  “The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why.”- Mark Twain

Offline guncrasher

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2016, 03:29:45 AM »
I have no problems with trakir looking around.

semp
you dont want me to ho, dont point your plane at me.

Offline terrydew

• Copper Member
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2016, 09:16:13 AM »
I think views should be limited to +- 120 deg either side of front for all modes regular and VR.
That would give everyone an equal blind spot and closer to reality. Being able to look 180 deg behind you unnatural and unrealistic. IMHO it would lead to better dogfights.

Terry

Offline germ

• Zinc Member
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2016, 10:44:16 AM »
I found a trackir template online for DCS and it works great for AH2/3.

The only real problem I have is now in AH3, when looking back in the P-51 (the plane I fly most), my view goes through the canopy and gets partially blocked by the graphics of the canopy. Kind of annoying. My only comment would be to add something that prevents the head angle to exceed the canopy. Though that might not be something that can be done, dunno.

Offline 1stpar3

• Gold Member
« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2016, 04:50:54 PM »
I have no problems with trakir looking around.

semp
Right, no problems for me either, was just that "view" command keys don't work the same WITH TIR. I used a look forward button to stay in line with bullet strike point when looking around the nose to shoot. Had to widen dead zones to keep the dot aligned with gun strike potition,instead of using button.
"Life is short,break the rules,forgive quickly,kiss slowly,love truly,laugh uncontrollably,and never regret anything that made you smile."  “The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why.”- Mark Twain

Offline 1stpar3

• Gold Member
« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2016, 04:53:55 PM »
I found a trackir template online for DCS and it works great for AH2/3.

The only real problem I have is now in AH3, when looking back in the P-51 (the plane I fly most), my view goes through the canopy and gets partially blocked by the graphics of the canopy. Kind of annoying. My only comment would be to add something that prevents the head angle to exceed the canopy. Though that might not be something that can be done, dunno.
Yup, I noticed that as well. Seems the only plane I have that happen in is the pony. I get it looking front and leaning to the side also.

Offline Vulcan

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2016, 04:58:05 PM »
I think views should be limited to +- 120 deg either side of front for all modes regular and VR.
That would give everyone an equal blind spot and closer to reality. Being able to look 180 deg behind you unnatural and unrealistic. IMHO it would lead to better dogfights.

Terry

I can look 180 degrees behind me, I'm not an owl (my eyes are not fixed direct ahead) and I can move my shoulders a small amount to see behind me.

Offline doright

• Nickel Member
« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2016, 01:21:53 PM »
My thumb is adapting quickly. If I'm looking at my left wingtip and want to look further aft I just push the POV hat to fwd left (not aft). That rotates the view 45 degrees, and leaves you in the Rift looking in you left rear quadrant. Looking around this way is very comfortable and doesn't require the head snapping back and forth if you try to use your POV as a strict 'look this way' hat. I would like the immersion of not using the POV (and my thumb doesn't like the extended use either) but I'm not limber enough to look much aft of the wingtip while still holding the stick. Sounds pathetic but you do lose field of vision because you eyes can rotate further then the rift screen extends.
I'm thinking I may try resetting the hat so left becomes fwd left (45deg rotation), and aft left becomes left (90deg rotation) and of course the same for right. Make it a little easier on the thumb.

I would like to try a scaling on tracking too though, to see which is more comfortable on long missions and intense dogfights. Much like scaling on stick axis, flat until 60deg or so then user adjustable so 100+ degs scales to 170deg.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2016, 01:35:18 PM by doright »
Armaments 3:9 "Fireth thee not in their forward quarters lest thee be beset by 200 imps and be naughty in their sight."

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
« Reply #9 on: August 30, 2016, 03:25:38 PM »
Try leaning to one side before looking straight back.