Author Topic: Engine sound  (Read 2899 times)

Offline ONTOS

• Silver Member
Engine sound
« on: September 06, 2016, 05:51:19 PM »
When the throttle goes from full back to idle as in landing or cutting it back in a dive, the engine gets quitter but still has the same sound as at full speed. The custom sounds I have in AH II, there is a change in sound as throttle is cut. Kind'a annoying when you make a change in power and there is no difference in sound.

Offline Chalenge

• Plutonium Member
Re: Engine sound
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2016, 05:58:14 PM »
This is what FMOD can do:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iKsx2faLKYw

So now you should understand that it is just a matter of having the proper sounds to mix.
If you like the Sick Puppy Custom Sound Pack the please consider contributing for future updates by sending a months dues to Hitech Creations for account "Chalenge." Every little bit helps.

Offline mako04

• Zinc Member
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2016, 07:16:49 PM »
Many of the planes had constant speed propellers, so the game sounds are correct. The sound changes you do hear are due to the change of the propeller pitch. Engine spins at nearly same speed all the time.

slightly different subject: It seems to me the doppler shift now sounds really great...didn't notice it so much in AHII!   
MDBGA! Making Dive Bombing Great Again.

Offline Chalenge

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2016, 07:26:49 PM »
Watch this video from about 4:00 to the end to see what is coming:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T5D6spj-w7o
If you like the Sick Puppy Custom Sound Pack the please consider contributing for future updates by sending a months dues to Hitech Creations for account "Chalenge." Every little bit helps.

Offline Pudgie

• Silver Member
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2016, 07:51:14 PM »
Watch this video from about 4:00 to the end to see what is coming:

Can't wait!

That's gonna be SOOOO immersive...................

:salute
Win 10 Home 64, AMD Ryzen 9 3900X, MSI MPG X570 Gaming Plus, GSkill FlareX 32Gb DDR4 3200 4x8Gb, XFX Radeon RX 6900X 16Gb, Samsung 950 Pro 512Gb NVMe PCI-E SSD (boot), Samsung 850 Pro 128Gb SATA SSD (pagefile), Creative SoundBlaster X7 DAC-AMP, Intel LAN, SeaSonic PRIME Gold 850W, all CLWC'd

Offline Chalenge

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2016, 08:04:57 PM »
You don't have to wait on me! With the FMOD tools and a free audio editor you could literally make your own sounds faster. It's a lot more work for a complete sound pack than it would be for one aircraft, or vehicle. If you're doing it for yourself you have the luxury of being able to use any sound your find, but unless you own the copyright . . .

EDIT:

BTW, I didn't learn that I had a problem with guns until after I had all the recordings done. The original sound pack is washed out of some of the impact that guns really have. It's partly because of the difference in human hearing (analog) and the recording devices that we use today (digital). Gun sounds and engines off of YouTube will not be as high quality as they would be if they were properly recorded. This is one reason that Hollywood sounds are so much richer (they can pay to have an airplane or vehicle rigged for audio). It is also because the mics I use, or have used in the past were low SPL. A higher SPL mic (think snare drums) will record a truer sound. Obviously, that type of mic is not available on a cell phone, or low end digital camcorder. I have very nice mics now, but it is not very likely that I will be able to go to TankFest again, and it would probably take more than myself and my wife to collect the sounds in even a two week period for those tanks. I will do what I can, though.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2016, 08:13:09 PM by Chalenge »

Offline hitech

• Administrator
  • Administrator
      • http://www.hitechcreations.com
« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2016, 09:11:56 AM »
You don't have to wait on me! With the FMOD tools and a free audio editor you could literally make your own sounds faster. It's a lot more work for a complete sound pack than it would be for one aircraft, or vehicle. If you're doing it for yourself you have the luxury of being able to use any sound your find, but unless you own the copyright . . .

EDIT:

BTW, I didn't learn that I had a problem with guns until after I had all the recordings done. The original sound pack is washed out of some of the impact that guns really have. It's partly because of the difference in human hearing (analog) and the recording devices that we use today (digital). Gun sounds and engines off of YouTube will not be as high quality as they would be if they were properly recorded. This is one reason that Hollywood sounds are so much richer (they can pay to have an airplane or vehicle rigged for audio). It is also because the mics I use, or have used in the past were low SPL. A higher SPL mic (think snare drums) will record a truer sound. Obviously, that type of mic is not available on a cell phone, or low end digital camcorder. I have very nice mics now, but it is not very likely that I will be able to go to TankFest again, and it would probably take more than myself and my wife to collect the sounds in even a two week period for those tanks. I will do what I can, though.

Some of the engine sounds we purchased had 16 channels. The engine was sampled from many different points, like right next to exhaust manifold, some distance away, front back, inside .....

What Fmod does is gives the ability to mix these samples based on throttle,rpm and your head position.

HiTech

« Last Edit: September 07, 2016, 09:13:55 AM by hitech »

Offline ONTOS

• Silver Member
« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2016, 01:17:10 PM »
How do I access FMOD. Remember, I do not know much about computers. Thank you.

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
« Reply #8 on: September 07, 2016, 01:45:28 PM »
How do I access FMOD. Remember, I do not know much about computers. Thank you.

Here's the post.

http://bbs.hitechcreations.com/smf/index.php/topic,377219.0.html

Offline oboe

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #9 on: September 07, 2016, 01:54:21 PM »
I don't know if this fits with this discussion, but when I am in external view offline, sitting on runway - when I start engines, all other external sounds stop.  They come back when I shut my engines down.   

Seems like I should still be hearing them

Offline LCADolby

• Platinum Member
« Reply #10 on: September 07, 2016, 01:56:39 PM »
The odd thing about AcesHigh is that throttle seems (to my ears anyway) only change the volume the engine and nothing else. Are my ears broken?
JG5 "Eismeer"
YouTube-20Dolby10
Twitch - Glendinho

Offline Hungry

• Nickel Member
« Reply #11 on: September 07, 2016, 02:07:48 PM »
RPM is the real sound changer
"I would gladly pay you Tuesday for a Hamburger today"

Offline 1stpar3

• Gold Member
« Reply #12 on: September 07, 2016, 02:40:51 PM »
I don't know if this fits with this discussion, but when I am in external view offline, sitting on runway - when I start engines, all other external sounds stop.  They come back when I shut my engines down.   

Seems like I should still be hearing them
I am pretty sure that's how it would be! Although I am also sure that the sounds we have,are turned down a bit. These piston engines were extremely LOUD. If you think about it, take the muffler off your lawn mower and pedal it around. Cant hear your wife/girlfriend yelling can ya!!! your welcome
"Life is short,break the rules,forgive quickly,kiss slowly,love truly,laugh uncontrollably,and never regret anything that made you smile."  “The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why.”- Mark Twain

Offline hitech

• Administrator
  • Administrator
      • http://www.hitechcreations.com
« Reply #13 on: September 07, 2016, 04:02:50 PM »
The odd thing about AcesHigh is that throttle seems (to my ears anyway) only change the volume the engine and nothing else. Are my ears broken?

Thats because it is how real planes with constant speed props sound when you change throttle in normal flight.

HiTech

Offline Chalenge

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #14 on: September 07, 2016, 05:31:47 PM »
A repeat post for Dolby:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w9OaFqo5aaI

The second video convinced me to try out that Sony VG10, but I had to go with a newer version (even better as it turned out).