Author Topic: AH3 - Oculus Rift VR Headset + 190D with a 37mm Allergy  (Read 1107 times)

Offline Vulcan

• Plutonium Member
AH3 - Oculus Rift VR Headset + 190D with a 37mm Allergy
« on: September 01, 2016, 11:30:04 PM »
If anyone doesn't know already I'm a VR nut. So the native support in AH3 for VR had me all  :x

For weeks I've been sorting out my Windows build fighting a faulty SSD then yesterday a mainboard failure.

So now I have AH3 stable, and the new drivers allow me to capture video using fraps. This video looks tall/narrow as the Oculus renders for each eye (ie the monitor is effectively split in half). So this is one eye view only. the picture fills up your field of view, like you were sitting a foot or 2 back from a 60" TV screen.

I haven't edited the video so it's a bit rough.

My box is a an I3-6100 with an nvidia GTX-960, nothing too flaw. Though some of the head movement may look jerky it is definitely not to me when I am playing.

I rolled at A56, noticed the town was WF so started having a snoop around for goons etc in a Yak-9T (I've have a thing for big guns). A 190D made a couple of high passes I dodged, then I noticed him peel in towards the town ack and took the opportunity. With the Oculus you have great depth perception (it's all in stereoscopic 3D), as the 190 cross under my nose I let fly a couple of taters... and well... no more 190 ;)

Offline Pluto

• Nickel Member
Re: AH3 - Oculus Rift VR Headset + 190D with a 37mm Allergy
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2016, 12:58:03 AM »
 :rock Awesome! Nice shooting. I would like to try that out.

Offline Kanth

• Gold Member
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2016, 06:59:19 AM »
 :rofl I like how you are looking around after / Where'd he go? hahaha  NICE shooting!   :rock

Looking forward to upgrading and getting VR.
Gone from the game. Please see Spikes or Nefarious for any Ahevents.net admin needs.

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2016, 08:29:57 AM »
Pretty interesting stuff. Is there a side by side version for those of us that want to try and watch it on gear VR? (*cough*like me*cough*)

Offline JimmyD3

• Gold Member
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2016, 11:52:43 AM »
Very nice Vulcan, now I want one.  :cry
Kenai77
CO Sic Puppies MWK
USAF 1971-76

Offline Rich46yo

• Platinum Member
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2016, 02:08:17 PM »
How much additional resources does this VR stuff use? Do you hang up the Track IR afterwards? Ive been wondering if I have enough computer and how well it would work. Glad yours is doing well.
"flying the aircraft of the Red Star"

Offline NatCigg

• Gold Member
« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2016, 02:28:55 PM »
is it tough to look backwards when sitting in your chair?  is situation awareness easier with a hat switch or vr?
How much of a physical strain is it to play aces high in vr?

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2016, 03:02:07 PM »
How much additional resources does this VR stuff use?

On my system frame rates are almost cut in half with VR. The Rift spaces frames evenly so it's smooth even with low FPS but it's nicer at 90 fps.

is it tough to look backwards when sitting in your chair?  is situation awareness easier with a hat switch or vr?

Yes it's hard to turn around and look straight back depending on your chair and posture but you can still use hat views with VR so it's still easy to see straight back.

Offline Vulcan

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2016, 03:07:36 PM »
Pretty interesting stuff. Is there a side by side version for those of us that want to try and watch it on gear VR? (*cough*like me*cough*)

No unfortunately HT renders it to the main screen as what you see.

Offline Vulcan

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #9 on: September 02, 2016, 03:09:07 PM »

I have a DK2 which lacks the LEDs on the back of the headset like newer headsets. As you look past around 150 degrees it loses tracking. When I used opentrack I used to scale it so 150 degrees = 180 degrees.

Offline Vulcan

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #10 on: September 02, 2016, 03:09:45 PM »
How much additional resources does this VR stuff use? Do you hang up the Track IR afterwards? Ive been wondering if I have enough computer and how well it would work. Glad yours is doing well.

I never used trackir, I've been using VR with AH for about 8 years now. My PC specs are posted above.

Offline Mitsu

• Gold Member
      • Himitsu no blog (Mitsu's secret blog - written by Japanese)
« Reply #11 on: September 03, 2016, 07:10:10 PM »
Cool movie!
But...I'm having a headatche.  :(

Offline expat

• Silver Member
« Reply #12 on: September 19, 2016, 12:44:54 PM »
Have just started AH3 and the Rift , it is very good , i get steady frame rates ,just need to drop the seat down a bit as i seem to be a tad too high so only see half the sight .Other than that i am very impressed .
Rift and DCS.....WOW!!!
goggles on ,chocks away, last one backs a homo  hooraaaaaaaaay!

Offline dallash

• Zinc Member
« Reply #13 on: September 19, 2016, 01:28:39 PM »
Awesome! What is the cheapest way to get VR that is compatible with AH3? Am I reading that right the setup you have is $1799? Ouch :-)

Dallas
v97th HGB (may not be worth it for a bomber pilot like me)

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
« Reply #14 on: September 19, 2016, 04:11:37 PM »
Have just started AH3 and the Rift , it is very good , i get steady frame rates ,just need to drop the seat down a bit as i seem to be a tad too high so only see half the sight .Other than that i am very impressed .
Rift and DCS.....WOW!!!

Map a button to tracker center and you can easily reset your view in flight, you don't need to use the oculus app to center yourself.