Author Topic: making video's--nobody on knights ever makes one.  (Read 1719 times)

Offline lunatic1

• Gold Member
making video's--nobody on knights ever makes one.
« on: September 14, 2016, 02:34:57 PM »
what are the best tools for making a video? Please Help.
C.O. of the 173rd Guardian Angels---Don't fire until you can see the whites of their eyes...Major devereux(The Battle Of Wake Island-1941.
R.I.P.49GRIN/GRIN-R.I.P. WWHISKEY R.I.P WIZZY R.I.P.

Offline Chalenge

• Plutonium Member
Re: making video's--nobody on knights ever makes one.
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2016, 07:39:25 PM »
Aces High gives you everything you need, until it comes time to upload to YouTube.

In my opinion there are two ways to go.

1) Use software capture
2) Use hardware capture

Software capture can be accomplished with FRAPS, or Loilo (free). Loilo allows you to capture at a selectable frame rate and quality, so it is an obvious best choice for a lot of people. Either one of these choices will probably get you scratching your head when it comes to recording commentary, vox, or editing. You can get a mixer at a fair price (there are a few for around $50), and maybe an XLR mic for as little as $20.

Hardware capture is probably the best way to go, but it can get expensive quickly. I play on an X99 system and record on a Z97 system. I use a Blackmagic Intensity Pro 4k ($200) to capture directly from HDMI out of the X99 GPUs. Windows 10 can mirror displays natively, but occasionally Windows 10 will also cause an 'out of range' error (there's a bug somewhere). Mirroring allows the second system to see the same thing you do while playing. The Intensity Pro 4k also records "Uncompressed," which means you need a fast hard drive (when I say fast I mean SSD or faster). I use the RAID capabilities of the second system to create a three volume RAID 0 array, and then Windows 10's 'Storage Spaces' app to assign them to a 'Storage Pool' and drive letter. The drives I use are high capacity video recording volumes, so the RAID 0 allows them to read/write at over 430MB/s (just fast enough for 2160p60 recordings). This makes it easy to record at 1080p60, but one hour of video can be 70GB-2TB depending on the bit rate of the recording (8,10, or 12). I use Handbrake (free) to convert the result into a smaller file for network transfers from one system to another.

I also have an Elgato HD60 Pro ($200), which can record 'compressed' video at 1080p60, which usually means an hour video is 15-20GB.

Either one of these cards can crash. Both of them require an editor. I use Premiere Pro and I am learning the FREE Blackmagic editor 'DaVinci Resolve,' but it is intended as a colorist editor or broadcast editor mostly. There is a free editor called 'VSDC,' but I cannot speak to it as I have no experience with it.

(EDIT) I misquoted the figure for read/write. Instead of 800 it is 430MB/s and instead of 2160p30 it is 2160p60 (at ProRes 422 HQ), as measured by the Blackmagic Design Disk Speed Test utility.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2016, 09:10:21 PM by Chalenge »
If you like the Sick Puppy Custom Sound Pack the please consider contributing for future updates by sending a months dues to Hitech Creations for account "Chalenge." Every little bit helps.

Offline Vudu15

• Gold Member
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2016, 08:21:26 PM »
I used FRAPS for the longest time I use Nividia shadowplay now and it works great, I then edit using Sony Vegas 13
"No odds too great"

"I was a horse ahead at the end" - Nathan Bedford Forrest
Training Video List https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL54E5CE

Offline lunatic1

• Gold Member
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2016, 11:48:13 AM »
ok thanks Fellas  this is so much over my head--guess i'll just settle for watching vudu's and Dolby's videos
C.O. of the 173rd Guardian Angels---Don't fire until you can see the whites of their eyes...Major devereux(The Battle Of Wake Island-1941.
R.I.P.49GRIN/GRIN-R.I.P. WWHISKEY R.I.P WIZZY R.I.P.

Offline LCADolby

• Platinum Member
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2016, 02:29:19 PM »
ok thanks Fellas  this is so much over my head--guess i'll just settle for watching vudu's and Dolby's videos

I think I best let you know that I don't think I am going to be making anymore films going into AH3.
I encourage you to make some and take my place on the filming scene, you can't do any worse and I'm sure a fresh face could do a lot better  :aok
JG5 "Eismeer"
YouTube-20Dolby10
Twitch - Glendinho

Offline Devil 505

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2016, 04:31:07 PM »
I think I best let you know that I don't think I am going to be making anymore films going into AH3.
What?!

Why?

:frown:
Kommando Nowotny

FlyKommando.com

Offline puller

• Gold Member
« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2016, 07:47:06 PM »
I encourage you to make some and take my place on the filming scene, you can't do any worse and I'm sure a fresh face could do a lot better  :aok

:noid
"The road to Hell is paved with good intentions."
CO   Anti-Horde

Offline Chalenge

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2016, 08:12:17 AM »

The community would be better off if you continued to make videos. You should continue to add your voice and help to expand the user base.
If you like the Sick Puppy Custom Sound Pack the please consider contributing for future updates by sending a months dues to Hitech Creations for account "Chalenge." Every little bit helps.

Offline LCADolby

• Platinum Member
« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2016, 03:30:46 PM »
I'll be honest and open; I just lack the time and energy to; fly AcesHigh, create films for AcesHigh and continue in my career all at the same time. Making films was a hobby I thoroughly enjoyed and has always been a celebration of Aceshigh. However it has never been economically viable, it's cost me monetarily in; software, time making the films (est. over 1000 hours), subscriptions, computers and stick set ups, leading me to try Twitch and I even monetised my YouTube channel. 20Dolby10 has been monetised for quiet some time and has amassed a magnificent $2.81 towards those costs. If I linked time to make films directly with adrev, that's $0.00281 per hour... I just can't do it anymore, the self funding period is over and has been over since I bought this new rig. An opportunity did arise, I gave it a shot and as things may have been beginning to fruit the SSD failure I had put pay to that. I can't afford to lose anymore time, and I can't see a company sponsoring my films with enough revenue to allow me to concentrate on filming. Plus I'm much better at my RL job than any AcesHigh film I've made  :lol
JG5 "Eismeer"
YouTube-20Dolby10
Twitch - Glendinho

Offline Chalenge

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #9 on: September 17, 2016, 07:59:23 PM »
Yeah, games just don't make money on YouTube channels, unless you are one of the fortunate ones that are "in." I've been doing it for just six months (monetized) and only made $1.93, but the videos that made the most were Aces High videos on DSR, and Controls of all things. I threw much more at sounds and never made a penny. I can see how setting up camera shots in AHFilm can be time consuming, which is one reason that kind of camera shot is rare in my videos.

Still, you have more than 100 subscribers, and that is a great beginning. Twitch must be helping a little? Anyway, my plan has always been to do gaming videos just for the experience of using the equipment and editors. It's a hobby that may, or may not, lead to better things. My goal is to be making animations on YouTube Red, so I set out goals and a pathway to achieve them. It is a career that just doesn't make money, which can be frustrating.

As to sponsorship I would not know how to go about it. I know gamers like Squirrel have got ASUS helping him, but he has made YouTube his career and he gets out there and meets game developers. Some of the other gamers dropped Aces High, because they could not attract the numbers from this game, which you do. So, maybe you can figure out a way to make it work?

Offline Chalenge

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #10 on: September 18, 2016, 07:45:42 AM »
3,500 views on one video? That's six times better than my best, so clearly we need to teach AH users how to watch ads, because that should have brought you $35 for that one video. I know. . . gamers don't watch ads. That's the whole problem!