Author Topic: Cyril Richard "Rick" Rescorla (May 27, 1939 – September 11, 2001)  (Read 1531 times)

Offline RJH57

• Copper Member
Cyril Richard "Rick" Rescorla (May 27, 1939 – September 11, 2001):
https://1drv.ms/i/s!AkGpC4yjaS1ok3NHM7_swrebumTP

bio:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rick_Rescorla
"In Fighters, one must always quest to be
     a well-oiled machine fore Belching,
Whoring and Punching of Heads because
 inevitably the Goal is to flame the Enemy
            and Screw his Old Lady"

Offline Rolex

• AH Training Corps
  • Gold Member
Re: Cyril Richard "Rick" Rescorla (May 27, 1939 – September 11, 2001)
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2016, 08:03:08 PM »
Only US citizens can be a commissioned or warrant officer in the US military. Non-citizens are ineligible to attend WO flight training and OCS. There must be a mistake in his wiki page since it says he moved to the US, enlisted and went to OCS in the same year. You must be a permanent resident for 5 years before you can apply for naturalization.

Offline RJH57

• Copper Member
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2016, 07:16:47 AM »
Only US citizens can be a commissioned or warrant officer in the US military. Non-citizens are ineligible to attend WO flight training and OCS. There must be a mistake in his wiki page since it says he moved to the US, enlisted and went to OCS in the same year. You must be a permanent resident for 5 years before you can apply for naturalization.

good point Rolex, thanks. I'll forward your comments to Wikipedia. I also tried to eMail your comments to the Rick Rescorla Memorial web site (http://rickrescorla.com/) but Windows Microsoft Edge browser reported that site as "unsafe". 
« Last Edit: September 12, 2016, 07:27:42 AM by RJH57 »
            and Screw his Old Lady"

Offline RJH57

• Copper Member
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2016, 10:24:40 AM »
 Wikipedia excerpt:
===============
"he was a second lieutenant in the United States Army.... participated in the 1965 Battle of Ia Drang... After service in Vietnam, Rescorla returned to the US, and used his military benefits to study creative writing at the University of Oklahoma, eventually earning a Bachelor of Arts degree, a Master of Arts degree in English, and a law degree from the Oklahoma City University School of Law. Rick and his first wife, Betsy, met as students at the University of Oklahoma. They married in Dallas in 1972.  The Rescorlas' first child was born in South Carolina in 1976 and their second 1978, while they lived in Chicago. The family moved to New Jersey."

It's doubtful that he was a "lifer", i.e. career active duty officer, unless in the Reserve. US Army officers had a minimum 3 year obligation back then (1963-1966). Wikipedia does not mention if he re-upped and served more than 1 tour in Nam, but it can surmised from the above excerpt that he left the Army NO LATER than 1971 to study. Yet the wikipedia photo shows him with the rank of Lieutenant Colonel (see attachment), which would mean he went from 2nd Lieutenant platoon leader to Lieutenant Colonel in 7-8 (?) years. No f*ckin' way!!- unless he was a career Reservist.  In VietNam a Brigade Commander was often a Lieutenant Colonel and Company Commanders were Captains, yet wikipedia does not mention him holding any such high command.

https://1drv.ms/i/s!AkGpC4yjaS1ok3TsgPCRwIG04Abk
« Last Edit: September 12, 2016, 10:35:02 AM by RJH57 »
            and Screw his Old Lady"

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2016, 07:13:49 PM »
In the book "We Were Soldiers Once… And Young", it goes mentions in how Rescorla was able to enter into the US Army and get commissioned. 
"If Jesus came back as an airplane, he would be a P-38." - WW2 P-38 pilot
Elite Top Aces +1 Mexican Official Squadron Song

Offline Ripsnort

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2016, 02:48:24 PM »
This guy was a REAL super hero. And no special powers except insistence on evacuation training.

Offline RJH57

• Copper Member
« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2016, 01:59:28 AM »
In the book "We Were Soldiers Once… And Young", it goes mentions in how Rescorla was able to enter into the US Army and get commissioned.

good to know, thanks :)
            and Screw his Old Lady"

Offline Rolex

• AH Training Corps
  • Gold Member
« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2016, 05:15:51 AM »
So how did that happen Ack-Ack?

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2016, 05:22:33 AM »
So how did that happen Ack-Ack?

It's been years since I've read that book and quite frankly don't recall the details.  I do know that in the beginning of the book that goes into depth of the formation of the 1st Air Cav, it does provide background on key people.
"If Jesus came back as an airplane, he would be a P-38." - WW2 P-38 pilot
Elite Top Aces +1 Mexican Official Squadron Song

Offline EskimoJoe

• Platinum Member
« Reply #9 on: September 17, 2016, 01:37:28 PM »
 “What she doesn’t understand is that she knew him for four or five years. She knew a sixty-two-year-old man with cancer. I knew him as a hundred-and-eighty-pound, six-foot-one piece of human machinery that would not quit, that did not know defeat, that would not back off one inch. In the middle of the greatest battle of Vietnam, he was singing to the troops, saying we’re going to rip them a new a**hole, when everyone else was worrying about dying. If he had come out of that building and someone died who he hadn’t tried to save, he would have had to commit suicide.

In the next weeks or months, I’ll get her down here, and we’ll take a walk along the ocean, and I’ll explain these things. You see, for Rick Rescorla, this was a natural death. People like Rick, they don’t die old men. They aren’t destined for that and it isn’t right for them to do so. It just isn’t right, by God, for them to become feeble, old, and helpless sons of b****s. There are certain men born in this world, and they’re supposed to die setting an example for the rest of the weak bas****s we’re surrounded with.”

From 'The New Yorker' piece entitled 'The Real Heroes are Dead' by James B. Stewart
Put a +1 on your geekness atribute  :aok