Author Topic: Impressions so far...  (Read 1232 times)

Offline Dobs

• Persona Non Grata
  • Nickel Member
Impressions so far...
« on: August 30, 2016, 03:41:46 PM »
Very nice job!!!

Realize I never flew AH II so I don't know what the changes are....I only know what AH III is. Previous online flight sim experience though..

Graphics
Nice! No issues with FPS to date.
Things I've noticed graphically:
-Long distance dots you can see. When they render from large dot to "plane dot" (pre icon)....they disappear.  1080p res. At 4k res, no long range dots at all....I'm thinking they get anti-aliased out, but I didn't sleep at a Holiday Inn last night so I can't be sure.  I don't fly at 4k for this reason.
-Shadows from clouds--cause a flicker at times that makes it seems like you have a graphic anomaly.   
-Low angle sun has some issues with "lighting" objects in front of you (written up in diff post).
Tracers--hard to see.  But I'm old:)
Compass faces (38 for example) need some more "light"...hard to read.
-Icons
--haze layer plays hell with the icon vis. Makes them look anemic and "wafer thin"...especially green, but to some extent red as well.
--Icons obscure the plane at times...makes it very hard to judge Aspect as a result.  Maybe its because I'm a noob:)
--Icons get clipped below ground/trees at times....you see the top of the letters and that is it.

Sounds
The change in views and change in sounds can be a bit "annoying" at times. Maybe an option to keep sound constant regardless of head view?  This is with snap views...
Looking straight up in some planes get a stutter in engine sound.
Engine sound...if I turn down engine volume, I lose engine sound at low boost settings.  I have to manipulate master volume as a result.

Flight Models
Hard to slow down...flaps don't appear to have drag, neither does gear.  Prop drag appears to be negligible.
Appears the game favors idle break turns vs power on break turns? Still looking at this...
(this all maybe the same as AHII ....again I didn't fly AHII).
Will leave it at this until I get more stick time in game:)

Interface
Once you find you way around--pretty easy to use.
Maybe a few more options to customize things--but those are "nice to haves" not "need to haves".

Gameplay
Pretty good interaction for all aspects.  Have not been in a GV, but find that GV spawns are really close and can be like annoying biting flies. You swat one, and he is back before you know it.  Getting a spawn camper at the field is way annoying...  Do fields have anti-tank guns? If not...have to recommend they get incorporated. Right now it seems the tanks just roll towns, airfields with impunity.  Like the icons on GVs...even at reduced range. Hard to see, but icons help.

Resupply, capture, etc... all add dimensions to the game. Still need to play more to see what I'm missing on the strategic level as I've just been tactically oriented (i.e. learning how to stay alive while flying)...but it appears game play has been given a large amount of thought.

Over all, as a BRAND NEW PLAYER TO THE GAME, I think it is one in which I'll stick around to learn and play and my first impression is a very positive one.

Almost missed the most important part--Players-- so far polite and helpful.  You don't realize how important that is to a new guy.  Makes a great impression.

Cheers!
Dobs

GTX 980TI
Intel I7-6700K @4GHZ
32GB RAM
Fly at 3840x 2160 resolution

Offline Randy1

• Platinum Member
Re: Impressions so far...
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2016, 03:53:59 PM »
Dobs good to have you as a player.

On the flight model.  From past post I can tell you the flight model is way beyond what you might expect in the technical information HTC has incorporated.  I will give you a good example.  When you open the troop-cargo door on the C-47, the plane slows about 3 MPH.

Another example.  My squad mate did an AH3 test to see if changing the prop setting after engine loss will extend you glide time.  It does.

Offline Hajo

• Platinum Member
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2016, 04:20:04 PM »
Welcome aboard Dobs!  Any relation to the Private Dobs on F-Troop!   One of my favorite shows way back when.

If you see me on and have any questions feel free to ask.  If I can't answer I'll point you in the right direction!

Don't tell me you play the Bugle.  It would be a strain on my heart.  :D
- The Flying Circus -

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2016, 04:41:52 PM »
Who is this DOBS guy. :D

Good to have you on board. We will have to get some time in the 38. I can show you how to leave parts all over the place instead of one burning hole. The 80th and SAPP are excellent at that. :)

:cheers:
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

Offline Dobs

• Persona Non Grata
  • Nickel Member
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2016, 05:05:52 PM »

Good to have you on board. We will have to get some time in the 38. I can show you how to leave parts all over the place instead of one burning hole. The 80th and SAPP are excellent at that. :)

I'll take you up on that!  Right now flying something I can live in for a little bit while I get my arms around the FMs and plane strength and weakness's!  Figure I'll take up the 38 again when I'm a little wiser on the game:)
GTX 980TI
Intel I7-6700K @4GHZ
32GB RAM
Fly at 3840x 2160 resolution

Offline EskimoJoe

• Platinum Member
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2016, 05:06:33 PM »

The SAPP guys are basically local legends around here. Word is they can leave every nut and bolt of a P-38 across an 8 mile approach, with the only remaining semblance to a plane is the pilot walking back into the field, smelling faintly of body odor and adult beverages.
Put a +1 on your geekness atribute  :aok

Offline JimmyC

• Platinum Member
« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2016, 05:54:27 PM »
good to have you on board Dobs,
Its a fun game for sure, many angles and aspects to keep one interested for a long time.
Icons of enemy are underneath planes  friendly above .. so if you NOE, fly below radar, low level you can hided a bit.. it helps at times.
Its great to hear the views of some one new to the game..
seen you on Knights holding your own <S>
Jimmy
CO 71 "Eagle" Squadron RAF
"I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy."

Offline LCADolby

• Platinum Member
« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2016, 05:59:09 PM »
Having flown with Dobs in Warbirds, I can honestly say I'm pleased to see him take the leap to AcesHigh.
His input will be constructive and welcomed.
JG5 "Eismeer"
YouTube-20Dolby10
Twitch - Glendinho

Offline save

• Gold Member
« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2016, 10:26:40 PM »
As he was my former boss in Trainer Corps in Warbirds, met him IRL, etc etc, I'd be sure to check the rooster before engaging a P38 after he learns the quirks of AH (compared with WB)  :D

Dobs have tons of knowledge within aviation, and I listen to him as much as I do with Bozon when it comes to aerodynamics.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2016, 10:29:48 PM by save »
My ammo last for 6 Lancasters, or one Yak3.
"And the Yak 3 ,aka the "flying Yamato"..."
-Caldera

Offline Bruv119

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://www.thefewsquadron.co.uk
« Reply #9 on: August 31, 2016, 01:27:04 AM »
yea dobs and his buddies seem like good eggs.    :salute
The Few ***
F.P.H

Offline Biggamer

• Nickel Member
« Reply #10 on: August 31, 2016, 02:12:10 AM »
welcome to the addiction Dobs <<S>>
G3-MF

Offline Tomkin

• Zinc Member
« Reply #11 on: August 31, 2016, 01:14:50 PM »
Hi,

my first impressions in AH 3 are " Hey, looks better, lets look if the FM is as good as AH3". :x

Second was "Hell, where are the players?"   :( So i was flying and turning in a spit for a while till i was bored and fell into sleep in front of my PC. :blank:

But i tell you, i must have hit Autopilot before, was still up and flying when  woke up, so AP works like a charm.  :airplane:

Enough mean jokes. It looks and feels nice, but lags on players in my opinion.   :joystick:

As im writing this, im loading the last update, hoping the arena is more crowded.  :salute

BTW: A BIG HELLO TO MY FRIEND SAVE !  :D :D :D :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :D :D :D :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:

Offline Rich46yo

• Platinum Member
« Reply #12 on: August 31, 2016, 01:40:25 PM »
Its lagging players because about 120 are still in II every night. Put 200 to 220 in a small map on a Tues. and you wouldnt call it that. And wont once we go regular season. I havnt been able to play II since advanced III came out just cause the graphics give me pleasure to look at. Even the sunlight looks much, much better and the immersion is far better. I think overall this is going to be a game improvement of a #4 to a #8 overall. A double your pleasure upgrade, which is about as good as it gets.

LL might still have been a fun, stable flight model but it looked like last weeks socks.
"flying the aircraft of the Red Star"

Offline donnieboy

• Zinc Member
« Reply #13 on: August 31, 2016, 02:37:46 PM »
<S> Dobs. You were pretty hard to hit in that F4F last night. Welcome!

After playing in beta every few days for a few minutes at a time I was thinking that III was nice, but not that much better than II. Since the Pre-Release I have only been playing in III until last night I went into the II LW and really noticed the difference. No going back for me! :cheers: